Subject: Problem running DHCPD over FDDI

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 09:27:22 +0200

We have recently installed DHCP-2.0-5 via RPM on a Linux Red Hat server 
using version 2.2.16.
This server uses a fddi network card.
We have a transferred the dhcpd.conf file from the current DHCPD server 
(this uses eth0).

When we start the deamon on the new DHCPD server, it appears to start ok, 
but when we try to log on using this server
the PC cannot find the DHCPD Server, If we reconfigure the server to use 
eth0 it works ok.

Does anyone know how to get the server to function using fddi or where I 
can find out what I need to do?

Thanks

Tony

---

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:54:35 -0700

draft-aboba-dhc-domsearch-00.txt has been posted to the IETF archive:
 http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-aboba-dhc-domsearch-00.txt

Comments welcome.

---

From: Roop Mukherjee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 15:10:50 -0400 (EDT)

Plrease find attached, the abstract of the draft and a url for the same. I
am seekign comments from the working group as well the mailing list in
general.

Thanks,
Roop Mukherjee

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Extensions to DHCP for Roaming Users
	Author(s)	: B. Mukherjee, B. Gage, Y. Liu, J. Melzer
	Filename	: draft-mukherjee-dhc-dhcproam-00.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 17-Oct-00
	
This draft proposes enhancements to DHCP so that it can be used to
securely provide dynamic configuration to roaming mobile hosts. The
problem has two major aspects: 1) adding extensible, inter-domain,
user and network authentication functionality to DHCP and 2) to
allow DHCP to function without relying on link layer specific
mechanisms. The first feature would allow authenticated and audited
visited network usage for roaming users while the second feature
would allow DHCP to be used in the new environments like the
wireless data networks. The authentication mechanism proposed here
interacts with existing public Authentication, Authorization, and
Accounting (AAA) mechanisms, thus enabling per customer
authentication authorization and accounting across multiple domains.
In addition, we propose a mechanism that enables the client to
authenticate the DHCP server that has provided it with configuration
parameters. We also describe a mechanism that allows DHCP to work
independent of link layer broadcasts and addressing.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mukherjee-dhc-dhcproam-00.txt