Subject: RE: Static IP

From: "Barr Hibbs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 13:40:47 -0700

But the part of DHCP I really want is the ability to change the config on
PC's easily from one central location ( DNS/WINS/default gateway/etc)

We are undergoing a network structure change ( new server, new
gateway, new internet connection, etc ), and to do it in a controlled
manner, I don't want to have to go to every PC every time I change
the network configuration in such a way that all the PC's have to
be changed.

...you will have to *touch* every single host, forcing them to release and
renew their leases, to actually accomplish this...  unless, of course,  you
use very short (say, 1 hour) leases.

I really want to have PC's with meaningful names, and the only way
I can see to do this is the way I am.  PLEASE correct me if I am
wrong.

...your users will resist you like crazy, and defeat the entire purpose by
choosing their own names...

I really don't care what IP address a PC gets, I just want to know that
a PC sitting on Steve's desk is called "stevespc" when I want to get
to it.  Not "random_pc_99" or some such host.

...that means you MUST touch each machine...  Windows in particular does not
allow you to set the hostname, so all of your efforst may be for nought...