Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Clarification on RFC 2131 and RFC 3046

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 17:33:52 -0500

Andre,

Thanks for catching this problem, and for your patience in bringing us all 
up to speed.

So, there a discrepancy or conflict between section 4of RFC3046 
(specifically text about use of client ID) and RFC2131.  I agree that the 
discrepancy should be addressed formally by the dhc WG.  Any objections 
from the WG?

To address the discrepancy, I think that RFC3046 should be brought into 
line with RFC2131 regarding the use of client id.  Agreed?

Assuming we've gotten this far without objection, the next step would be to 
generate the appropriate text or edits for RFC3046.  Once we've determined 
the text, we can determine the strategy for publishing the fix - for 
example, revving RFC3046.

Any volunteers to generate that text?

- Ralph

At 09:14 AM 1/15/2003 -0800, Kostur, Andre wrote:

>I think you're misunderstanding my question.  At no point have I suggested 
>that the DHCP server uses the remote ID as the only piece of information 
>used to distinguish a client.
>
>RFC 2131, section 4.2 dictates that a DHCP server must use the Client 
>Identifier (if supplied, CHADDR if it's not) to identify a client.
>
>RFC 3046, section 4.0 suggests that the DHCP server uses the CHADDR and 
>Remote ID to identify a client.  Both pieces are used to prevent end-users 
>from spoofing CHADDRs, but does not acknowledge that the Client ID must 
>(or should) be used if the client supplied it.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Kostur, Andre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:00:44 -0800

You're welcome :)

And, I volunteer to submit the text.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ralph Droms [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 2:34 PM
> To: Kostur, Andre
> Cc: 'Ted Lemon'; Kostur, Andre; [email-masked]'
> Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Clarification on RFC 2131 and RFC 3046
> 
> 
> Andre,
>