Subject: RE: zeroconf and non-zeroconf scenarios

From: "Hattig, Myron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 16:15:49 -0700

Typo on last msg. The text was:
> Now someone purchases an xDSL gateway which also has a DHCP server 
> but the person does know enough to uninstall the PC software. 

The text should be: 
"but the person does NOT know"

-myron

---

From: "Bud Millwood" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 13:10:55 +0200

We have a product that some of you following this thread may be interested
in taking a look at. It's called DHCP Auto, and it's a self-bootstrapping
DHCP server for Win95/98 that has to deal with a lot of zeroconf issues. In
particular, you may be interested in the Technical Reference that ships with
the demo that describes what the server does in different scenarios. You can
find it at http://www.weird-solutions.com/product/index.html.

DHCP Auto:

a) bootstraps a Windows machine configured as a DHCP client by assigning
itself an address (Win98 can do this automatically)
b) runs in the background as a dynamic DHCP/dynamic BOOTP server
c) handles multiple DHCP servers through simple elections
d) handles nearly all cases of duplicate addresses by MAC hashing & arping
e) integrates with corporate DHCP servers by shutting down upon discovering
a corporate server (and retrieving an address from that server)
f) is limited to single segments

Re-reading this, it looks like an advertisement - it's not meant to be.

Bud Millwood
Weird Solutions, Inc.
http://www.weird-solutions.com
tel: +46 70 566 7803
fax: +46 8 758 3687
mailto:[email-masked]