Subject: draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-option-04.txt

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 16:22:43 -0400

Ralph has indicated that this document is ready for advancement as a
PS. In reviewing this document, I have the following comments.

Question: how does this option relate to the ongoing work on DHCP
authentication? My understanding is that from a DHCP perspective,
there should be no conflict because a DHCP client adds this option,
and if it includes an authentication option, the authentication would
cover the subnet selection option. Right?

I.e., the "client" we normally think of as being the DHCP client (i.e,
the end machine that gets the address) doesn't actually exist in this
picture. This option is used by a proxy that is requesting addresses
on behalf of the "real" client, and the details of the interaction
between the proxy and "real" client aren't important.

Does this make sense?

Thomas

---

From: "Glenn Waters" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 09:17:25 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Narten [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 6, 2000 16:23
To: Waters, Glenn 
Cc: Ralph E. Droms; DHCPv4 discussion list
Subject: draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-option-04.txt

[gww] Right.

Does this make sense?
[gww] This all makes sense and is exactly correct.

Thomas 
Cheers, /gww