Subject: [Dime] Result code of Multiple failed Avps

From: "Nimish Bhargava" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 17:19:28 +0530

Hi everyone

While sending a response containing multiple failed AVPs, what should be the
value of result code AVP?
since different AVPs may fail due to different reasons, should the error
code of the first failed AVP be sent as result code?

Thanks
Nimish
_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: Rajith R <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 19:04:47 +0530

A Diameter message may contain one (and only one) Failed-AVP AVP.

  _____  

From: Nimish Bhargava [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 5:19 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Dime] Result code of Multiple failed Avps

Hi everyone

Thanks
Nimish

---

From: "Nimish Bhargava" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 09:55:36 +0530

well it is not compulsory, diameter messages may contain multiple Failed-AVP
avps.

As per section 5.3.2 , 5.4.2 , 5.5.2 of the DIAMETER Base RFC 3588 and
various applications specifications specify support for multiple Failed-AVP
avps.

On 1/9/07, Rajith R <[email-masked]> wrote:
>  ------------------------------
> *From:* Nimish Bhargava [mailto:[email-masked]]
> *Sent:* Tuesday, January 09, 2007 5:19 PM
> *To:* [email-masked]
> *Subject:* [Dime] Result code of Multiple failed Avps
>
> Hi everyone
>
> While sending a response containing multiple failed AVPs, what should be
> the value of result code AVP?

-- 
Real programmers don't work from 9 to 5. If any real programmers are around
at 9am it's because they were up all night.
_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: Rajith R <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:16:07 +0530

Since we can have only one Result-Code AVP, I think it is better to have
only one Failed-AVP AVP. However all the erroneous AVPs (related to the
error specified by the result code) could be added in this AVP itself, e.g.:
contradicting AVPs case.
    As you mentioned the RFC seems to suggest otherwise in the ABNF of DWA,
description of contradicting AVPs result code etc.
    Should we consider this in the 3588-errata?

  _____  

From: Nimish Bhargava [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 9:56 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Dime] Result code of Multiple failed Avps

  _____  

Hi everyone

Thanks
Nimish

---

From: "Nimish Bhargava" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:48:41 +0530

As proposed by you that all the avps having the error code as the result
code should be sent, in that case we shall have to neglect all other
erroneous avps.. should that be considered as a valid behavior?

Also what should be the basis of deciding the result code in that case ?
I mean now that we have avps failing due different reasons, which group
should be selected for sending in the response?
should the error code occurring the maximum time be considered as the result
code or the first error code encountered?

I do agree that this can be considered as 3588-errata.

Thanks
Nimish

On 1/10/07, Rajith R <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>      Since we can have only one Result-Code AVP, I think it is better to
> have only one Failed-AVP AVP. However all the erroneous AVPs (related to the
>     As you mentioned the RFC seems to suggest otherwise in the ABNF of
> DWA, description of contradicting AVPs result code etc.
> *Sent:* Wednesday, January 10, 2007 9:56 AM
> *To:* [email-masked]
> *Cc:* [email-masked]
> *Subject:* Re: [Dime] Result code of Multiple failed Avps
>
> well it is not compulsory, diameter messages may contain multiple
> Failed-AVP avps.
>

---

From: Rajith R <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11:29:42 +0530

see inline

  _____  

From: Nimish Bhargava [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 10:49 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Dime] Result code of Multiple failed Avps

 
First error encountered might be a desirable implementation considering any
further processing of the request is "useless" anyway.

Thanks
Nimish

On 1/10/07, Rajith R <[email-masked]  <mailto:[email-masked]> >
wrote: 

  _____  

  _____  

Hi everyone

Thanks
Nimish

---

From: "Glen Zorn \(gwz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 09:22:12 -0800

well it is not compulsory, diameter messages may contain multiple
Failed-AVP avps.
 Right. 
As per section 5.3.2 , 5.4.2 , 5.5.2 of the DIAMETER Base RFC 3588 and
various applications specifications specify support for multiple
Failed-AVP avps. 

