Subject: [Dime] Origin-Host and Origin-Realm

From: "harish raghuveer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:30:50 +0530

Hi,

Pardon my newbie question. I have a query regarding the Origin-Host and
Origin-Realm AVPs.

Is there any requirement that Origin-Host has to be a hostname (for ex,
foo.bar.com) within  the Origin-Realm (ex, bar.com)? If not, could some
explain a potential use-case for this?

-- 

thanks and regards,
Harish R
_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: "Glen Zorn \(gwz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 09:07:17 -0700

Hi,

Is there any requirement that Origin-Host has to be a hostname (for ex,
foo.bar.com ) within  the Origin-Realm (ex, bar.com)?  
That's the idea, yes, but unfortunately the definition of the
Origin-Realm AVP forbids it.
 If not, could some explain a potential use-case for this?

-- 

thanks and regards,
Harish R

---

From: "Glen Zorn \(gwz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:46:11 -0700

Thanks, Glen. This gives rise to one additional question: if Origin-Host
includes Origin-Realm why do we have to explicitly include Origin-Realm
in the messages along with the Origin-Host (as it is implied/can be
derived)? 
 I'm glad you replied because I think I made a mistake in my last
response.  Thinking back thousands of years to the original discussions,
I seem to remember that the realm was thought to be independent of the
DNS, so that the host diameter.isp.com might actually be in the realm
bigco.com. 
Only possibility I can think of is, lets say one Diameter mobile client
has the 'local' or 'host' realm as, lets say bar.com and moved under a
new realm foo.com. In this case, if Origin-Realm is the new realm
(foo.com), then the Origin-Realm wont be proper suffix of Origin-Host.
Were these decoupled (made into separate AVPs)  to support these kind of
scenarios? Please confirm.  
Yup, I think that's it. 

thanks,
Harish

On 6/21/07, Glen Zorn (gwz) <[email-masked]> wrote: 

	Hi,
	
	Pardon my newbie question. I have a query regarding the
Origin-Host and Origin-Realm AVPs. 
	
	Is there any requirement that Origin-Host has to be a hostname
(for ex, foo.bar.com ) within  the Origin-Realm (ex, bar.com)?  
	That's the idea, yes, but unfortunately the definition of the
Origin-Realm AVP forbids it.

	-- 
	
	thanks and regards,
	Harish R

-- 
Harish R Prabhu
Ph:98457-34737 (M)