Subject: Re: Unauthorized DHCP servers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:03:00 -0500

>In the case of the legal server, since it's on a separate segment as the
>client, it will unicast it's reply packet to the relay agent, the relay
>agent then either unicast  or broadcast to the client.  Now how the relay
>agent decide whether to unicast or broadcast the packet to the client?

The relay agent uses the same rules described above for deciding between
unicast and broadcast.
When you use a network analyzer to grab the DHCP messages, are you seeing
responses from both the authorized and unauthorized servers?  Are those
messages broadcast or unicast?

- Ralph Droms

--------------------------
I saw responses from both the authorized and unauthorized servers and they
both were broadcast.  And it seems to me that the NAK came from the
unauthorized server arrived later then the ACK from the authorized server.
But the client pickup the NAK from the unauthorized server anyway... That's
really what confused me.

Hannah