Subject: Static address allocation regardless of GIADDR

From: "Rich Rommes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 14:53:55 -0600

Folks:

                Is there a way to statically allocate an address to a
client and have the DHCP server ignore the GIADDR so that it allocates
an address regardless of what subnet is represented by the GIADDR field
? This is for those case where the router can only pass a single GIADDR
even though it has multiple sub-interfaces.
                Please excuse me if this question has been asked before,
and could someone point me to the archives ?

                Thanks, Rich.

--
Richard Rommes
Broadband Access Systems (BAS)
Director of Business Development and Network Architecture
Phone 303-884-6141
Email: [email-masked]
Pager: 888-952-0555
FAx: 303-681-2295
www.basystems.com

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:27:45 -0400

> and could someone point me to the archives ?

I don't know of any DHCP servers that _don't_ support this - it's a
very common configuration!   :')   On the ISC/Nominum DHCP server,
you need to use the shared-network statement.   I think Microsoft
calls these superscopes.   I don't know much about the other DHCP
servers that are available, so I can't tell you how to figure out how
to configure them - sorry about that.

BTW, as you can probably see from my rather general answer, it's
usually better to go to a mailing list or support service that's
specific to your DHCP server rather than asking for help on the IETF
DHCP working group mailing list (this mailing list).   The ISC DHCP
server is supported on the [email-masked] mailing list; Nominum
and Microsoft both charge for support.

			       _MelloN_