Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dhc-new-opt-msg-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 07:02:59 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Procedure for Defining New DHCP Options and Message 
                          Types
	Author(s)	: R. Droms
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dhc-new-opt-msg-01.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 12-Jun-00
	
The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) provides a framework
for passing configuration information to hosts on a TCP/IP network.
Configuration parameters and other control information are carried in
tagged data items that are stored in the 'options' field of the DHCP
message.  The data items themselves are also called 'options.'
DHCP protocol messages are identified by the 'DHCP Message Type'
option (option code 51).  Each message type is defined by the data
value carried in the 'DHCP Message Type' option.
New DHCP options and message types may be defined after the
publication of the DHCP specification to accommodate requirements for
conveyance of new configuration parameters or to accommodate new
protocol semantics. This document describes the procedure for
defining new DHCP options and message types.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-new-opt-msg-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dhc-new-opt-msg-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-new-opt-msg-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.