Subject: Re: IP conflict

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 09:21:21 -0500

Hi Abe,

You can run the dos command "winipcfg".  A pop up menu will come up and this has a button on it that says "release all".  Select it and this will release the IP address then click on "renew all" to request another address from the dhcp server.

Dan

[email-masked]@[email-masked] on 09/05/2000 07:53:04 AM
Please respond to [email-masked]@SMTP 
Sent by:	[email-masked]
To:	[email-masked]@SMTP
cc:	 
Subject:	IP conflict
Classification:	Restricted
Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me out here.
At my office we have about 10.000 workstations and PC's. Most of them are
Windows95/osr2.
About 75% of these PC use DHCP. We use the Microsoft DHCP Server on NT 4.
Now when you have as much PC's as we do your bound to run into duplicate
error messages on the Windows95 stations. And so we do about once every two
weeks. Somehow to me it seems as if the Windows95 implementation of the DHC
Protocol refuses to let go of it's previous IP adress and simply want
continue working when the DHCP servers NACKS it's renewal request. What we
do now is is we give this machine a static IP adress for a period of a week,
and then return it to DHCP. This works most of the time but just doesn't
seem the best solution for this problem. Can anyone tell me what i can do
best in these cases. Also can someone tell me if my suspison about the
Windows95 implementation fo DHCP is kinda wrong, and if this is better of
fixed in Windows NT?

Thanks a lot

Abe Boersma
Rabofacet
the Netherlands
[email-masked]

================================================
De informatie opgenomen in dit bericht kan vertrouwelijk zijn en
is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Indien u dit bericht
onterecht ontvangt, wordt u verzocht de inhoud niet te gebruiken en
de afzender direct te informeren door het bericht te retourneren.
================================================
The information contained in this message may be confidential
and is intended to be exclusively for the addressee. Should you
receive this message unintentionally, please do not use the contents
herein and notify the sender immediately by return e-mail.