Subject: [Dime] Problems w/definition of Origin-Realm & Destination-Realm AVPs

From: "Glen Zorn \(gwz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:34:35 -0700

RFC 3588 states that both the Destination-Realm & Origin-Realm AVPs are
"of type DiameterIdentity" (sections 6.6 & 6.4).  However,
DiameterIdentity is defined in section 4.3 as "DiameterIdentity = FQDN";
further, the same section says the 'the contents of the string [portion
of the AVP] MUST be the FQDN of the Diameter node'.  Virtually all of
the examples in the RFC contradict this definition, showing the contents
of the string as the FQDN minus everything to the left of the first '.',
and the '.' itself.  AFAIK, this is not an FQDN.  I think that this
really needs to be fixed, possibly by introducing a new derived string
type (DiameterRealm?), possibly based upon the ABNF for the NAI realm
(RFC 2486).  OTOH, IIRC the reason why there are separate AVPs for
Origin-Host and Origin-Realm was to decouple the DNS domain and Diameter
realm, so that the realm can be different from the domain, so we may
wish to define a less restrictive format.

~gwz

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:10:46 +0300

Hi,

> I think that this really needs to be fixed

I agree. In draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-12.txt the type
of Origin-Realm and Destination-Realm was UTF8String.
I think that was correct.

Then in draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-13.txt it was still
UTF8String in the AVP-table, but in the text the
type was changed to DiameterIdentity. I'm not really
sure why this change was made, but the conflict seems
to be there also in draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-17.txt.

Unfortunately for the final RFC version the type in
the AVP-table was updated to DiameterIdentity instead of
updating the type in the text to UTF8String.

BR,
Mikko Aittola

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ext Glen Zorn (gwz) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 27 April, 2006 01:35
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: Glen Zorn (gwz)
> Subject: [Dime] Problems w/definition of Origin-Realm & 
> Destination-RealmAVPs
>