Subject: Update to RFC 2489

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 07:24:22 -0400

I've published "Procedure for Defining New DHCP
Options and Message Types" <draft-ietf-dhc-new-opt-msg-00.txt>,
which is intended to replace RFC 2489.  The new I-D
gives a procedure for issuing new DHCP message types as well as
new option codes.  We need to have this procedure in place
to assign a new message type code for the RECONFIGURE option
as described in <draft-ietf-dhc-pv4-reconfigure-00.txt>.

The draft mentions the new options review procedure,
which is currently documented in
draft-ietf-dhc-option-review-and-namespace-02.txt,
and requires that new options and message types be reviewed
through any new procedure accepted by the DHC WG.

This new document is a simple update to the current
procedure for accepting new options.  If the document
is not controversial, I will fast-track it through the
WG and go to last call some time next week.  If the WG
would like to engage in a longer discussion, the
document will go through the normal WG review procedure.

Please review the document and reply to the mailing
list with comments...

- Ralph