Subject: RE: Running redundent DHCP servers...

From: Bernie Volz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 15:32:50 -0400

Well, look at draft-ietf-dhc-failover-07.txt and
draft-ietf-dhc-loadb-02.txt.

However, only a few servers exist that implement the failover concepts
(Cisco and IPWorks) and I don't believe any exist that implement the load
balancing concept.

There are some options, though not great, with 'standard' servers. Splitting
the lease pool and running both servers is one option (though it does have
issues when a server is down and requires other care, as well as potentially
large lease pools).

- Bernie Volz
  IPWorks, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry H. Raab [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2000 1:22 PM
To: DHCPv4 discussion list
Subject: Running redundent DHCP servers...

I need to set up a 2nd DHCP server for redundency (sp?)

Is there a way to put the 2nd server is a state that only comes up if
the first one comes down?

Or is there a way to load balance between the 2 servers?

Thanks,

Larry Raab

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 15:47:21 -0400

> (Cisco and IPWorks) and I don't believe any exist that implement the load

The latest version of the ISC/Nominum server does support this, but the
support is brand new, and so it's a bit early to start deploying it in
production.

			       _MelloN_