Subject: [Dime] Review of draft-ietf-dime-qos-attributes-09.txt

From: Victor Fajardo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 17:29:16 -0500

Hi Hannes/Mark,

Attached is my review of the qos-attribute draft. My comments are 
inlined under "[Victor: ...".

best regards,
victor

Diameter Maintenance and                                     J. Korhonen
Extensions (DIME)                                          H. Tschofenig
Internet-Draft                                    Nokia Siemens Networks
Intended status: Standards Track                         M. Arumaithurai
Expires: June 21, 2009                          University of Goettingen
                                                           M. Jones, Ed.
                                                                 A. Lior
                                                     Bridgewater Systems
                                                       December 18, 2008

               Quality of Service Attributes for Diameter
                 draft-ietf-dime-qos-attributes-09.txt

Status of this Memo

   This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance with the
   provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

   This Internet-Draft will expire on June 21, 2009.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (c) 2008 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
   document authors.  All rights reserved.

   This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
   Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
   (http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
   publication of this document.  Please review these documents
   carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
   to this document.

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                 [Page 1]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

Abstract

   This document extends the IPFilterRule AVP functionality of the
   Diameter Base protocol and the functionality of the QoS-Filter-Rule
   AVP defined in RFC 4005.  The ability to convey Quality of Service
   information using the AVPs defined in this document is available to
   existing and future Diameter applications where permitted by the
   command ABNF.

Table of Contents

   1.  Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
   2.  Terminology  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
   3.  Rule Sets and Rules  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
     3.1.  Rule-Set AVP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
     3.2.  Rule AVP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
   4.  Conditions . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
     4.1.  Traffic Classifiers  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
       4.1.1.  Classifier AVP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
       4.1.2.  Classifier-ID AVP  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
       4.1.3.  Protocol AVP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
       4.1.4.  Direction AVP  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
       4.1.5.  From-Spec AVP  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
       4.1.6.  To-Spec AVP  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
       4.1.7.  Source and Destination AVPs  . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11
       4.1.8.  Header Option AVPs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15
     4.2.  Time Of Day AVPs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21
       4.2.1.  Time-Of-Day-Condition AVP  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21
       4.2.2.  Time-Of-Day-Start AVP  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 22
       4.2.3.  Time-Of-Day-End AVP  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 22
       4.2.4.  Day-Of-Week-Mask AVP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 22
       4.2.5.  Day-Of-Month-Mask AVP  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 23
       4.2.6.  Month-Of-Year-Mask AVP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 23
       4.2.7.  Absolute-Start-Time AVP  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 23
       4.2.8.  Absolute-End-Time AVP  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24
       4.2.9.  Timezone-Flag AVP  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24
       4.2.10. Timezone-Offset AVP  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24
   5.  Actions  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24
     5.1.  Action AVP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24
     5.2.  Diameter QoS Defined AVPs  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25
       5.2.1.  QoS-Profile-Id AVP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25
       5.2.2.  QoS-Profile-Template AVP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25
       5.2.3.  QoS-Semantics  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 26
       5.2.4.  QoS-Parameters AVP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 27
       5.2.5.  Rule-Precedence AVP  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 27
       5.2.6.  Excess-Treatment AVP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 28
       5.2.7.  Excess-Treatment-Action  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 28

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                 [Page 2]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

   6.  QoS Capability Indication  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 29
   7.  Examples . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 29
     7.1.  Diameter EAP with QoS Information  . . . . . . . . . . . . 30
     7.2.  Diameter NASREQ with QoS Information . . . . . . . . . . . 31
     7.3.  QoS Authorization  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 32
     7.4.  Diameter Server Initiated Re-authorization of QoS  . . . . 33
     7.5.  Diameter Credit Control with QoS Information . . . . . . . 34
     7.6.  Classifier Examples  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 35
   8.  Acknowledgments  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 36
   9.  Contributors . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 36
   10. IANA Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 36
   11. Security Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 39
   12. References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 39
     12.1. Normative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 39
     12.2. Informative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 40
   Authors' Addresses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 41

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                 [Page 3]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

1.  Introduction

   This document defines a number of Diameter Quality of Service (QoS)
   related AVPs that can be used in existing and future Diameter
   applications where permitted by the command ABNF.  The Rule AVP
   thereby replaces the IPFilterRule AVP, defined in RFC 3588 [RFC3588],
   and the QoS-Filter-Rule AVP, defined in RFC 4005 [RFC4005].

[Victor: Can we deprecate IPFilterRule AVP in 3588bis ?, i.e. leave the definition in bis but declare it as deprecated]

   The structure of a rule in the entire rule set defined in this
   document consist of a conditions part and corresponding actions.  The
   AVPs responsible for expressing a condition are defined in Section 4.
   Capabilities to match all or a subset of the data traffic is
   provided.  Additionally, time-based conditions can be expressed based
   on the functionality offered in Section 4.2.  The action part of a
   rule contains information for handling conflict resolution, such as a
   priority value for each individual rule within a rule set, and
   further description regarding QoS related actions.

2.  Terminology

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119 [RFC2119].

3.  Rule Sets and Rules

   As mentioned in the introduction the top-level element is the Rule-
   Set AVP that encapsulates one or more Rule AVPs.

3.1.  Rule-Set AVP

   The Rule-Set AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Grouped and describes a
   list of policies..

   Rule-Set ::= < AVP Header: XXX >
                   1*{ Rule }
                   * [ AVP ]

3.2.  Rule AVP

   TheRule AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Grouped and defines a specific

[Victor: /TheRule/The Rule/]

   condition and action combination.  The QoS related actions defined in
   this document therefore one or more traffic flows together with a set
   of QoS parameters that should be applied to the flow(s) by the
   Resource Management Function.

[Victor: I had trouble deciphering the last sentence :) ... can we rephrase this ?]

