Subject: RE: Use of DHCID in draft-ietf-dhc-dhcp-dns-12

From: Bernie Volz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 23:48:57 -0400

I think some previous discussion had suggested the use of the TXT record
instead? But, I could be wrong.

Perhaps Mark Stapp will jump in here and answer some of these issues.

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2000 10:02 AM
To: DHCPv4 discussion list
Subject: RE: Use of DHCID in draft-ietf-dhc-dhcp-dns-12

Thanks for the reply. I do understand the concept of who owns each record.
I just didn't see a purpose for the DHCID associated with the PTR, other
than as you suggested, it being a mechanism for an administrator to try and
tell who updated the record. Although, if it is "scrambled" via a hash
algorithm, I'm still not sure how useful it would be.

I guess I was just looking for a more definitive answer, like "oh that's
there because in the next version of the draft you'll see...." or "Yes you
are correct, and there really isn't a need for a DHCID record associated
with a PTR record."

Presently, since BIND8 DNS doesn't support DHCID (at least to my
knowledge), does anyone see a problem with using the KEY RR in place of the
DHCID which was the proposed method in a previous version of the subject
draft? At least that way a DHCP server capable of dynamic DNS updates could
be developed now that would interface to any BIND 8 DNS server.

Jack Corcoran
[email-masked]
 Ph  607-752-5570,  T/L 852-5570, FAX: 607-752-5421