Subject: DHCPv6, tues discussion point #4

From: "Michael W. Carney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 21:05:46 -0700

4) We have a request to clarify the client binding, specifically:

        a) Some messages (Request/Release) don't contain enough
        information to allow the server to identify the client's binding
        (subnet prefix missing). Thus, interaction with the relay for
        off-link clients seems to be a requirement. Otherwise, a client
        must be presented with some sort of unique link identifier
        provided in advertise messages for use in communication with the
        server. Comments?

        b) Server Implementor notes state that transaction ID MUST be
        associated with a releasable resource within a client's binding
        in order for the server to detect separate requests from
        retransmissions. The text is inconsistent WRT transaction IDs,
        transaction ID caches, ``R'' bit of a Request, requirements of a
        client to remember its last transaction ID.

        If the transaction ID is specified to be associated with a
        releasable resource within the client's binding, then ``R'' bit
        of Requests is no longer needed. Transaction ID caches then
        become an optional server implementation feature, not a
        requirement of the protocol. The description of bindings
        throughout the draft would be updated with this point in mind.