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                 [Page 4]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

                       Rule ::= < AVP Header: XXX >

                               ; Condition part of a Rule
                               ; ------------------------

                                [ Classifier ]
                              * [ Time-Of-Day-Condition ]

                               ; Action and Meta-Data
                               ; --------------------

                                [ Action ]
                                [ Rule-Precedence ]

                               ; Info about QoS related Actions
                               ; ------------------------------

                                [ QoS-Semantics ]
                                [ QoS-Profile-Template ]
                                [ QoS-Parameters ]
                                [ Excess-Treatment ]

                               ; Extension Point
                               ; ---------------
                              * [ AVP ]

   If the QoS-Profile-Template AVP is not included in the Rule AVP then
   the default setting is assumed, namely a setting of the Vendor-Id AVP
   to 0 (for IETF) and the QoS-Profile-Id AVP to zero (0) (for the
   profile defined in [I-D.ietf-dime-qos-parameters]).  Note that the
   content of the QoS-Parameters are defined in the respective
   specification defining the QoS parameters.  When the Vendor-Id AVP is
   set to 0 (for IETF) and the QoS-Profile-Id AVP is set to zero (0)
   then the AVPs included in the QoS-Parameters AVP are the AVPs defined
   in [I-D.ietf-dime-qos-parameters].

[Victor: A couple of notes based on last conf call:
* I'm in favor of keeping a list of rule-set flat, i.e. no JUMP TO ANOTHER CLASSIFER action. Extension docs can probably do those kind of things.
* I understand that the 'mark' action is very useful but we have to make it clear that further actions for marked packets maybe application or deployment specific are not defined in this document]

4.  Conditions

   This section describe the condition part of a rule.

4.1.  Traffic Classifiers

   Classifiers are used in many applications to specify how to select a
   subset of data packets for subsequent treatment as indicated in the
   action part of a rule.  For example in a QoS application, if a packet
   matches a classifier then that packet will be treated in accordance

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                 [Page 5]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

   with a QoS specification associated with that classifier.  Figure 1
   shows a typical deployment.

                                                           +-----------+
                                                          +-----------+|
       +--------+          +-------------+              +------------+||
       |        |   IN     |             |              |            |||
       |        +--------->|             +------------->|            |||
       |Managed |          | Classifying |              | Unmanaged  |||
       |Terminal|   OUT    | Entity      |              | Terminal   |||
       |        |<---------+             |<-------------+            ||+
       |        |          |             |              |            |+
       +--------+          +-------------+              +------------+
                                   ^
                                   | Classifiers
                                   |
                           +------+------+
                           |             |
                           |     AAA     |
                           |             |
                           +-------------+

              Figure 1: Example of a Classifier Architecture

   The managed terminal, the terminal for which the classifiers are
   being specified is located on the left of the Classifying Entity.
   The unmanaged terminal, the terminal that receives packets from the
   Managed terminal or sends packets to the managed terminal is located
   to the right side of the Classifying Entity.

   The Classifying Entity is responsible for classifying packets that
   are incoming (IN) from the Managed Terminal or packets outgoing (OUT)
   to the Managed Terminal.

   A Classifier consists of a group of attributes that specify how to
   match a packet.  Each set of attributes expresses values about
   aspects of the packet - typically the packet header.  Different
   protocols therefore would use different attributes.

   In general a Classifier consists of the following:

   Identifier:

      The identifier uniquely identifies this classifier and may be used
      to reference the classifier from another structure.

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                 [Page 6]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

   From:

      Specifies the rule for matching the source part of the packet.

[Victor: /source/protocol specific source address/s]

   To:

      Specifies the rule for matching the destination part of the
      packet.

[Victor: /destination/protocol specific destination address/s]

   Protocol:

      Specifies the matching protocol of the packet.

   Direction:

      Specifies whether the classifier is to apply to packets flowing
      from the Managed Terminal (IN) or to packets flowing to the
      Managed Terminal (OUT), or packets flowing in both direction.

   Options:

      Associated with each protocol or layer, or various values specific

[Victor: /Associated/Attributes or properties associated/s]

      to the header of the protocol or layer.  Options allow matching on
      those values.

   Each protocol type will have a specific set of attributes that can be
   used to specify a classifier for that protocol.  These attributes
   will be grouped under a grouped AVP called a Classifier AVP.

4.1.1.  Classifier AVP

   The Classifier AVP (AVP Code TBD) is a grouped AVP that consists of a
   set of attributes that specify how to match a packet.

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                 [Page 7]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

   Classifier ::= < AVP Header: XXX >
                  { Classifier-ID }
                  { Protocol }
                  { Direction }
                * [ From-Spec ]
                * [ To-Spec ]
                * [ Diffserv-Code-Point ]
                  [ Fragmentation-Flag ]
                * [ IP-Option ]
                * [ TCP-Option ]
                  [ TCP-Flags ]
                * [ ICMP-Type ]
                * [ ETH-Option ]
                * [ AVP ]

4.1.2.  Classifier-ID AVP

   The Classifier-ID AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type OctetString and
   uniquely identifies the classifier.  Each application will define the
   uniqueness scope of this identifier, e.g. unique per terminal or
   globally unique.  

[Victor: What does 'globally unique' mean ? Does it mean globally unique within the context of the application ? If so, would it be better to say: unique within app AND terminal, app AND admin domain, ...]

Exactly one Classifier-ID AVP MUST be contained
   within a Classifier AVP.

4.1.3.  Protocol AVP

   The Protocol AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Enumerated and specifies
   the protocol being matched.  The attributes included in the
   Classifier AVP must be consistent with the value of the Protocol AVP.

[Victor: /must/MUST/s ???]

   Exactly one Protocol AVP MUST be contained within a Classifier AVP.
   The values for this AVP are managed by IANA under the Protocol
   Numbers registry [PROTOCOL].

4.1.4.  Direction AVP

   The Direction AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Enumerated that specifies
   in which direction to apply the Classifier.  The values of the
   enumeration are: "IN","OUT","BOTH".  In the "IN" and "BOTH"
   directions, the From-Spec refers to the address of the Managed
   Terminal and the To-Spec refers to the unmanaged terminal.  In the
   "OUT" direction, the From-Spec refers to the Unmanaged Terminal
   whereas the To-Spec refers to the Managed Terminal.

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                 [Page 8]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

     Value | Name and Semantic
     ------+--------------------------------------------------
       0   | RESERVED

[Victor: Why do we need RESERVED ???]

       1   | IN - The classifier applies to flows from the
           | Managed Terminal.
       2   | OUT - The classifier applies to flows to the
           | Managed Terminal.
       3   | BOTH - The classifier applies to flows both to
           | and from the Managed Terminal.

