Subject: RE: Protocol Action: The User Class Option for DHCP to Proposed Standard

From: "A. Gregory Rabil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 18:09:14 -0400

Has anyone given thought to the implications involved with the existing
Microsoft Windows 2000 DHCP clients that use this option?  Specifically, MS
W2K clients use option 77, but they don't have/support the multiple user
classes as defined in this latest revision.  This seems like a very big
interoperability problem for servers that are using this option with W2K
clients today.

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf
Of The IESG
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2000 2:16 PM
To: IETF-Announce: ;
Cc: RFC Editor; Internet Architecture Board; [email-masked]
Subject: Protocol Action: The User Class Option for DHCP to Proposed
Standard

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'The User Class Option for
DHCP' <draft-ietf-dhc-userclass-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary

This document defines a DHCP option that is used by a DHCP client to
optionally identify the type or category of user or applications it
represents. The information contained in this option is an opaque
field that represents the user class of which the client is a member.
Based on this class, a DHCP server selects the appropriate address
pool to assign an address to the client and the appropriate
configuration parameters.  This option should be configurable by a
user.

Working Group Summary

There was strong support for this option within the WG, and no issues
were raised during the IETF Last Call.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.

---

From: "A. Gregory Rabil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:30:45 -0400

I apologize for the repost, but I hear crickets... anyone care to comment?

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of A. Gregory Rabil
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2000 6:09 PM
To: DHCPv4 discussion list
Subject: RE: Protocol Action: The User Class Option for DHCP to Proposed
Standard

Greg

-----Original Message-----

Technical Summary

Working Group Summary

Protocol Quality