Subject: RE: Design team teleconference, 8/31

From: Bernie Volz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 09:09:16 -0400

Recall that we did want a quick way for a client to get an address in DHCPv6
- a single message in each direction.

So, perhaps we use the old "DISCOVER" message to perform this function
(adding a new message to DHCPv6). Or, perhaps the DHCPSOLICIT can include an
option that would say to the server give me some addreses.

I do like the new DHCPv6 method better than the DHCPv4 method since it
doesn't require the server to temporarily reserve an address for a short
time. While with V6 we have plenty of address space, it just seems a bad way
to go to me.

How many DHCPv4 clients really take a look at what the server is offering
and base a decision on whether to accept on that? I suspect most clients
take the first offer they receive.

- Bernie Volz

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Lemon [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2000 1:41 AM
To: DHCPv6 discussion list
Subject: Re: Design team teleconference, 8/31

The advantage of DHCPDISCOVER/DHCPOFFER is that the DHCPDISCOVER
message asks for an IP address, and DHCPOFFER can say "this is the
address I will give you if you pick me."  DHCPsolicit/DHCPadvertise
doesn't provide this functionality.  I think that this is useful
functionality, and I am loath to give it up.

I can see why you like your new way of doing things, but there is
definitely a good reason to continue with the old method, or at least
so it seems to me.  Is this a strong enough reason to go back?   I
can't say.   In my mind it is.   It sounds like Ralph agrees.   I'd be
interested in seeing if anybody else wants to weigh in on the issue.

			       _MelloN_

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 10:33:41 -0700

> take the first offer they receive.

The Windows 95 client went to the opposite extreme - it looked at the
address and wouldn't accept it unless it was the one it used to have
or was on a different subnet.   I don't know what newer Windows
clients do.

			       _MelloN_

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 16:32:56 -0400

>option that would say to the server give me some addreses.

I think we should add this to the solicit.

>take the first offer they receive.

Also with advertise in dhcpv6 we now have preference field the client
can wait solicit_timers to get a certain number of responses.
We should add but I think the it must be made to not be the case for
mobile nodes.

Or we just make the default for preference 255 and that way the
administrators own changing it.

regards,
/jim