Subject: renewal time

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 12:04:48 -0400

for the renewal time?  should we pass this in the packets or just use
algorithm to determine the time in the spec.  mike and I are beginning
to edit the specs.

personally I don't care but if we can save bytes in the packet and keep
msgs shorter that would be good and one of things we were told people
wanted from dhcpv6.

thanks
/jim

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:32:28 -0700

> algorithm to determine the time in the spec.  mike and I are beginning

I don't think there's a good technical reason to have the server
calculate the renewal time.   The only reason I suggest having the
server do it is that it's less likely that the implementor will screw
up their implementation and release a client that gets into renewal
storms when one of its addresses becomes non-renewable.   Based on my
experience in IPv4 land, I actually think this is a strong enough
reason to justify the additional 64 bytes from the server.

			       _MelloN_