Subject: [Dime] New draft: Diameter Grid Accounting Application

From: Cristian Morariu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:43:10 +0200

Hi,

my name is Cristian Morariu and I am a PhD student at University of
Zurich. During the last three years me and my colleagues from the
Communication Systems Group (CSG - http://www.csg.uzh.ch/) were involved
in the European-funded project Akogrimo (http://www.akogrimo.org/) where
we developed a Diameter-based integrated A4C (AAA+Auditing+Charging)
infrastructure for networkork and grid services.

For accounting of grid-services we defined a list of new AVPs that we
included in an IETF draft proposal submitted to IETF that you can check
under:
 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-morariu-dime-grid-accounting-00.txt

We are looking forward for your feedback.
 
Kind regards,
Cristian Morariu

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 22:33:32 +0200

Hi Christian,

thanks for the work. What do you expect the group todo with your document?
Do you plan to implement your proposal or is open source code already 
available?
Who do you expect is going to deploy your proposal?

Two high-level questions:

1) When writing your document have you had a chance to look at the 
Diameter Design Guidelines document
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dime-app-design-guide-03.txt

We would appreciate comments from document authors extending Diameter.

2) You have QoS specific attributes in your document.
Have you had a chance to look at the ongoing QoS work
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dime-qos-attributes-02.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dime-qos-parameters-01.txt

Ciao
Hannes

---

From: Cristian Morariu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 09:36:19 +0200

Hi Hannes,

thank you for the links. I will take those into consideration when
updating the draft.

Regarding your questions:
a) What do you expect the group todo with your document?
    I would like some feedback and I would be also like to know if other
people are looking into implementing Diameter-based accounting for
services other than network services.

b) Do you plan to implement your proposal or is open source code already
available?
    We implemented an accounting server as well as an accounting client
for grid services. This was tested in the Akogrimo project and will most
probably be released as open source. Currently the code still has to be
"cleaned" in order to be made public. Our implementation includes also a
federated-identity provisioning mechanism based on Diameter and SAML but
this I think goes beyond the focus of the draft.

c) Who do you expect is going to deploy your proposal?
    Commercial grid-service providers and grid-platform operators should
have an incentive for adopting Diameter-based accounting so they may
easier interract  with accounting systems of network providers. The
final goal would be to have all services being charged for by the user's
home network provider.

Regards,
Cristian

---

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:11:11 +0200

Hi Christian, 

> thank you for the links. I will take those into consideration when
Let us know if you have some comments. These documents have passed the
1st working group last call already = they are getting close to leave
the working group. It would therefore be the right time for feedback. 

> services other than network services.

I can tell you that people use Diameter for application layer services,
such as VoIP or other applications. 
Maybe you have read the Diameter Credit Control application as well. It
is used for real-time accounting; also for application layer services. 

Regarding feedback: My experience showed me that it is more likely to
get review comments when you have commented other people's work
beforehand. 

> "cleaned" in order to be made public.

Good to know. Please let the group know when it becomes available. 
Is your accounting application based on OpenDiameter? 

 Our implementation 
> includes also a
Have you published some papers that provide more background on what you
did? 
The usage of SAML in combination with Diameter and RADIUS appeared
already a couple of times in the IETF. 
Would be interesting to know whether everyone had the same ideas...

> final goal would be to have all services being charged for by 
Have you had a chance to talk to commerical grid service providers? Do
you have some of them in our EU funded project? 

Thanks for the info. 

Ciao
Hannes