Subject: WG charter review

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:04:12 -0400

I've added an agenda item for Pittsburgh to review the WG charter and 
milestones.  Included below is our current charter (which is obviously 
sadly out of date).  If you have any suggestions, corrections (yes, I know 
there are five main objectives, not four) or other comments you'd like to 
make, please feel free to post them prior to next week's meeting.  In 
Pittsburgh, we'll take 30 minutes to draft an updated charter.

- Ralph Droms

Description of Working Group:

This working group has developed DHCP for automated allocation,
configuration and management of IP addresses and TCP/IP protocol stack
parameters.  DHCP is currently a "Draft Standard" (RFC2131, RFC2132).
The working group now has four main objectives:

* Revise and submit the DHCP specification for acceptance as a Full
   Standard

* Develop a roadmap for the review and acceptance of new options,
   define a new option syntax, develop an accurate list of assigned
   option codes and identify option codes that can be safely reassigned

* Develop a specification for DHCP for IPv6

* Develop an inter-server communication for coordination of multiple
   servers

* Review new options for DHCP, as deemed appropriate by the working
   group chair and/or the Internet area directors; specific options
   currently under review in the working group include:

   o Mechanisms for the authentication of clients and servers

   o Interaction between DHCP and DNS dynamic update protocol

   o Definition of a DHCP MIB for management of DHCP servers through SNMP

   O Definition of an LDAP schema to provide a standardized format for
     the storage and retrieval of DHCP information, primarily
     configuration and lease data; this schema will be developed in
     coordination with the Policy Frameworks Working Group as
     appropriate.

   o Options through which DHCP relay agents can pass information to DHCP
     servers

   o Other options: user class, server selection, domain search

Goals and Milestones:

Jun 1999    Submit Internet-Draft on subnet selection option in time
             for Oslo IETF.

Jun 1999    Submit Internet-Draft on LDAP schema for DHCP in time for
             Oslo IETF.

Jun 1999    Submit Internet-Draft on DHCP authentication in time for
             Oslo IETF.

Jun 1999    Submit Internet-Draft on failover protocol in time for
             Oslo IETF.

Jun 1999    Submit Internet-Draft on relay agent options in time for
             Oslo IETF.

Jun 1999    Submit Internet-Draft on DHCP-DNS interaction in time for
             Oslo IETF.

Jul 1999    Submit Internet-Draft on DHCP authentication for WG last
             call.

Jul 1999    Develop plan for review of DHCP specification and
             acceptance as Internet Standard.

Sep 1999    Submit DHCP server MIB specification for WG
             last call.

Sep 1999    Submit subnet selection option specification
             for WG last call.

Sep 1999    Interim meeting on failover protocol

Nov 1999    Submit DHCP server MIB specification for IESG
             consideration as a Proposed Standard.

Nov 1999    Submit LDAP schema specification for WG last
             call.

Nov 1999    Final review version of failover protocol specification

Mar 2000    Submit LDAP schema specification for IESG
             consideration as a Proposed Standard.

Mar 2000    Submit failover protocol specification for WG last call

---

From: Bernie Volz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:20:52 -0400

Ralph:

Regarding the charter and the schema and LOADB, how about the following
milestones:

SCHEMA:
Sep 00	Submit revised Internet-Draft on LDAP schema for DHCP.

Nov 00	Submit LDAP schema specification for WG last call.

Jan 01	Submit LDAP schema specification for IESG consideration as a
		Proposed Standard.

LOADB:
Aug 00	Submit Load Balancing specification for WG last call.

Oct 00	Submit Load Balancing specification for IESG consideration
		as a Proposed Standard.

I'm sure Kim will have a proposal for FAILOVER, but here's my 2 cents:

Sep 00	Interim meeting (conference call) on failover protocol

Nov 00	Submit Internet-Draft on LDAP schema for DHCP in time for
		San Diego IETF

Jan 01	Final review version of failover protocol specification

Feb 01	Submit failover protocol specification for WG last call

Apr 01	Submit failover protocol for IESG consideration as a
		Proposed Standard.

I suspect that the above timetables are somewhat aggressive, but I think it
is better to err on that side to push us into doing it.

BTW: Has the WG discussed whether to take on Dynamic Registration and
Configuration Protocol (DRCP) by A. McAuley, S. Das, S. Madhani, S. Baba, Y.
Shobatake, draft-itsumo-drcp-01.txt. (Haven't read this version yet so can't
comment on its merit.)

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Droms [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 1:04 PM
To: DHCPv4 discussion list
Subject: WG charter review

- Ralph Droms

Goals and Milestones: