Subject: [Dime] Relay supporting application

From: Nimish Bhargava <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:47:34 +0530

Hi all,

Can anyone provide information about whether the relay nodes can support 
any application also? 

According to Specification 3588 section 2.8.1 last para

"Since Relays do not perform any application level processing, they
   provide relaying services for all Diameter applications, and
   therefore MUST advertise the Relay Application Identifier."

Does this mean that relay agents can never support any application above 
them ?

Regards,
Nimish

***********************  Aricent-Unclassified   ***********************
"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Aricent  and is intended solely for the use of 
the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be 
circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error, 
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are strictly
prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. Aricent accepts no responsibility for 
loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email including damage from virus."
_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: "Satendra Gera (satgera)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:56:22 +0530

Hi Nimish,
 
IMO there is no restriction on support of applications on a relay node
(node supporting relay functionality).
I remember more than one implementations from last interop supporting
application in addition to relay functionality on the same node.
It is common to have similar setup where a server serves requests
for/from local domain and relays the rest. 
 
Regards,
Satendra

________________________________

From: Nimish Bhargava [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2007 12:48 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Dime] Relay supporting application

Hi all, 

Regards,
Nimish

***********************  Aricent-Unclassified   *********************** 
"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Aricent  and is intended
solely for the use of 
the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or
confidential information and should not be 
circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended.
If you have received this message in error, 
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that you are strictly
prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of
this message. Aricent accepts no responsibility for 
loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by
this email including damage from virus."

---

From: Nimish Bhargava <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:17:47 +0530

Hi Satendra

Please find my comments inline.

Regards,
Nimish

"Satendra Gera (satgera)" <[email-masked]> 
06/15/2007 02:56 PM

To
Nimish Bhargava/HSS@HSS
cc
<[email-masked]>
Subject
RE: [Dime] Relay supporting application

Hi Nimish,

<Nimish>
Could you please verify that the node was suppoting relay application also 
(along with relay functionality).
</Nimish>

It is common to have similar setup where a server serves requests for/from 
local domain and relays the rest. 

<Nimish>
I do agree that a node can serve the requests from some domain and relay 
the rest. 
What I want to confirm is whether this node supports the relay application 
also ?
</Nimish>

Regards,
Satendra

Hi all, 

Regards,
Nimish

***********************  Aricent-Unclassified   *********************** 
"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Aricent  and is intended 
solely for the use of 
the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or 
confidential information and should not be 
circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended. If 
you have received this message in error, 
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended 
recipient, you are notified that you are strictly
prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of 
this message. Aricent accepts no responsibility for 
loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this 
email including damage from virus."

---

From: "Satendra Gera (satgera)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:26:03 +0530

I can't name the implementations but yes I know of implementations that
do that and IMO its not a violation of the standard.
 
Regards,
Satendra

From: Nimish Bhargava [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2007 3:18 PM
To: Satendra Gera (satgera)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Dime] Relay supporting application

Hi Satendra 

Regards,
Nimish

06/15/2007 02:56 PM 

To
Nimish Bhargava/HSS@HSS 
cc
<[email-masked]> 
Subject

Hi Nimish, 

<Nimish> 
Could you please verify that the node was suppoting relay application
also (along with relay functionality). 
</Nimish> 

<Nimish> 
I do agree that a node can serve the requests from some domain and relay
the rest. 
What I want to confirm is whether this node supports the relay
application also ? 
</Nimish> 

Regards, 
Satendra 

Hi all, 

Regards,
Nimish

---

From: "marco.carusio" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 10:11:55 GMT

Hi Nimish and Satendra,

from RFC 3588 par. 1.3: 

"...relays never originate messages, do not need to
understand the semantics of messages or non-routing AVPs, and are
capable of handling any Diameter application or message type." 

In my understanding there is no need for implementing application support 
inside the relay, indeed it is not in charge of providing application 
functionalities.
Anyway I guess there is not any restriction for providing to relays the 
capabilities of processing application level data. 

I don't know if I answered your question. 

Regards,
Marco.