4.1.5.  From-Spec AVP

   The From-Spec AVP (AVP Code TBD) is a grouped AVP that specifies the
   Source Specification used to match the packet.  Zero or more of these
   AVPs may appear in the Classifier.  If this AVP is absent from the
   Classifier then all packets are matched regardless of the source
   address.  If more than one instance of this AVP appears in the
[Victor: /more than one/one or more/s]
   Classifier then the source of the packet can match any From-Spec AVP.

[Victor: /source/source address/s]

   The contents of this AVP are protocol specific.

   If more than one instance of the IP address AVPs (IP-Address, IP-
[Victor: /more than one/one or more/s]
   Address-Range, IP-Address-Mask, Use-Assigned-Address) appear in the
   From-Spec AVP then the source IP address of the packet must match one
[Victor: /must/MUST/s ???]
   of the addresses represented by these AVPs.

   If more that one instance of the layer 2 address AVPs (MAC-Address,
[Victor: /more than one/one or more/s]
   MAC-Address-Mask, EUI64-Address, EUI64-Address-Mask) appears in the
   From-Spec then the the source layer 2 address of the packet must
[Victor: /must/MUST/s ???]
   match one of the addresses represented in these AVPs.

   If more that one instance of the port AVPs (Port, Port-Range) appears
[Victor: /more than one/one or more/s]
   in the From-Spec AVP then the source port number must match one of
[Victor: /must/MUST/s ???]
   the port numbers represented in these AVPs.

   If the IP address, MAC address and port AVPs appear in the same From-
   Spec AVP then the source packet must match all the specifications,
[Victor: /must/MUST/s ???]
   i.e. match the IP address AND MAC address AND port number.

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                 [Page 9]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

   From-Spec ::= < AVP Header: XXX >
               * [ IP-Address ]
               * [ IP-Address-Range ]
               * [ IP-Address-Mask ]
               * [ MAC-Address ]
               * [ MAC-Address-Mask]
               * [ EUI64-Address ]
               * [ EUI64-Address-Mask]
               * [ Port ]
               * [ Port-Range ]
                 [ Negated ]
                 [ Use-Assigned-Address ]
               * [ AVP ]

[Victor: It seems everything is optional ... what happens if this is empty ? same for To-Spec]

4.1.6.  To-Spec AVP

   The To-Spec AVP (AVP Code TBD) is a grouped AVP that specifies the
   Destination Specification used to match the packet.  Zero or more of
   these AVPs may appear in the Classifier.  If this AVP is absent from
   the Classifier then all packets are matched regardless of the
   destination address.  If more than one instance of this AVP appears
[Victor: /more than one/one or more/s]
   in the Classifier then the destination of the packet can match any
   To-Spec AVP.  The contents of this AVP are protocol specific.

   If more than one instance of the IP address AVPs (IP-Address, IP-
[Victor: /more than one/one or more/s]
   Address-Range, IP-Address-Mask, Use-Assigned-Address) appear in the
   To-Spec AVP then the destination IP address of the packet must match
[Victor: /must/MUST/s ???]
   one of the addresses represented by these AVPs.

   If more that one instance of the layer 2 address AVPs (MAC-Address,
[Victor: /more than one/one or more/s]
   MAC-Address-Mask, EUI64-Address, EUI64-Address-Mask) appears in the
   To-Spec then the the destination layer 2 address of the packet must
[Victor: /must/MUST/s ???]
   match one of the addresses represented in these AVPs.

   If more that one instance of the port AVPs (Port, Port-Range) appears
[Victor: /more than one/one or more/s]
   in the To-Spec AVP then the destination port number must match one of
[Victor: /must/MUST/s ???]
   the port numbers represented in these AVPs.

   If the IP address, MAC address and port AVPs appear in the same To-
   Spec AVP then the destination packet must match all the
   specifications, i.e. match the IP address AND MAC address AND port
   number.

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 10]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

   To-Spec ::= < AVP Header: XXX >
             * [ IP-Address ]
             * [ IP-Address-Range ]
             * [ IP-Address-Mask ]
             * [ MAC-Address ]
             * [ MAC-Address-Mask]
             * [ EUI64-Address ]
             * [ EUI64-Address-Mask]
             * [ Port ]
             * [ Port-Range ]
               [ Negated ]
               [ Use-Assigned-Address ]
             * [ AVP ]

4.1.7.  Source and Destination AVPs

   For packet classification the contents of the From-Spec and To-Spec
   can contain the following AVPs.

[Victor: what AVPs ?]

   By combining several of these AVPs within a From-Spec or To-Spec AVP
   and using more than one From-Spec or To-Spec AVP in the Classifier
   AVP, one can express many different types of address pools.

[Victor: I must admit, I cannot understand what this section is implying :). Is it attempting to say that a match must be From-Spec AND To-Spec if both are present ? or some other combination ?]

4.1.7.1.  Negated AVP

   The Negated AVP (AVP Code TBD) of type Enumerated containing the
   values of True or False.  Exactly zero or one of these AVPs may
   appear in the From-Spec or To-Spec AVP.  When set to True the meaning
   of the match in the To-Spec and From-Spec are negated, causing all
   other addresses to be matched instead.

[Victor: Re-phrase last sentence to: "When set to True the meaning of the match is inverted. Addresses other than those in the To-Spec and From-Spec are to be matched instead."]

   When set to False, or when the AVP is not included in the From-Spec
   or To-Spec AVP then the meaning of the match is not inverted, causing
   only the addresses specified to be matched.

[Victor: Re-phrase: "When set to False, or when the AVP is not included then the address specified To-Spec and From-Spec AVP are to be matched."]

   Note that the negation does not impact the port comparisons.

     Value | Name
     ------+--------
       0   | False
       1   | True

4.1.7.2.  IP-Address AVP

   The IP-Address AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Address and specifies a
   single IP address (IPv4 or IPv6) address to match.

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 11]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

4.1.7.3.  IP-Address-Range AVP

   The IP-Address-Range AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Grouped and
   specifies an inclusive IP address range.

   IP-Address-Range ::= < AVP Header: XXX >
                        [ IP-Address-Start ]
                        [ IP-Address-End ]
                      * [ AVP ]

   If the IP-Address-Start AVP is not included then the address range
   starts from the first valid IP address up to and including the
   specified IP-Address-End address.

   If the IP-Address-End AVP is not included then the address range
   starts at the address specified by the IP-Address-Start AVP and
   includes all the remaining valid IP addresses.

   For the IP-Address-Range AVP to be valid, the IP-Address-Start AVP
   MUST contain a value that is less than that of the IP-Address-End
   AVP.

[Victor: Should at least one of these AVP be present in at any given time ? If not, what is the semantics ?]

4.1.7.4.  IP-Address-Start AVP

   The IP-Address-Start AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Address and
   specifies the first IP address (IPv4 or IPv6) address of an IP
   address range.

4.1.7.5.  IP-Address-End AVP

   The IP-Address-End AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Address and
   specifies the last IP address (IPv4 or IPv6) address of an address
   range.

4.1.7.6.  IP-Address-Mask AVP

   The IP-Address-Mask AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Grouped and
   specifies an IP address range using a base IP address and the bit-
   width of the mask.  For example, a range expressed as 1.2.3.0/24 will
   match all IP addresses from 1.2.3.0 up to and including 1.2.3.255.
   The bit-width MUST be valid for the type of IP address.

   IP-Address-Mask ::= < AVP Header: XXX >
                       { IP-Address }
                       { IP-Bit-Mask-Width }
                     * [ AVP ]

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 12]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

4.1.7.7.  IP-Mask-Bit-Mask-Width AVP

   The IP-Bit-Mask-Width AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type OctetString.  The
   value is a single octet and specifies the width of an IP address bit-
   mask.

4.1.7.8.  MAC-Address AVP

   The MAC-Address AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type OctetString and
   specifies a single layer 2 address in MAC-48 format.  The value is a
   6 octets encoding of the address as it would appear in the frame
   header.

4.1.7.9.  MAC-Address-Mask AVP

   The MAC-Address-Mask AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Grouped and
   specifies a set of MAC addresses using a bit mask to indicate the
   bits of the MAC addresses which must fit to the specified MAC address
   attribute.  For example, a MAC-Address-Mask with the MAC-Address as
   00-10-A4-23-00-00 and with a MAC-Address-Mask-Pattern of FF-FF-FF-FF-
   00-00 will match all MAC addresses from 00-10-A4-23-00-00 up to and
   including 00-10-A4-23-FF-FF.

[Victor: Is MAC-Address-Mask-Pattern a bitmask or bitwidth ? The example suggest a bit-width / range but 4.1.7.10 says bit positions which seems does not imply range, i.e.: I can have a bit-mask of FF-FF-00-00-FF-FF for example]

   MAC-Address-Mask ::= < AVP Header: XXX >
                        { MAC-Address }
                        { MAC-Address-Mask-Pattern }
                      * [ AVP ]

4.1.7.10.  MAC-Address-Mask-Pattern AVP

   The MAC-Address-Mask-Pattern AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type
   OctetString.  The value is a 6 octets specifying the bit positions of
   a MAC address, that are taken for matching.

4.1.7.11.  EUI64-Address AVP

   The EUI64-Address AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type OctetString and
   specifies a single layer 2 address in EUI-64 format.  The value is a
   8 octets encoding of the address as it would appear in the frame
   header.

4.1.7.12.  EUI64-Address-Mask AVP

   The EUI64-Address-Mask AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Grouped and
   specifies a set of EUI64 addresses using a bit mask to indicate the
   bits of the EUI64 addresses which must fit to the specified EUI64
   address attribute.  For example, a EUI64-Address-Mask with the EUI64-
   Address as 00-10-A4-FF-FE-23-00-00 and with a EUI64-Address-Mask-

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 13]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

   Pattern of FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-00-00 will match all EUI64 addresses
   from 00-10-A4-FF-FE-23-00-00 up to and including 00-10-A4-FF-FE-23-
   FF-FF.

[Victor: same comment as 4.1.7.9]

   EUI64-Address-Mask ::= < AVP Header: XXX >
                          { EUI64-Address }
                          { EUI64-Address-Mask-Pattern }
                        * [ AVP ]

4.1.7.13.  EUI64-Address-Mask-Pattern AVP

   The EUI64-Address-Mask-Pattern AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type
   OctetString.  The value is a 8 octets specifying the bit positions of
   a EUI64 address, that are taken for matching.

4.1.7.14.  Port AVP

   The Port AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Integer32 in the range of 0 to
   65535 and specifies the TCP or UDP port number to match.

[Victor: This is the first time TCP and UDP is mentioned, all of the above text implies a sort of protocol generality. Should it be the same here ? i.e. I can have SCTP ports also]

4.1.7.15.  Port-Range AVP

   The Port-Range AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Grouped and specifies an
   inclusive range of ports.

   Port-Range ::= < AVP Header: XXX >
                  [ Port-Start ]
                  [ Port-End ]
                * [ AVP ]

   If the Port-Start AVP is omitted then port 0 is assumed.  If the
   Port-End AVP is omitted then port 65535 is assumed.

[Victor: Do we make sure at least one of these AVPs are present ?]

4.1.7.16.  Port-Start AVP

   The Port-Start AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Integer32 and specifies
   the first port number of an IP port range.

4.1.7.17.  Port-End AVP

   The Port-End AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Integer32 and specifies
   the last port number of an IP port range.

4.1.7.18.  Use-Assigned-Address AVP

   In some scenarios, the AAA does not know the IP address assigned to
   the Managed Terminal at the time that the Classifier is sent to the

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 14]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

   Classifying Entity.  The Use-Assigned-Address AVP (AVP Code TBD) is
   of type Enumerated containing the values of True or False.  When
   present and set to True, it represents the IP address assigned to the
   Managed Terminal.

     Value | Name
     ------+--------
       0   | False
       1   | True

[Victor: Are we talking the classifying entity dynamically adding the managed terminals IP into this classifier entry ?, i.e. everytime a new terminal sends packets then a new entry is added with a new From-Spec ? If so, would'nt this be equivalent to a missing From-Spec for IN in the Classifier ?]

4.1.8.  Header Option AVPs

   The Classifier AVP may contain one or more of the following AVPs to

   match on the various possible IP, TCP or ICMP header options.

4.1.8.1.  Diffserv-Code-Point AVP

   The Diffserv-Code-Point AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Enumerated and
   specifies the Differentiated Services Field Codepoints to match in
   the IP header.  The values are managed by IANA under the
   Differentiated Services Field Codepoints registry [DSCP].

4.1.8.2.  Fragmentation-Flag AVP

   The Fragmentation-Flag AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Enumerated and
   specifies the packet fragmentation flags to match in the IP header.

     Value | Name and Semantic
     ------+------------------------------------------------------------
       0   | RESERVED
[Victor: Why do we need reserved ? Are we checking whether the fragmentation reserved flag in the IP header matches ? ]
       1   | Don't Fragment (DF)
       2   | More Fragments (MF)

4.1.8.3.  IP-Option AVP

   The IP-Option AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Grouped and specifies an
   IP header option that must be matched.

   IP-Option ::= < AVP Header: XXX >
                 { IP-Option-Type }
               * [ IP-Option-Value ]
                 [ Negated ]
               * [ AVP ]

   If one or more IP-Option-Value AVPs are present, one of the values

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 15]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

   MUST match the value in the IP header option.  If the IP-Option-Value
   AVP is absent, the option type MUST be present in the IP header but
   the value is wild carded.

   The Negated AVP is used in conjunction with the IP-Option-Value AVPs
   to specify IP header options which do not match specific values.  The
   Negated AVP is used without the IP-Option-Value AVP to specify IP
   headers which do not contain the option type.

4.1.8.4.  IP-Option-Type AVP

   The IP-Option-Type AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Enumerated and the
   values are managed by IANA under the IP Option Numbers registry
   [IPOPTIONS].

4.1.8.5.  IP-Option-Value AVP

   The IP-Option-Value AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type OctetString and
   contains the option value that must be matched.

4.1.8.6.  TCP-Option AVP

   The TCP-Option AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Grouped and specifies a
   TCP header option that must be matched.

   TCP-Option ::= < AVP Header: XXX >
                  { TCP-Option-Type }
                * [ TCP-Option-Value ]
                  [ Negated ]
                * [ AVP ]

   If one or more TCP-Option-Value AVPs are present, one of the values
   MUST match the value in the TCP header option.  If the TCP-Option-
   Value AVP is absent, the option type MUST be present in the TCP
   header but the value is wild carded.

   The Negated AVP is used in conjunction which the TCP-Option-Value
   AVPs to specify TCP header options which do not match specific
   values.  The Negated AVP is used without the TCP-Option-Value AVP to
   specify TCP headers which do not contain the option type.

4.1.8.7.  TCP-Option-Type AVP

   The TCP-Option-Type AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Enumerated and the
   values are managed by IANA under the TCP Option Numbers registry
   [TCPOPTIONS].

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 16]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

4.1.8.8.  TCP-Option-Value AVP

   The TCP-Option-Value AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type OctetString and
   contains the option value that must be matched.

4.1.8.9.  TCP-Flags AVP

   The TCP-Flags AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Grouped and specifies a
   set of TCP control flags that must be matched.

   TCP-Flags ::= < AVP Header: XXX >
              1* { TCP-Flag-Type }
                 [ Negated ]
               * [ AVP ]

   If the Negated AVP is not present, the TCP-Flag-Type AVPs specifies
[Victor: /not present/not present or present but set to False/s]
   which flags MUST be set.  If the Negated AVP is present, the TCP-
[Victor: /present/set to True/s]
   Flag-Type AVPs specifies which flags MUST be cleared.

4.1.8.10.  TCP-Flag-Type AVP

   The TCP-Flag-Type AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Enumerated and
   specifies a TCP control flag type that must be matched.

     Value | Name and Semantic
     ------+------------------------------------------------------------
       0   | RESERVED
[Victor: same comment as in 4.1.8.2]
       1   | CWR - Congestion Window Reduced.
       2   | ECE - ECN-Echo. TCP peer is ECN capable.
       3   | URG - URGent pointer field is significant.
       4   | ACK - ACKnowledgment field is significant.
       5   | PSH - Push function.
       6   | RST - Reset the connection.
       7   | SYN - Synchronize sequence numbers.
       8   | FIN - No more data from sender.

4.1.8.11.  ICMP-Type

   The ICMP-Type AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Grouped and specifies a
   ICMP message type that must be matched.

   ICMP-Type ::= < AVP Header: XXX >
                 { ICMP-Type-Number }
               * [ ICMP-Code ]
                 [ Negated ]

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 17]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

               * [ AVP ]

   If the ICMP-Code AVP is present, the value MUST match that in the
   ICMP header.  If the ICMP-Code AVP is absent, the ICMP type MUST be
   present in the ICMP header but the code is wild carded.

   The Negated AVP is used in conjunction which the ICMP-Code AVPs to
   specify ICMP codes which do not match specific values.  The Negated
   AVP is used without the ICMP-Code AVP to specify ICMP headers which
   do not contain the ICMP type.
[Victor: Is this the intent of the last sentence ? : "The Negated AVP feature applies to ICMP-Code AVP if it is present. If absent, the Negated AVP feature applies to ICMP-Type-Number"]

4.1.8.12.  ICMP-Type-Number AVP

   The ICMP-Type-Number AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Enumerated and the
   values are managed by IANA under the ICMP Type Numbers registry
   [ICMPTYPE].

4.1.8.13.  ICMP-Code AVP

   The ICMP-Code AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Enumerated and the values
   are managed by IANA under the ICMP Type Numbers registry [ICMPTYPE].

4.1.8.14.  ETH-Option AVP

   The ETH-Option AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Grouped and specifies
   Ethernet specific attributes.

   ETH-Option ::= < AVP Header: XXX >
                  { ETH-Proto-Type }
                * [ VLAN-ID-Range ]
                * [ ETH-Priority-Range ]
                * [ AVP ]

4.1.8.15.  ETH-Proto-Type AVP

   The Eth-Proto-Type AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Grouped and
   specifies the encapsulated protocol type.  ETH-Ether-Type and ETH-SAP
   are mutually exclusive.

   ETH-Proto-Type ::= < AVP Header: XXX >
                    * [ ETH-Ether-Type ]
                    * [ ETH-SAP ]
                    * [ AVP ]

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 18]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

4.1.8.16.  ETH-Ether-Type AVP

   The ETH-Ether-Type AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type OctetString.  The
   value is a double octet the contains the value of the Ethertype field
   in the packet to match.  This AVP MAY be present in the case of DIX
   or if SNAP is present at 802.2 but the ETH-SAP AVP MUST NOT be
   present in this case.

4.1.8.17.  ETH-SAP AVP

   The ETH-SAP AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type OctetString.  The value is
   a double octet representing the 802.2 SAP as specified in
   [IEEE802.2].  The first octet contains the DSAP and the second the
   SSAP.

4.1.8.18.  VLAN-ID-Range AVP

   The VLAN-ID-Range AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Grouped and specifies
   the VLAN range to match.  VLAN identities are either specified by a
   single VLAN-ID according to [IEEE802.1Q] or by a combination of
   Customer and Service VLAN-IDs according to [IEEE802.1ad].

   The single VLAN-ID is represented by the C-VID-Start and C-VID-End
   AVPs and the S-VID-Start and S-VID-End AVPs SHALL be ommitted in this
   case.  
[Victor: What is being omitted ?]

If the VLAN-ID-Range AVP is omitted from the Classifier, then
   comparison of the VLAN identity of the packet is irrelevant.

   VLAN-ID-Range ::= < AVP Header: XXX >
                     [ S-VID-Start ]
                     [ S-VID-End ]
                     [ C-VID-Start ]
                     [ C-VID-End ]
                   * [ AVP ]

   When the S-VID-Start AVP is present but the S-VID-End AVP is absent,
   the S-VID-Start AVP value MUST equal the value of the IEEE 802.1ad
   S-VID bits specified in [IEEE802.1ad] for a successful match.  

[Victor: Is this new sematic necessary ? The other range features does not have this semantic. They use only start and end. If an exact match is needed then they use start == end]

When
   both S-VID-Start and S-VID-End AVPs are present, the value of the
   IEEE 802.1ad S-VID bits MUST be greater than or equal to the S-VID-
   Start AVP value and less than or equal to the S-VID-End AVP value for
   a successful match.  If the S-VID-Start and S-VID-End AVPs are
   omitted, then existence of IEEE802.1ad encapsulation or comparison of
   the IEEE 802.1ad S-VID bits is irrelevamt for this Classifier.  If
   the S-VID-Start and S-VID-End AVPs are specified, then Ethernet
   packets without IEEE 802.1ad encapsulation MUST NOT match this
   Classifier.

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 19]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

   When the C-VID-Start AVP is present but the C-VID-End AVP is absent,
   the C-VID-Start AVP value MUST equal the value of the IEEE 802.1ad
   C-VID bits specified in [IEEE802.1ad] or the IEEE 802.1Q VLAN-ID bits
   specified in [IEEE802.1Q] for a successful match.  

[Victor: same comment as above]

When both C-VID-
   Start and C-VID-End AVPs are present, the value of the IEEE 802.1ad
   C-VID bits or the IEEE 802.1Q VLAN-ID bits MUST be greater than or
   equal to the C-VID-Start AVP value and less than or equal to the
   C-VID-End AVP value for a successful match.  If the C-VID-Start and
   C-VID-End AVPs are omitted, then comparison of the IEEE 802.1ad C-VID
   bits or IEEE 802.1Q VLAN-ID bits for this Classifier is irrelevant.
   If the C-VID-Start and C-VID-End AVPs are specified, then Ethernet
   packets without IEEE 802.1ad or IEEE 802.1Q encapsulation MUST NOT
   match this Classifier.

4.1.8.19.  S-VID-Start AVP

   The S-VID-Start AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Unsigned32.  The value
   MUST be in the range from 0 to 4095.  The value of this AVP specifies
   the start value of the range of S-VID VLAN-IDs to be matched.

4.1.8.20.  S-VID-End AVP

   The S-VID-End AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Unsigned32.  The value
   MUST be in the range from 0 to 4095.  The value of this AVP specifies
   the end value of the range of S-VID VLAN-IDs to be matched.

4.1.8.21.  C-VID-Start AVP

   The C-VID-Start AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Unsigned32.  The value
   MUST be in the range from 0 to 4095.  The value of this AVP specifies
   the start value of the range of C-VID VLAN-IDs to be matched.

4.1.8.22.  C-VID-End AVP

   The C-VID-End AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Unsigned32.  The value
   MUST be in the range from 0 to 4095.  The value of this AVP specifies
   the end value of the range of C-VID VLAN-IDs to be matched.

4.1.8.23.  ETH-Priority-Range AVP

   The ETH-Priority-Range AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Grouped and
   specifies an inclusive range to match the user_priority parameter
   specified in [IEEE802.1D].  An Ethernet packet containing the
   user_priority parameter matches this Classifier if the value is
   greater than or equal to ETH-Low-Priority and less than or equal to
   ETH-High-Priority.  If this AVP is omitted, then comparison of the
   IEEE 802.1D user_priority parameter for this Classifier is
   irrelevant.

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 20]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

   ETH-Priority-Range ::= < AVP Header: XXX >
                        * [ ETH-Low-Priority ]
                        * [ ETH-High-Priority ]
                        * [ AVP ]

4.1.8.24.  ETH-Low-Priority AVP

   The ETH-Low-Priority AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Unsigned32.  The
   value MUST be in the range from 0 to 7.

4.1.8.25.  ETH-High-Priority AVP

   The ETH-High-Priority AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Unsigned32.  The
   value MUST be in the range from 0 to 7.

4.2.  Time Of Day AVPs

   In many QoS applications, the QoS specification applied to the
   traffic flow is conditional upon the time of day when the flow was
   observed.  The following sections define AVPs that can be used to
   express one or more time windows which determine when a QoS
   specification is applicable to a traffic flow.

4.2.1.  Time-Of-Day-Condition AVP

   The Time-Of-Day-Condition AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Grouped and
   specifies one or more time windows.

   Time-Of-Day-Condition ::= < AVP Header: XXX >
                             [ Time-Of-Day-Start ]
                             [ Time-Of-Day-End ]
                             [ Day-Of-Week-Mask ]
                             [ Day-Of-Month-Mask ]
                             [ Month-Of-Year-Mask ]
                             [ Absolute-Start-Time ]
                             [ Absolute-End-Time ]
                             [ Timezone-Flag ]
                           * [ AVP ]

[Victor: We should mention that if most of the AVPs above are present, their evaluation criteria or values are allowed to overlap]

   If more than one instance of this AVP is present in the Rule AVP, the
   current time at QoS rule evaluation MUST be within at least one of
   the time windows specified in one of the Time-Of-Day-Condition AVPs.

   When the Time-Of-Day-Condition AVP and Classifier AVP are present in
   the same Rule AVP, both the time of day and packet classification
   conditions MUST match for the QoS specification to be applied.

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 21]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

   For example, a time window for 9am to 5pm (local time) from Monday to
   Friday would be expressed as:

   Time-Of-Day-Condition = {
       Time-Of-Day-Start = 32400;
       Time-Of-Day-End = 61200;
       Day-Of-Week-Mask =
           ( MONDAY | TUESDAY | WEDNESDAY | THURSDAY | FRIDAY );
       Timezone-Flag = LOCAL;
   }

4.2.2.  Time-Of-Day-Start AVP

   The Time-Of-Day-Start AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Unsigned32.  The
   value MUST be in the range from 0 to 86400.  The value of this AVP
   specifies the start of an inclusive time window expressed as the
   offset in seconds from midnight.  If this AVP is absent from the
   Time-Of-Day-Condition AVP, the time window starts at midnight.

4.2.3.  Time-Of-Day-End AVP

   The Time-Of-Day-End AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Unsigned32.  The
   value MUST be in the range from 1 to 86400.  The value of this AVP
   specifies the end of an inclusive time window expressed as the offset
   in seconds from midnight.  If this AVP is absent from the Time-Of-
   Day-Condition AVP, the time window ends one second before midnight.

4.2.4.  Day-Of-Week-Mask AVP

   The Day-Of-Week-Mask AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Unsigned32.  The
   value is a bitmask which specifies the day of the week for the time
   window to match.  This document specifies the following bits:

      Bit  | Name
     ------+------------
       0   | SUNDAY
       1   | MONDAY
       2   | TUESDAY
       3   | WEDNESDAY
       4   | THURSDAY
       5   | FRIDAY
       6   | SATURDAY

   The bit MUST be set for the time window to match on the corresponding
   day of the week.  Bit 0 is the most significant bit and unused bits
   MUST be cleared.  If this AVP is absent from the Time-Of-Day-
   Condition AVP, the time windows match on all days of the week.

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 22]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

4.2.5.  Day-Of-Month-Mask AVP

   The Day-Of-Week-Month AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Unsigned32.  The
   value MUST be in the range from 0 to 2147483647.  The value is a
   bitmask which specifies the days of the month where bit 0 represents
   the first day of the month through to bit 30 which represents the
   last day of the month.  The bit MUST be set for the time window to
   match on the corresponding day of the month.  Bit 0 is the most
   significant bit and unused bits MUST be cleared.  If this AVP is
   absent from the Time-Of-Day-Condition AVP, the time windows match on
   all days of the month.

4.2.6.  Month-Of-Year-Mask AVP

   The Month-Of-Year-Month AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Unsigned32.
   The value is a bitmask which specifies the months of the year for the
   time window to match.  This document specifies the following bits:

      Bit  | Name
     ------+-----------
       0   | JANUARY
       1   | FEBRUARY
       2   | MARCH
       3   | APRIL
       4   | MAY
       5   | JUNE
       6   | JULY
       7   | AUGUST
       8   | SEPTEMBER
       9   | OCTOBER
       10  | NOVEMBER
       11  | DECEMBER

   The bit MUST be set for the time window to match on the corresponding
   month of the year.  Bit 0 is the most significant bit and unused bits
   MUST be cleared.  If this AVP is absent from the Time-Of-Day-
   Condition AVP, the time windows match during all months of the year.

4.2.7.  Absolute-Start-Time AVP

   The Absolute-Start-Time AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Time.  The
   value of this AVP specifies the time in seconds since January 1,
   1900, 00:00 UTC when the time window starts.  If this AVP is absent
   from the Time-Of-Day-Condition AVP, the time window starts on January
   1, 1900, 00:00 UTC.

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 23]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

4.2.8.  Absolute-End-Time AVP

   The Time-Of-Day-End AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Time.  The value of
   this AVP specifies the time in seconds since January 1, 1900, 00:00
   UTC when the time window ends.  If this AVP is absent from the Time-
   Of-Day-Condition AVP, the time window is open-ended.

4.2.9.  Timezone-Flag AVP

   The Timezone-Flag AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Enumerated and
   indicates whether the time windows are specified in UTC, local time
   at the managed terminal or as an offset from UTC.  If this AVP is
   absent from the Time-Of-Day-Condition AVP, the time windows are in
   UTC.

   This document defines the following values:

     Value | Name and Semantic
     ------+--------------------------------------------------
       0   | RESERVED

[Victor: If the value was set to RESERVED then what does it mean ? How do we classify ?]

       1   | UTC - The time windows are expressed in UTC.
       2   | LOCAL - The time windows are expressed in local
           | time at the Managed Terminal.
       3   | OFFSET - The time windows are expressed as an
           | offset from UTC (see Timezone-Offset AVP).

4.2.10.  Timezone-Offset AVP

   The Timezone-Offset AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Integer32.  The
   value of this AVP MUST be in the range from -43200 to 43200.  It
   specifies the offset in seconds from UTC that was used to express
   Time-Of-Day-Start, Time-Of-Day-End, Day-Of-Week-Mask, Day-Of-Month-
   Mask and Month-Of-Year-Mask AVPs.  This AVP MUST be present if the
   Timezone-Flag AVP is set to OFFSET.

5.  Actions

   This section illustrates the actions associated with a rule.  This
   document only defines QoS specific actions but further actions can be
   specified as extensions.

5.1.  Action AVP

   The Action AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Enumerated and lists the
   actions that are associated with the condition part of a rule.  The
   following actions are defined in this document:

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 24]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

      0: drop
      1: shape
      2: mark

   drop:

      All traffic that is met by the condition part of a rule MUST be
      dropped.

   shape:

      When the action is set to 'shape', it is expected that the QoS-
      Parameters AVP carries QoS information to indicate how to shape
      the traffic indicated in the condition part of the rule.

   mark:

      When the action is set to 'mark', it is expected that the QoS-
      Parameters AVP carries information about the QoS class.

   Further action values can be registered, as described in
   Section 10.4.

