Subject: how to simulate multiple DHCP clients ?

From: Fabrice Kah <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 16:34:22 +0200 (CEST)

hello,

In order to test a DHCP server, I need to simulate
multiple DHCP clients (50 to 500 at the same time). I
would like to know if it is possible to do this using
only a few workstations, with a few network cards.
I tried to do this using a windowsNT workstation, by
changing the value
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/IBMTRP1/Parameters/Tcpip/DhcpClientIdentifier
in the registery, but this doesn't seem to work for
more than 3 clients. Can anyone help me or tell me if
there is a way to do this on Solaris or on Linux ?
___________________________
Fabrice KAH
[email-masked]
+33 (0) 4 92 11 41 04

___________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Achetez, vendez! À votre prix! Sur http://encheres.yahoo.fr

---

From: C J Considine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 08:18:50 -0700

Just pretend to be a DHCP forwarding agent.  Then you can script
as many clients as you want without messing with multiple MAC
addresses. All you really lose is client pingability and server
ARP table overhead.  It is also possible to hack the DHCP client
to run multiple interfaces with funny MAC addresses, but what
does it gain?  We built a database of test packets and responses,
with 10 second lease times it tests quickly.