Subject: [Dime] Diameter basics and Apps questions

From: "Bartosz Baranowski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 22:17:12 +0200

Hi. I have few questions about diameter base protocol ( and overall diameter
) , avp values and some app questions ( Sh interface ).
I got through TS's and rfc but thats plain technical knowledge, no examples,
no place to start with.
If someone could enlighten me i would be grateful.

So here it goes.

Is session always estabilished? According to TS's and rfc Session-Id is
required AVP, but for instance Sh messages look a lot like request-reposnse
oriented ( Session-Id is required AVP ) Sh doesnt have any means to
estabilish session. Each time server receives request it checks if
requesting enity has access to requested service/information.
Or maybe session is estabilished only by sending request with session-id ??

what is corellation between header value of application Id and
Auth-Application-Id and Acc-Application-Id ?? And Vendor-Specific-App-Id?
If header value of application_id is Sh# does this imply that Auth-App-Id or
Acc-App-id in Vendor-Spec-app-id will have Sh#  value? ( Does it work the
same for not grouped Auth-App-Id and Acc-App-id )

Regards
-- 
Bartosz Baranowski
_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 09:05:16 +0300

Bartosz,
 
The question seems to be more about the Sh interface, which is actually
standardized in 3GPP, so I think that 3GPP would be the place to ask
your questions.  I don't have the right mailing list for it, but maybe
someone else on this mailing list does.
 
John

________________________________

	From: ext Bartosz Baranowski [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: 01 June, 2006 23:17
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: [Dime] Diameter basics and Apps questions

	Hi. I have few questions about diameter base protocol ( and
overall diameter ) , avp values and some app questions ( Sh interface ).
	I got through TS's and rfc but thats plain technical knowledge,
no examples, no place to start with. 
	If someone could enlighten me i would be grateful.
	
	So here it goes.
	
	Is session always estabilished? According to TS's and rfc
Session-Id is required AVP, but for instance Sh messages look a lot like
request-reposnse oriented ( Session-Id is required AVP ) Sh doesnt have
any means to estabilish session. Each time server receives request it
checks if requesting enity has access to requested service/information. 
	Or maybe session is estabilished only by sending request with
session-id ??
	
	what is corellation between header value of application Id and
Auth-Application-Id and Acc-Application-Id ?? And
Vendor-Specific-App-Id? 
	If header value of application_id is Sh# does this imply that
Auth-App-Id or Acc-App-id in Vendor-Spec-app-id will have Sh#  value? (
Does it work the same for not grouped Auth-App-Id and Acc-App-id ) 
	
	Regards
	-- 
	Bartosz Baranowski

---

From: Anders Kristensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 12:51:49 -0400

Inline...

Bartosz Baranowski wrote:

> Hi. I have few questions about diameter base protocol ( and overall 
> diameter ) , avp values and some app questions ( Sh interface ).
> I got through TS's and rfc but thats plain technical knowledge, no 
> examples, no place to start with.
> required AVP, but for instance Sh messages look a lot like 

The Session-Id is required in the messages but, I believe, is generally 
not used for anything. The client should just populate it with some 
random but valid value.

> Does it work the same for not grouped Auth-App-Id and Acc-App-id )

This is, in my view, a really sore point for Diameter. Specifically for 
Sh it seems pretty clear that the Sh app ID should go into both the 
message header and an Auth-Application-Id AVP within a 
Vendor-Specific-Application-Id but in general there doesn't seem to be a 
satisfying answer to your question.

Anders

> 
> Regards
> -- 
> Bartosz Baranowski
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>