Subject: RE: [Dime] Contradicting AVPs in 4006 ?

From: "STURA, Marco, VF-IT" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 13:50:32 +0100

>BTW, I am not sure whether event based scenarios for CHECK_BALANCE and
>PRICE_ENQUIRY can be used with multiple services.

The multiple services concept is defined only for session based CC to
enable multiplexing control of several credit chunks (or quotas) within
the same diameter session, it is not meant to be used with one time
event based operations.

Br,
Marco

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: "STURA, Marco, VF-IT" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 15:52:20 +0100

>It is not mentioned in the RFC that Requested-Service-Unit AVP MUST be
present in case of CHECK_BALANCE. (Sorry for considering >Event based
charging again). But it can be guessed that its a rating error.

R-S-U may be used in direct debiting if the service node knows the
*cost* of the service, but not in the balance check operation. In the
sections defining each of the event operations it is mentioned what the
client is expected to send, what is not mentioned it's supposed to not
be sent. Other stuff should be defined in service specific documents.

For the balance check in particular section 6.2 second paragraph defines
what the client is supposed to send, R-S-U is not mentioned.

   A Diameter credit-control client requesting the balance check MUST

   set the CC-Request-Type AVP equal to EVENT_REQUEST, include a

   Requested-Action AVP set to CHECK_BALANCE, and include the

   Subscription-Id AVP in order to identify the end user in the credit-

   control server.  The Service-Context-Id AVP indicates the service

   specific document applicable to the request.

>BTW, Can you tell me does Event-Time-Stamp AVP, which is added in every
request, serves other purposes apart from being informational >at the
server side?

The event-time-stamp contains the time when the service event is
requested at the client. What the server does with it is not defined in
the specification, but a typical application is to record it along with
other information for auditing purposes.

Br,

Marco