Subject: RE: [dhcwg] WG last call on draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-stateless-00.tx t

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 07:20:53 -0500

There are three mechanisms available:
a. Whenever the client would normally determine that its stateless addresses
are suspect, after confirming them or obtaining new addresses, it can use
Information-Request to obtain new parameters. Note that a client may also
use triggers such as existing address lifetimes expiring (if a prefix is
has expired, it likely means some changes to the networks configuration and
hence doing an Information-Request to obtain updated parameters may be in
order).
b. The server can send a Reconfigure provided the client has communicated it
is able/willing to support this in the Information-Request.
c. The client is free to do Information-Requests at times of its choosing
(there is no prohibition against doing this). Of course, the client
should not do this too frequently.

If someone feels these mechanisms are insufficient, they could always write
a draft that specifies an "Information Lifetime" or "Information Renewal Time"
at which point the client could refresh the information. This option could
specify T1 and T2 times - at T1 the client renews by including the server
identifier option of the server that gave it the configuration parameters, at
T2 it removes this option and any server may respond to the Information-Request.

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: SHIRASAKI Yasuhiro [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 1:53 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] WG last call on
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-stateless-00.txt

> 2. how to invalidate stale configuration parameters
> 
> The stateless usage does not have the notion of Renew or Rebind.  So,
> how the client can purge configuration parameters (e.g. DNS addresses)
> when they become invalidated?  I guess we need a some kind of
> "timeout" parameter, which suggests to the client that it refresh the
> parameters in a certain period.

or the server "advertises" when the parameters change?

--
SHIRASAKI Yasuhiro @ NTT Communications
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg