Subject: RE: router configuration

From: Bernie Volz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 17:08:36 -0400

Fundamentally, you could use DHCP to configure routers. I don't really see
any reason you couldn't.

But, you certainly would NOT want to use fully dynamic addresses since then
you won't know where your router was.

But, if you have fixed addresses assigned to the MAC addresses/client
identifiers for each interface, you could use it to assign addresses.

However, routers typically require a lot more configuration and DHCP was
never designed to communicate the remainder of that configuration
information.

Routers are also thought of as the plumbing for IP and therefore they are
usually assumed to be up and running as quickly as possible and hence use
flash memory to store configuration information (such as interface
addresses). 

Also, routers might be required to provide DHCP services (relaying) - since
otherwise you'd need a DHCP server on each "subnetwork".

- Bernie Volz
  IPWorks, Inc

-----Original Message-----
From: jie weng [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2000 4:53 PM
To: DHCPv4 discussion list
Subject: router configuration

Hi all,

    I have a question concerning the scope of the 
DHCP protocol.  In RFC (2131) section 1.3, it states
that "DHCP is not intended for use in configuring
routers."  My question is can DHCP be used for router
configuration and if not why?? Thanks

Jie

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Send instant messages with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com/