	A Diameter message may contain one (and only one) Failed-AVP
AVP.
	Not true.

________________________________

		
		Hi everyone
		
		While sending a response containing multiple failed
AVPs, what should be the value of result code AVP?
		since different AVPs may fail due to different reasons,
should the error code of the first failed AVP be sent as result code? 
		I think that the assumption was that received message
processing would halt on the first invalid AVP &  an error returned.  It
might be a good idea to change the Failed-AVP to include an error
code... 
		 
		Thanks
		Nimish 

-- 
Real programmers don't work from 9 to 5. If any real programmers are
around at 9am it's because they were up all night. 
_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: Rajith R <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 11:30:55 +0530

If the assumption is that message processing would halt on first failure, I
can't see why a Diameter message might have more than one Failed-AVP AVP.
The RFC 3588 mandates that there MUST be only one Result-Code AVP in an
answer message & implies ("The value of the Result-Code AVP will provide
information on the reason for the Failed-AVP AVP.") a relation b/w the
Result-Code AVP & the Failed-AVP AVP, all the more reason on why there MAY
be only one Failed-AVP AVP.
 
However, all erroneous AVPs associated with the error (for eg: the
"contradicting" AVPs in the case of DIAMETER_CONTRADICTING_AVPS) may be
filled in one Failed-AVP AVP only (the ABNF allows this provision)

  _____  

From: Glen Zorn (gwz) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 10:52 PM
To: Nimish Bhargava; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Dime] Result code of Multiple failed Avps

  _____  

Hi everyone

While sending a response containing multiple failed AVPs, what should be the
value of result code AVP?
since different AVPs may fail due to different reasons, should the error
code of the first failed AVP be sent as result code? 
I think that the assumption was that received message processing would halt
on the first invalid AVP &  an error returned.  It might be a good idea to
change the Failed-AVP to include an error code... 

Thanks
Nimish

---

From: Nimish Bhargava <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 12:56:24 +0530

If we restrict the failed AVPs just on the basis of Result-Code AVP we may 
not be able to provide all the information regarding the failed AVPs to 
the application.
Since the whole message still needs to be parsed in order to find out the 
AVPs failing due to a particular Result Code, it would be better to 
include a Result-Code AVP in the Failed-AVP ABNF.

That way one can implement both the scenarios i.e. send AVPs failing due 
to a particular Result Code and sending Failed-AVPs citing multiple Result 
Codes.

Regards,
Nimish

Rajith R <[email-masked]> 
01/16/2007 11:30 AM

Please respond to
[email-masked]

To
"'Glen Zorn (gwz)'" <[email-masked]>, "'Nimish Bhargava'" 
<[email-masked]>
cc
[email-masked]
Subject
RE: [Dime] Result code of Multiple failed Avps

If the assumption is that message processing would halt on first failure, 
I can't see why a Diameter message might have more than one Failed-AVP 
AVP. The RFC 3588 mandates that there MUST be only one Result-Code AVP in 
an answer message & implies ("The value of the Result-Code AVP will 
provide information on the reason for the Failed-AVP AVP.") a relation b/w 
the Result-Code AVP & the Failed-AVP AVP, all the more reason on why there 
MAY be only one Failed-AVP AVP.

Hi everyone

While sending a response containing multiple failed AVPs, what should be 
the value of result code AVP?
since different AVPs may fail due to different reasons, should the error 
code of the first failed AVP be sent as result code? 
I think that the assumption was that received message processing would 
halt on the first invalid AVP &  an error returned.  It might be a good 
idea to change the Failed-AVP to include an error code... 

Thanks
Nimish 

***********************  Aricent-Private   ***********************
"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Aricent  and is intended solely for the use of 
the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be 
circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error, 
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are strictly
prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. Aricent accepts no responsibility for 
loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email including damage from virus."
_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime