Subject: [Dime] Review of Diameter Mobile IPv6: NAS <-> HAAA Support

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 07:05:08 -0500

Hi all,

Wolfgang Fritsche has made a review of the Diameter Mobile IPv6: NAS <-> 
HAAA Support document. You find it in the attachment. 
Thank you, Wolfgang.

Ciao
Hannes

----------------------------------

Dear Hannes,

here are my review comments:

 From the failover point of view the HA reliability DT of the mip6 WG 
currently follows an approach, which only involves the HAs themselves 
and (for the hard switch mode) the MN. As there is no AAA functionality 
involved in that, consequently no interfaces are required. Within ENABLE 
we see this somehow different. We definitively think the MSP AAA 
functionality has to be involved in the HA reliability approach, at 
least to be updated with the recently chosen HA. This is work we foresee 
to perform in 2007, so at the current time we've not progressed far 
enough to talk about required AAA interfaces, however, most likely it 
won't influence the NAS - AAAH interface, but more the HA - AAAH (and 
also the HA - AAAF, that is MSP AAA) interface.

 From a load sharing point of view, my main comments would be related to 
figure 8 and chapter 7. Currently this shows in message 2 how the NAS 
could provide to the AAAH (MSA AAA) in the DER message a proposal for a 
local HA assignment (address of FQDN of local HA), which then could 
selected by the AAAH. In ENABLE we see this somewhat different. The DER 
message sent to the AAAH (MSA AAA) won't contain any MIPv6 specific 
information when sent from the NAS to the AAAF (MSP AAA). Then the MSP 
AAA will include some MIPv6 features when forwarding the DER to the MSA 
AAA, indicating e.g. that the MSP is supporting local HA assignment, or 
that it supports MIPv6 extensions to the DHCPv6 on the NAS. The MSA AAA 
will then reply with a DEA, which could contain a MIPv6 authorization on 
its way to the MSP AAA, authorizing local HA assignment. If authorized, 
the MSP AAA will trigger HA selection (which is performed on the basis 
of HA load sharing), and provides back the selected HA within the DEA 
message to the NAS. Consequently the main differences between the ID and 
the ENABLE work are:
- In ENABLE it is the MSP AAA and not the NAS which negotiates MIPv6 
features with the MSA AAA
- In ENABLE it is also the MSP AAA which finally selects the most 
suitable local HA based on load sharing, and not the NAS
- ENABLE performs HA selection based on load sharing only after 
authorization for local HA assignment by the MSA

Additionally I found some typos:
- In chapter 7.1 you mixed up under [d] "MIP6-Home-Link-Prefix" with 
"MIP6-Home-Agent-Address"
- In chapter 7.1 you mixed up under [d] "MIP6-Home-Address" with 
"MIP6-Home-Agent-FQDN"
- In chapter 7.2 you mixed up under [d] "MIP6-Home-Link-Prefix" with 
"MIP6-Home-Agent-Address"
- In chapter 7.2 you mixed up under [d] "MIP6-Home-Address" with 
"MIP6-Home-Agent-FQDN"
- In chapter 7.2 under [d] it should be "AAA Command" instead of "AAR 
Command"

Cheers,

Wolfgang

 > Hi Wolfgang,
 >
 > could you do a review of our Diameter MIPv6 integrated scenario
 > document with a focus on load balancing and failover aspects.
 >
 > Here is the latest document:
 > 
 > 
http://www.tschofenig.priv.at/svn/draft-ietf-dime-mip6-integrated/draft-ietf-dime-mip6-integrated-02.txt
 > Ciao
 > Hannes

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: Jouni Korhonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 19:32:21 +0200

Hi Wolfgang, et al,

Thanks for your detailed comments. See my comments inline.

Hannes Tschofenig kirjoitti:
> HAAA Support document. You find it in the attachment. Thank you, Wolfgang.
> 
> Ciao
> Hannes
> 

A good point. However, I'm not sure whether this I-D is supposed to try
solve HA assignment any further than the initial assignment during the 
bootstrap.

> also the HA - AAAF, that is MSP AAA) interface.

Ok.

> selected by the AAAH. In ENABLE we see this somewhat different. The DER 

MSA does not need to respect the HA hint from NAS/ASP. MSA is free to
override it.

> information when sent from the NAS to the AAAF (MSP AAA). Then the MSP 

Hmm.. as this I-D does not have a new application these AVPs in DER/AAR
serve also as an implicit advertisement of MIP support.

> features with the MSA AAA

Ok. The MSA/MSP is still always able to override whatevet the nAS/ASP
proposes.

> suitable local HA based on load sharing, and not the NAS

I just wonder how this is supposed to work when the MN is roaming in a
visited operator ASP?

> - In chapter 7.2 under [d] it should be "AAA Command" instead of "AAR 

Ok.. wonders of slobby copy-pasting ;)

Cheers,
	Jouni