Subject: DHCP relay agent in multi-hop environment

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 17:23:25 -0500

All,
How doe the DHCP relay argent work in the environment where the DHCP server
is several switches(layer 3)/routers away from the users?  For example, if
I have a hierarchical network model (core switches/routers-distribution
switches/routers--access switches/routers-client), dhcp servers are hanging
off the core, how would the relay agent work in this model?  Or would it
work at all?

thanks!
Hannah
-----
I/T Network Support,
IBM Global Services SDC-North, Rochester, MN
Phone 507-253-4100    Tieline 553-4100

---

From: Bernie Volz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 18:49:18 -0400

It would work just fine.

The relays need to be at the "edge" (on each network). Routers are often
relays.

The relays forward packets to the servers, which are at configured addresses
(the relays are given the addresses). The network routing handles delivering
these packets to the servers since they are unicast (and back from the
servers to the relays, again since they are unicast packets). Once the relay
receives a reply, it sends it out to the client (either via unicast or via
broadcast).

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2000 6:23 PM
To: DHCPv4 discussion list
Subject: DHCP relay agent in multi-hop environment

All,

thanks!
Hannah
-----
I/T Network Support,