Subject: [Dime] Backward Capability Propagation

From: "Soji VP" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:38:45 +0530

Hi Friends,

Just give a thought of having backward capability propagation feature
while exchanging capability negotiation with the peers (b/w a node and a
relay node).

As per current definitions a Diameter relay must advertise its relay
application id "0xffffffff" (also any application id relay node is
supporting) with its peers. 
But when a node is sending CER to a relay to get it's capability, relay
can always advertise union of application id's of all of its peers
(except the node which sends CER) in CEA. BCP shall be applied between
relays also (if relay chain exists).
This backward propagation will help a diameter node to ensure if it's
useful to send request or response via this particular relay and send
error message without sending message to relay if it's any of the peer
or its subsequent relay's doesn't support the application id.
This will make a node to take decision of sending messages much earlier
(by caching the capability of path to a known level). 
 
I'm new to dime and not sure if this is already been thought of. Ignore
in that case else let's float some comments.
 
Thanks & Rgds,
--soj

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: "Asveren, Tolga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:31:25 -0400

Soj,

You should be able to do this already, i.e. advertising App-Id only for
the applications for which the node is able to provide relaying.

 Thanks,
 Tolga

________________________________________
From: Soji VP [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 5:09 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Dime] Backward Capability Propagation

Hi Friends,

Thanks & Rgds,
--soj