Subject: [Dime] Open Source (GPL) test tool available for Diameter

From: "Jacques, Olivier \(OpenCall Test Infra\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 11:50:29 +0200

Hello,

I think that the members of the dime mailing-list will find this
information
useful.

Seagull is a free, Open Source (GPL) multi-protocol traffic generator
test 
tool, sponsored by HP OpenCall Software as well as Atos Origin and the
COMET consortium. Primary aimed at IMS protocols (and thus being the
perfect complement to SIPp - http://sipp.sourceforge.net/), Seagull 
is a powerful traffic generator for functional, load, endurance, 
stress and performance tests for almost any kind of protocol.

Seagull-1.3.0, which is the first public release, comes with the
following protocols:
- Diameter (base and Cx+Cc applications) over TCP or SCTP (IPv4 or
IPv6),
- XCAP over HTTP,
- Radius,
- any protocol over TCAP (Camel, Win, MAP, IS41, INAP - using HP
OpenCall SS7)
- A generic synchronization protocol.

Seagull is very flexible, and adding new or proprietary Diameter
applications, 
commands or AVPs to Seagull is just a matter of editing an XML
dictionary file.

We hope that you will find it useful.

Seagull's web site: http://gull.sourceforge.net/

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any question.
Olivier.
--
HP OpenCall Software
http://www.hp.com/go/opencall/

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: "Ivelin Ivanov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 20:11:39 -0500

Congratulations to the Seagull team and its sponsors!

An open source IMS testing tool can help ensure interoperability
between vendors, which is critical to IMS adoption. sipp has proven a
very valuable compliance and benchmarking tool; I am glad that Seagull
continues the legacy.

A few question regarding the Diameter plugin: From the documentation
it does not become apparent whether Sh dictionary is currently
implemented. Can you please clarify? Also, does the roadmap include a
script to cover the interop use cases described in:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fajardo-dime-interop-test-suite-00.txt

Thank you,

Ivelin

---

From: "Jacques, Olivier \(OpenCall Test Infra\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 09:43:25 +0200

Hello Ivelin,

Thanks for the kudos. We also believe that easing IMS testing will
greatly help the adoption.

For your question, Sh dictionary is not implemented. But as you can see
from the base + Cx dictionary (base_cx.xml file), adding Sh should be a
matter of less than an hour work.
http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.cgi/gull/seagull/trunk/src/exe-env/di
ameter-env/config/base_cx.xml?view=markup
If someone wants to try, please send the dictionary to Seagull-users
mailing list so that it can be integrated.

In terms of scenarios, what we are doing with Seagull is to implement,
for each dictionary, one server (first message in the scenario received)
and one client scenario (first message in the scenario sent). This is to
demo the dictionary and to ease the writing of the first custom
scenario.
We do not currently include any compliance or interoperability test
suite.
_but_, as it has been done with SIPp
(http://sipp.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Scenarios), Seagull's Wiki
could be a good place for that.
In any case, if someone wants to contribute a Diameter test suite for
Seagull, we will be happy to include it.

I also think that Seagull could be of great help in interop/plugtests
events by emulating missing nodes or help reproducing interop issues.

Olivier. 
HP OpenCall Software

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ivelin Ivanov
> Sent: jeudi 8 juin 2006 03:12
> To: Jacques, Olivier (OpenCall Test Infra)
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Dime] Open Source (GPL) test tool available for Diameter
> 
> An open source IMS testing tool can help ensure 
> interoperability between vendors, which is critical to IMS 
> adoption. sipp has proven a very valuable compliance and 
> benchmarking tool; I am glad that Seagull continues the legacy.
> 
> A few question regarding the Diameter plugin: From the 
> documentation it does not become apparent whether Sh 
> dictionary is currently implemented. Can you please clarify? 
> Also, does the roadmap include a script to cover the interop 
> use cases described in:
> > information useful.
> > test tool, sponsored by HP OpenCall Software as well as Atos Origin 
> > and the COMET consortium. Primary aimed at IMS protocols (and thus 
> > being the perfect complement to SIPp - 
> http://sipp.sourceforge.net/), 
> > Seagull is a powerful traffic generator for functional, load, 
> > endurance, stress and performance tests for almost any kind of 
> > protocol.
> >
> > applications, commands or AVPs to Seagull is just a matter 
> of editing 
> > an XML dictionary file.
> >

---

From: "Ivelin Ivanov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 08:20:28 -0500

Hi Oliver,

Thank your for the clarification.

We are in the process of developing an Open Source JSLEE Diameter RA
for Sh app. The effort is lead by Bartek (in CC). As soon as we
complete the prototype we would like to start testing interoperability
and will probably contribute an Sh dictionary.
http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Communications/MobicentsDiameterRA

We will continue this discussion on the Seagull and Mobicents forums.

Regards,

Ivelin