Subject: RE: Failover and DHC load balancing algorithm

From: Bernie Volz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 09:56:11 -0400

Laurence:

I know of no implementations of the Load Balancing algorithm (though it
should be relatively simple to add to an existing server).

There are several implementations of the failover protocol. Ted Lemon has
been working on adding that support to the ISC DHCP Server. Cisco and
IPWorks have shipping implementations - though these use UDP and are based
on an earlier version of the draft (03) with many enhancements based on
later versions of the draft (we learned from our implementations and
incorporated these into later drafts). There may be others out there that
I'm not aware of (either shipping or under development).

- Bernie Volz
  IPWorks, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurence Brockman [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2000 10:42 PM
To: DHCPv4 discussion list
Subject: Failover and DHC load balancing algorithm

Does anyone know of a DHCP server that implements either the DHCP failover
protocol outlined in the Internet Draft or the DHC load balancing algorithm
outlined in it's respective Internet Draft?

I am more interested in the load balancing algorithm or something similar
that allows a load balancing scheme to be put in place (Reliably).

Any ideas or suggestions (Sorry if this is a FAQ)...

Thanks in advance,
Laurence

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 13:01:58 -0700

> been working on adding that support to the ISC DHCP Server.

We do have load balancing.   I just used the algorithm in the draft.
:')

			       _MelloN_