Subject: [Dime] [Fwd: [Fwd: setting SCTP PPID?]]

From: David Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:48:45 -0500

Y'all,

Please consider the email below which I am forwarding for a colleague.
Apparently the posting that he sent to the DIME group did not go
through.

--

David Lehmann
Ulticom, Inc.
http://www.ulticom.com

-------- Original Message --------

Subject:

[Fwd: setting SCTP PPID?]

Date:

Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:45:41 +0800

From:

Jeff Morriss <[email-masked]>

Organization:

Ulticom, Inc.

To:

David Lehmann <[email-masked]>

Did you ever ask the question? If not, could you please forward this?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: setting SCTP PPID?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 17:00:54 +0800
From: Jeff Morriss <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

Hi list,

A while back a colleague of mine sent me a PCAP file containing some
Diameter (over SCTP) packets and asked me why Wireshark (formerly
Ethereal) didn't dissect the packets as Diameter. Of course the answer
was that association wasn't using Diameter's well known port so
Wireshark couldn't figure out that it was Diameter.

SCTP has a field (the Payload Protocol Identifier) wherein ULPs can be
registered to a specific value so everyone will know what the protocol
is regardless of the ports used. Having it set makes life much easier
for tools like Wireshark.

Have you all ever considered registering a PPID for Diameter (with IANA,
of course)?

Regards,
-Jeff

ps. please Cc: me on any responses as I'm not on the list

pps. you can see the list of currently assigned PPIDs here:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/sctp-parameters

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime