Subject: [Dime] Clarification regarding the election process

From: "Balamurugan T, TLS-Chennai" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 19:39:13 +0530

Hi All,

    I need some clarification regarding the election process in peer
state machine.

   According to 
http://www.opendiameter.org/public/draft-fajardo-dime-interop-test-suite
-04.txt
<http://www.opendiameter.org/public/draft-fajardo-dime-interop-test-suit
e-04.txt> , 

The election process is described as below 
 
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
3.1.1.2.  Election
 
   This test case refers to Section 5.6.4 of [RFC3588].  Responders must
   be able to resolve contention with initiator peers.
 
   o  Positive test for establishment of connection with responder
      having higher identity than initiator.  Vendor A initiates
      connection followed by B doing the same a few milliseconds later.
      Vendor A having a higher identity should close B's connection
      attempt.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+

But, in RFC 3588, section  5.6.  Peer State Machine, 5th paragraph
explains

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

   A CER message is always sent on the initiating connection immediately

   after the connection request is successfully completed.  In the case

   of an election, one of the two connections will shut down.  The

   responder connection will survive if the Origin-Host of the local

   Diameter entity is higher than that of the peer; the initiator

   connection will survive if the peer's Origin-Host is higher.  All

   subsequent messages are sent on the surviving connection.  Note that

   the results of an election on one peer are guaranteed to be the

   inverse of the results on the other.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

These are contradicting. I guess the test draft should be corrected. As
per RFC3588,

If A and B are two Peers,

Ai is the initiator of the connection C1; Br is the responder for the
connection C1

Bi is the initiator of the connection C2; Ar is the responder for the
connection C2

Now, during the election process, if Host IP address of A is greater
than that of B, C1 is closed and C2 is kept open for further process.
Similarly if the Host IP address of B is greater than that of A, then C2
is closed and C1 is kept open for the further process.

But the test draft, 
http://www.opendiameter.org/public/draft-fajardo-dime-interop-test-suite
-04.txt
<http://www.opendiameter.org/public/draft-fajardo-dime-interop-test-suit
e-04.txt>  explains differently. Please confirm that this draft needs to
be corrected.

Thanks,

Bala

DISCLAIMER:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended for the named recipient(s) only.
It shall not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Any views or opinions presented in 
this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of HCL or its affiliates.
Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of 
this message without the prior written consent of the author of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Before opening any mail and 
attachments please check them for viruses and defect.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: "Harish R Prabhu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 12:04:24 +0530

Hi Bala,

I think the bis- draft/RFC is correct in this regard. Please note that
election has to be held at the responder (listening) end. The statements are
w.r.t that node.

1. The responder connection will survice if the Origin-Host of the local
Diameter entity is higher than that of the peer (This is correct. The
election will result in Win-Election result at the responder in this case -
in case listening end too had iniated a transport connection.)

2. The initiator connection will survive if the peer's Origin-Host is higher
(This means, the node that does the connect has a higher Origin-Host and
will win the election. So the 'responder' node has to close the connection
initated from its side).

Hope this helps.

cheers,
Harish

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Balamurugan T, TLS-Chennai <[email-masked]>
Date: Aug 1, 2007 7:39 PM
Subject: [Dime] Clarification regarding the election process
To: [email-masked]

Hi All,

    I need some clarification regarding the election process in peer state
machine.

   According to
http://www.opendiameter.org/public/draft-fajardo-dime-interop-test-suite-04.txt,

3.1.1.2.  Election

      *Vendor A having a higher identity should close B's connection*

*      attempt.*

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

But, in RFC 3588, section  5.6.  Peer State Machine, 5th paragraph explains

   of an election, one of the two connections will shut down*.  The*

*   responder connection will survive if the Origin-Host of the local*

*   Diameter entity is higher than that of the peer;* the initiator

These are contradicting. I guess the test draft should be corrected. As per
RFC3588,

Now, during the election process, if Host IP address of A is greater than
that of B, C1 is closed and C2 is kept open for further process. Similarly
if the Host IP address of B is greater than that of A, then C2 is closed and
C1 is kept open for the further process.

But the test draft,
http://www.opendiameter.org/public/draft-fajardo-dime-interop-test-suite-04.txtexplains
differently. Please confirm that this draft needs to be corrected.

Thanks,

Bala

 DISCLAIMER:

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and
intended for the named recipient(s) only.
It shall not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its
affiliates. Any views or opinions presented in
this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect
the opinions of HCL or its affiliates.
Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
distribution and / or publication of
this message without the prior written consent of the author of this e-mail
is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender
immediately. Before opening any mail and
attachments please check them for viruses and defect.

---

From: HarshaM 71438 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 21:17:03 +0800

Hi All,

I am confused about Peer State Machine in RFC 3588.

This is my understanding

1) The peer state machine actually combines two state machines,Initiator 
   (client) state machine and Responder (server) state machine.
2) States and events with "I" are possible only in initiator.
3) States and events with "R" are possible only in responder.
4) States and events without any prefix can come in both.

But I also see some initiator states like "WAIT-I-CEA" that can receive events 
from responder like "R-Conn-CER", how is this possible? If I am wrong somewhere 
please correct me.

Regards,
Harsha 
Hi Bala,

Hope this helps.

cheers,
Harish

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Balamurugan T, TLS-Chennai <[email-masked]>
Date: Aug 1, 2007 7:39 PM
Subject: [Dime] Clarification regarding the election process
To: [email-masked]

Hi All,

   According to

3.1.1.2.  Election

*      attempt.*

But the test draft,

Thanks,

Bala

 DISCLAIMER:

---

From: HarshaM 71438 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 21:23:16 +0800

Hi All,

This is my understanding

Regards,
Harsha 

PS: Sorry for following a wrong thread in the last mail.

Hi Bala,

Hope this helps.

cheers,
Harish

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Balamurugan T, TLS-Chennai <[email-masked]>
Date: Aug 1, 2007 7:39 PM
Subject: [Dime] Clarification regarding the election process
To: [email-masked]

Hi All,

   According to

3.1.1.2.  Election

*      attempt.*

But the test draft,

Thanks,

Bala

 DISCLAIMER: