Subject: [Dime] Problems at relay agents

From: Nimish Bhargava <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 16:13:01 +0530

Hi All

I have some concerns regarding the behavior or relay agent in case an 
error (suppose invalid avp length) occurs in the request message at relay 
agent while finding the Destination-Host AVP.

Should the relay agent respond to the originator of request by sending an 
error response ?
If yes, which all AVPs should be sent in the response message.

Also if a response is received at the relay agent and invalid avp length 
error occurs.
In this case to whom should it respond back, to the originator of the 
request or to the originator of the response and with which all AVPs.

Regards,
Nimish

***********************  Aricent-Unclassified   ***********************
"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Aricent  and is intended solely for the use of 
the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be 
circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error, 
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are strictly
prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. Aricent accepts no responsibility for 
loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email including damage from virus."
_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: Himanshu Bahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 00:44:19 +0530

Hi Nimish,

please find my comments in-line.
also please note I`m referring to the following document.
draft-ietf-dime-rfc3588bis-04.txt

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Himanshu Bahl
Software Engineer
 
A R I C E N T

?You can't shake hands with a clenched fist.?

Nimish Bhargava/HSS@HSS 
06/21/2007 04:13 PM

To
[email-masked]
cc

Subject
[Dime] Problems at relay agents

Hi All 

I have some concerns regarding the behavior or relay agent in case an 
error (suppose invalid AVP length) occurs in the request message at relay 
agent while finding the Destination-Host AVP. 

Should the relay agent respond to the originator of request by sending an 
error response ? 
<<
I think the above scenario should be considered as failure to get complete 
routing information by the relay agent.( due to inability to decode the 
destination Host AVP ) .
I think this is somewhat similar to the situation depicted in figure 7 of 
the RFC.
Since you are unable to find the routing information of the message you 
should return the answer message with the ABNF defined in section 7.2  and 
result code as DIAMETER_UNABLE_TO_DELIVER
this would also make the behavior confirm to the following bullet of 
section 6.1 
   o  If none of the above is successful, an answer is returned with the 
Result-Code set to DIAMETER_UNABLE_TO_DELIVER, with the E-bit set.

If yes, which all AVPs should be sent in the response message. 
<<
as stated above the answer should be in the ABNF defined in section 7.2 
Also if a response is received at the relay agent and invalid AVP length 
error occurs. 
In this case to whom should it respond back, to the originator of the 
request or to the originator of the response and with which all AVPs.
<<
according to the snippet of section 6.2.2 stated below the relay should 
add its identity to the Error_Reporting_Host AVP and should add 
invalid-length error code in the result code AVP and should send the 
answer message to the destination( of the original Answer message ). 

If the agent receives an answer message with a Result-Code AVP indicating 
success, and it wishes to modify the AVP to indicate an error, it MUST 
modify the Result-Code AVP to contain the appropriate error in the message 
destined towards
the access device as well as include the Error-Reporting-Host AVP and it 
MUST issue an STR on behalf of the access device. 
The agent MUST then send the answer to the host that it received the 
original request from.

Regards,
Nimish

***********************  Aricent-Unclassified   *********************** 
"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Aricent  and is intended 
solely for the use of 
the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or 
confidential information and should not be 
circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended. If 
you have received this message in error, 
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended 
recipient, you are notified that you are strictly
prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of 
this message. Aricent accepts no responsibility for 
loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this 
email including damage from virus."

***********************  Aricent-Private   ***********************

---

From: Geetika Gupta <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 18:01:56 +0530

Hi All,

I have an understanding issue with the Redirect Agent. Referred to 
http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tsou-dime-base-routing-ext-00

In the scenario where Redirect and Proxy agent are present in the same 
realm.

   +------------------+
      |     Diameter     |
      |  Redirect Agent  |
      |(agent.example.net)|
      +------------------+
           ^    |
           |    | Redirect Indication
           |    |   redirect-host=hms.example.net
           |    |   redirect-realm=R-R:example.net
           |    v
      +-------------+            +-------------+          +-----------+
      |  Client     |            |   Proxy     |          | Server    |
      |client.source|----------->|proxy.example|--------->+hms.example|
      |   .net      |            |    .net     |          |   .net    |
      +-------------+            +-------------+          +-----------+
             dest-host=hms.example.net 
             dest-realm=example.net 

Then whenever Client will look into the routing table based on realm 
(example.net), it can always route the message to  redirect agent and not 
the Proxy Agent.
And hence will form a loop.

What shud be the solution to such kind of problem. What kind of check shud 
be there.

Regards,
Geetika

***********************  Aricent- Confidential   ***********************

***********************  Aricent- Confidential   ***********************

---

From: Victor Fajardo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 09:10:35 -0400

Hi,

You may want to refer to Sec 6.1.7 of 3588 on how receivers of redirect 
indication uses redirect-hosts avps.

regards,
victor

>      |(agent.*example.net*)|
>      |client.source|----------->|proxy.*example*|--------->+hms.*example*|
>      |   .net      |            |    *.net *    |          |   *.net*    |
> (example.net), it can always route the message to  redirect agent and 
> not the Proxy Agent.
> What shud be the solution to such kind of problem. What kind of check 
> shud be there.
>
>
> Regards,
> Geetika
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: "Glen Zorn \(gwz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 09:50:21 -0700

Hi All, 

   +------------------+
     |     Diameter     |
     |  Redirect Agent  |
     |(agent.example.net)|
     +------------------+
          ^    |
          |    | Redirect Indication

What shud be the solution to such kind of problem. What kind of check
shud be there.  
Check the brain of the person who configured it? 

Regards, 
Geetika

"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Aricent  and is intended
solely for the use of 
the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or
confidential information and should not be 
circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended.
If you have received this message in error, 
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that you are strictly
prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of
this message. Aricent accepts no responsibility for 
loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by
this email including damage from virus."

---

From: Tony Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:27:07 +0800

On my understanding,  the redirect new realm name is different name(just like the redirect host is new).:

     +------------------+
     |     Diameter     |
     |  Redirect Agent  |
     |(agent.example.net)|
     +------------------+
          ^    |
          |    | Redirect Indication
          |    |   redirect-host=hms.new.net
          |    |   redirect-realm=new.net
          |    v
     +-------------+            +-------------+          +-----------+
     |  Client     |            |   Proxy     |          | Server    |
     |client.source|----------->|proxy.new.net|--------->+hms.new.net|
     |   .net      |            |    .        |          |           |
     +-------------+            +-------------+          +-----------+
            dest-host=hms.new.net     
            dest-realm=new.net        

  _____  

From: Geetika Gupta [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2007 8:32 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Dime] Problem with Redirect Agent

Hi All, 

I have an understanding issue with the Redirect Agent. Referred to http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tsou-dime-base-routing-ext-00 

In the scenario where Redirect and Proxy agent are present in the same realm. 

     +------------------+
     |     Diameter     |
     |  Redirect Agent  |
     |(agent.example.net)|
     +------------------+
          ^    |
          |    | Redirect Indication

Then whenever Client will look into the routing table based on realm (example.net), it can always route the message to  redirect agent and not the Proxy Agent. 
And hence will form a loop. 

What shud be the solution to such kind of problem. What kind of check shud be there. 

Regards, 
Geetika