Subject: WG charter review

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:04:12 -0400

I've added an agenda item for Pittsburgh to review the WG charter and 
milestones.  Included below is our current charter (which is obviously 
sadly out of date).  If you have any suggestions, corrections (yes, I know 
there are five main objectives, not four) or other comments you'd like to 
make, please feel free to post them prior to next week's meeting.  In 
Pittsburgh, we'll take 30 minutes to draft an updated charter.

- Ralph Droms

Description of Working Group:

This working group has developed DHCP for automated allocation,
configuration and management of IP addresses and TCP/IP protocol stack
parameters.  DHCP is currently a "Draft Standard" (RFC2131, RFC2132).
The working group now has four main objectives:

* Revise and submit the DHCP specification for acceptance as a Full
   Standard

* Develop a roadmap for the review and acceptance of new options,
   define a new option syntax, develop an accurate list of assigned
   option codes and identify option codes that can be safely reassigned

* Develop a specification for DHCP for IPv6

* Develop an inter-server communication for coordination of multiple
   servers

* Review new options for DHCP, as deemed appropriate by the working
   group chair and/or the Internet area directors; specific options
   currently under review in the working group include:

   o Mechanisms for the authentication of clients and servers

   o Interaction between DHCP and DNS dynamic update protocol

   o Definition of a DHCP MIB for management of DHCP servers through SNMP

   O Definition of an LDAP schema to provide a standardized format for
     the storage and retrieval of DHCP information, primarily
     configuration and lease data; this schema will be developed in
     coordination with the Policy Frameworks Working Group as
     appropriate.

   o Options through which DHCP relay agents can pass information to DHCP
     servers

   o Other options: user class, server selection, domain search

Goals and Milestones:

Jun 1999    Submit Internet-Draft on subnet selection option in time
             for Oslo IETF.

Jun 1999    Submit Internet-Draft on LDAP schema for DHCP in time for
             Oslo IETF.

Jun 1999    Submit Internet-Draft on DHCP authentication in time for
             Oslo IETF.

Jun 1999    Submit Internet-Draft on failover protocol in time for
             Oslo IETF.

Jun 1999    Submit Internet-Draft on relay agent options in time for
             Oslo IETF.

Jun 1999    Submit Internet-Draft on DHCP-DNS interaction in time for
             Oslo IETF.

Jul 1999    Submit Internet-Draft on DHCP authentication for WG last
             call.

Jul 1999    Develop plan for review of DHCP specification and
             acceptance as Internet Standard.

Sep 1999    Submit DHCP server MIB specification for WG
             last call.

Sep 1999    Submit subnet selection option specification
             for WG last call.

Sep 1999    Interim meeting on failover protocol

Nov 1999    Submit DHCP server MIB specification for IESG
             consideration as a Proposed Standard.

Nov 1999    Submit LDAP schema specification for WG last
             call.

Nov 1999    Final review version of failover protocol specification

Mar 2000    Submit LDAP schema specification for IESG
             consideration as a Proposed Standard.

Mar 2000    Submit failover protocol specification for WG last call