Subject: [Dime] Requirement for the addition of Auditing Functionality to Diameter

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 17:37:44 +0200

Hi all, 

Avri and Ulf submitted a draft about "Requirement for the addition of
Auditing Functionality to Diameter". 

Abstract 
Diameter is being increasingly included in the work of other standards
organizations and has become a key protocol in many architectures. One
of the uses of Diameter includes setting and maintaining hard state.
Often there is a need to query for information on active sessions for
backup or synchronization purposes. 

Please find the draft at before it will appear in the archive:

http://psg.com/~avri/dime/draft-bodin-dime-auditing-reqs-00.txt

Ciao
Hannes

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 06:23:22 +0300

Hi all,
 
Hopefully Ulf/Avri are on the list, but I wonder if there is any overlap
to this expired draft:
 
<http://quimby.gnus.org/internet-drafts/draft-calhoun-diameter-res-mgm>
http://quimby.gnus.org/internet-drafts/draft-calhoun-diameter-res-mgm
<http://quimby.gnus.org/internet-drafts/draft-calhoun-diameter-res-mgmt-
08.txt> t-08.txt

thanks,
John

________________________________

	From: ext Tschofenig, Hannes
[mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: 21 June, 2006 18:38
	To: [email-masked]
	Cc: [email-masked]
	Subject: [Dime] Requirement for the addition of Auditing
Functionality toDiameter

	Hi all, 

	Avri and Ulf submitted a draft about "Requirement for the
addition of Auditing Functionality to Diameter". 

	Abstract 
	Diameter is being increasingly included in the work of other
standards organizations and has become a key protocol in many
architectures. One of the uses of Diameter includes setting and
maintaining hard state. Often there is a need to query for information
on active sessions for backup or synchronization purposes. 

	http://psg.com/~avri/dime/draft-bodin-dime-auditing-reqs-00.txt
<http://psg.com/~avri/dime/draft-bodin-dime-auditing-reqs-00.txt>  

	Ciao 
	Hannes

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:08:02 +0200

Hi John,

yes, there certainly is an overlap. The previous draft expired a long 
time ago and Avri wanted to initiate the discussions in DIME again 
because of recent work done in other organizations.

I encouraged here to submit something.

Ciao
Hannes

[email-masked] wrote:
> __ 
> <http://quimby.gnus.org/internet-drafts/draft-calhoun-diameter-res-mgm>_http://quimby.gnus.org/internet-drafts/draft-calhoun-diameter-res-mgm 
> <http://quimby.gnus.org/internet-drafts/draft-calhoun-diameter-res-mgmt-08.txt>_t-08.txt
> 
> thanks,
> John
> 
> 
>     ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     *From:* ext Tschofenig, Hannes [mailto:[email-masked]]
>     *Sent:* 21 June, 2006 18:38
>     *To:* [email-masked]
>     *Cc:* [email-masked]
>     *Subject:* [Dime] Requirement for the addition of Auditing
>     Functionality toDiameter
> 
>     Hi all,
> 
>     Avri and Ulf submitted a draft about "Requirement for the addition
>     of Auditing Functionality to Diameter".
> 
>     Abstract
>     maintaining hard state. Often there is a need to query for
>     information on active sessions for backup or synchronization purposes.
> 
>     _http://psg.com/~avri/dime/draft-bodin-dime-auditing-reqs-00.txt_
> 
> 
>     Ciao
>     Hannes
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:49:19 -0400

Hi,

On 21 jun 2006, at 23.23, <[email-masked]>  
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Hopefully Ulf/Avri are on the list, but I wonder if there is any  
> overlap to this expired draft:
>
> http://quimby.gnus.org/internet-drafts/draft-calhoun-diameter-res- 
> mgmt-08.txt

yes, we definitely aware of the expired draft (and i am on the list  
not sure about Ulf).

we are proposing that the requirements in the draft be reviewed and  
then if the group agrees that the requirements warrant it and when  
they are complete, that the older draft be reviewed, revived and  
reworked if appropriate.

btw, the official id notice:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/i-d-announce/current/msg10758.html

a.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 05:51:23 +0300

Thanks for the quick reply.  This sounds like a reasonable start - it
would be good to get people to read the draft and comment on the general
problem.
 
thanks,
John

	From: ext Avri Doria [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: 22 June, 2006 21:49
	To: Loughney John (Nokia-NRC/Helsinki)
	Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
	Subject: Re: [Dime] Requirement for the addition of Auditing
Functionality toDiameter

	Hi, 

		Hi all,
		 
		Hopefully Ulf/Avri are on the list, but I wonder if
there is any overlap to this expired draft:

08.txt>
08.txt>

	yes, we definitely aware of the expired draft (and i am on the
list not sure about Ulf).

	we are proposing that the requirements in the draft be reviewed
and then if the group agrees that the requirements warrant it and when
they are complete, that the older draft be reviewed, revived and
reworked if appropriate.

	a.

---

From: Anders Kristensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 14:41:24 -0400

This draft does seem like it could be very useful. Some comments...

The starting point of the draft is that of a rebooted device not knowing 
its state. I wonder if the scope could be expanded to cover failover 
scenarios, e.g. allow a backup node, typically a node belonging to the 
same realm as the failed element, to audit sessions belonging to the 
failed node and take them over (which would amount to the peer 
associating the session with the backup node). This probably raises all 
sorts of issues, some security issues for a start, but could be very useful.

I imagine that for some implementations the validity of a returned 
Query-Index would be time limited -- if the initial query resulted in 
some state being created on the server it will be treated as soft state. 
Does the draft need to talk about that, e.g. have the server indicate in 
the answer how long the Query-Index will be valid or mandate a minimum time?

Should the querying party have a say in how much state is returned in 
one answer?

The peer returns generic (common across apps) and appliation specific 
per-session state. I'm thinking the generic state listed should include 
Class AVPs (cookies) that the peer has stored on behalf of the client 
and also time until the session expires. There are probably other things.

Thanks,
Anders

[email-masked] wrote:
>     *From:* ext Avri Doria [mailto:[email-masked]]
>     *Sent:* 22 June, 2006 21:49
>     *To:* Loughney John (Nokia-NRC/Helsinki)
>     *Cc:* [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
>     *Subject:* Re: [Dime] Requirement for the addition of Auditing
>     Functionality toDiameter
> 
>     Hi,
> 
>     On 21 jun 2006, at 23.23, <[email-masked]
>     <mailto:[email-masked]>> <[email-masked]
>     <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 
>>     Hi all,
>>      
>>     <http://quimby.gnus.org/internet-drafts/draft-calhoun-diameter-res-mgmt-08.txt>_
>>     <http://quimby.gnus.org/internet-drafts/draft-calhoun-diameter-res-mgmt-08.txt>
>>     <http://quimby.gnus.org/internet-drafts/draft-calhoun-diameter-res-mgmt-08.txt>t-08.txt
>>
>