Subject: can the DatagramID be the same in client and server packet

From: Pratap Devatha <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 17:49:01 -0700

Hi,

Iam trying to debug a DHCP server.
Following is part of capture on a sniffer.

First is the request from the client and the second
reply from server.

I observed that in both the packets, "DatagramID=
5b8".
Should this be a problem????

Thanking U,
Pratap

Client Packet

tick=293961  Pkt= 212 of 212  C2 size= 342 = 0x156 prot=8 ===
E  H    €            D C 4zR     7 !
&
c Sc5  =     &  2    8  Kyle < MSFT 987     ,./+M                 !  7

====V_H=45 TOS_IPLengt= 0 DatagramID= 5b8, Frg Area=0, TOL=80,
Prot-id=11 Hdr-cksum=a081 SIP= 0.0.0.0 DIP= 255.255.255.255 UDP msg
SPort=68, TPort=67 HDRLen=0x3401, CheckSum=0x527a

Mac Src =  0: 1: 2:26:a6: 8 dest = ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Server Packet

 tick=293965  Pkt= 213 of 213  C1 size= 582 = 0x246 prot=8 ===
E  8    €            C D $V      7 !
&
c Sc 5        :     ;   'P3   Q€6                H,     .
!
7 7J
====

====V_H=45 TOS_IPLengt= 0 DatagramID= 5b8, Frg Area=0, TOL=80,
Prot-id=11 Hdr-cksum=9dd1 SIP= 172.16.3.2 DIP= 255.255.255.255 UDP msg
SPort=67, TPort=68 HDRLen=0x2402, CheckSum=0xa956

Mac Src =  8: 0:3e: 3: 2: 2 dest = ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:01:40 -0400

> I observed that in both the packets, "DatagramID= 5b8".  Should this
> be a problem????

I sincerely doubt that this is the problem.  (I assume you are having
a problem... :')

If you have a problem, why not tell us what it is, and maybe we can
help you.  Actually, unless you're asking about protocol issues (i.e.,
you're an implementor), it's usually better not to ask here - if you
are using the ISC DHCP server, send mail to [email-masked] (you
have to subscribe first).  If you are using some other server, the
[email-masked] mailing list is appropriate.   If this is a
protocol question, I'm sorry for dumping all this extraneous
information on you.   :'}

			       _MelloN_