Subject: RE: draft-ietf-dhc-userclass-08.txt

From: Jerry Roy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 13:49:07 -0700

Shouldn't QOS be done at BOTH the IP and Mac Layers?

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Narten [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2000 12:38 PM
To: DHCPv4 discussion list
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-dhc-userclass-08.txt 

Hi Bernie.

> I wonder what world the IESG lives in?

You aren't the first person to wonder that. :-)

> While I would question whether this option would be used to do this,
> this is exactly what several companies we've been dealing with want
> to do.

I think the issue is scalability. So while some folks may think it
makes sense to do QOS based on IP addresses if they haven't thought
through it in a lot of detail, it's not clear that its used in
anything other than very restricted environments. It certainly isn't
used in backbones.  But as you say, debating this point is probably
academic.

Thomas