5.2.  Diameter QoS Defined AVPs

5.2.1.  QoS-Profile-Id AVP

   The QoS-Profile-Id AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Unsigned32 and
   contains a QoS profile template identifier.  An initial QoS profile
   template is defined with value of 0 and can be found in
   [I-D.ietf-dime-qos-parameters].  The registry for the QoS profile
   templates is created with the same document.

5.2.2.  QoS-Profile-Template AVP

   The QoS-Profile-Template AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Grouped and
   defines the namespace of the QoS profile (indicated in the Vendor-ID
   AVP) followed by the specific value for the profile.

   The Vendor-Id AVP contains a 32 bit IANA SMI Network Management
   Private Enterprise Code and the QoS-Profile-Id AVP contains the
   template identifier assigned by the vendor.  The vendor identifier of
   zero (0) is used for the IETF.

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 25]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

   QoS-Profile-Template ::= < AVP Header: XXX >
                            { Vendor-Id }
                            { QoS-Profile-Id }
                            * [ AVP ]

5.2.3.  QoS-Semantics

   The QoS-Semantics AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Enumerated and
   provides the semantics for the QoS-Profile-Template and QoS-
   Parameters AVPs in the Rule AVP.

   This document defines the following values:

    (0): QoS-Desired
    (1): QoS-Available
    (2): QoS-Reserved
    (3): Minimum-QoS
    (4): QoS-Authorized

   The semantic of the QoS parameters depend on the information provided
   in the list above.  The semantics of the different values are as
   follows:

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 26]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

   Object Type    Direction   Semantic
   ---------------------------------------------------------------------
   QoS-Desired     C->S       Please authorize the indicated QoS
   QoS-Desired     C<-S       NA
   QoS-Available   C->S       Admission Control at interface indicates
                              that this QoS is available. (note 1)
   QoS-Available   C<-S       Indicated QoS is available. (note 2)
   QoS-Reserved    C->S       Used for reporting during accounting.
   QoS-Reserved    C<-S       NA
   Minimum-QoS     C->S       Indicates that the client is not
                              interested in authorizing QoS that is
                              lower than Min. QoS.
   Minimum-QoS     C<-S       The client must not provide QoS
                              guarantees lower than Min. QoS.
   QoS-Authorized  C->S       NA
   QoS-Authorized  C<-S       Indicated QoS authorized

   Legend:

     C: Diameter client
     S: Diameter server
     NA: Not applicable to this document;
         no semantic defined in this specification

   Notes:

    (1) QoS-Available is only useful in relationship with QoS-Desired
        (and optionally with Minimum-QoS).
    (2) QoS-Available is only useful when the AAA server performs
        admission control and knows about the resources in the network.

5.2.4.  QoS-Parameters AVP

   The QoS-Parameters AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type grouped and contains
   Quality of Service parameters.  These parameters are defined in
   separate documents and depend on the indicated QoS profile template
   of the QoS-Profile-Template AVP.  For an initial QoS parameter
   specification see [I-D.ietf-dime-qos-parameters].

   QoS-Parameters  ::= < AVP Header: XXX >
                        * [ AVP ]

5.2.5.  Rule-Precedence AVP

   The Rule-Precedence AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Unsigned32 and
   specifies the execution order of the rules expressed in the Rule-Set
   AVP.  Rules with equal precedence MAY be executed in parallel if

[Victor: If run in parallel, what happens if both rules have successful matches but different actions ?]

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 27]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

   supported by the Resource Management Function.  If the Rule-
   Precedence AVP is absent from the Rule AVP, the rules SHOULD be
   executed in the order in which they appear in the Rule-Set AVP.  The
   lower the numerical value of Rule-Precedence AVP, the higher the rule
   precedence.

5.2.6.  Excess-Treatment AVP

   The Excess-Treatment AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type grouped and
   indicates how out-of- profile traffic, that is, traffic not covered

[Victor: /out-of- profile/out-of-profile/s]

   by the original QoS-Profile-Template and QoS-Parameters AVPs

[Victor: add "is treated." to the end of this sentence]

.  The
   additional QoS-Profile-Template and QoS-Parameters AVPs carried
   inside the Excess-Treatment AVP provide information about the QoS
   treatment of the excess traffic.

   Excess-Treatment ::= < AVP Header: XXX >
                        { Excess-Treatment-Action }
                        [ QoS-Profile-Template ]
                        [ QoS-Parameters ]
                        * [ AVP ]

5.2.7.  Excess-Treatment-Action

   The Excess-Treatment-Action AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Enumerated
   and lists the actions about how the out-of-traffic regarding a
   specific QoS profile is treated.

      0: drop
      1: shape
      2: remark
      3: no metering or policing is permitted

   drop:

      When excess treatment action is set to 'drop', all marked traffic
      MUST be dropped by a QoS aware node.

   shape:

      When excess treatment action is set to 'shape', it is expected
      that the QoS-Parameters AVP carries QoS information to what QoS
      parameter to re-shape the traffic.  An example would be to use the
      TMOD parameter defined in [I-D.ietf-dime-qos-parameters] and the
      excess traffic is then to be shaped to this TMOD.  When the
      shaping causes unbounded queue growth at the shaper traffic can be
      dropped.
[Victor: /at the shaper traffic can be dropped/at the shaper, then traffic can be dropped/s]

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 28]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

   remark:

      When excess treatment action is set to 'remark', it is expected
      that the QoS-Parameters AVP carries information about the QoS
      class.  For example, packets may be remarked to drop remarked to
      pertain to a particular QoS class.  In the latter case, remarking
      relates to a DiffServ-type model, where packets arrive marked as
      belonging to a certain QoS class, and when they are identified as
      excess, they should then be remarked to a different QoS Class.

   no metering or policing is permitted:

      If 'no metering or policing is permitted' is signaled, the QoS
      aware node should accept the excess treatment parameter set by the
      sender with special care so that excess traffic should not cause a
      problem.  To request the Null Meter [RFC3290] is especially
      strong, and should be used with caution.

   When the Excess-Treatment AVP is omitted then excess treatment is
   essentially unspecified and there are no guaranted behavior with
   regard to excess traffic, i.e., a QoS aware node can do what it finds
   suitable.

   Further values can be registered, as described in Section 10.3.

6.  QoS Capability Indication

   The QoS-Capability AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Grouped and contains
   a list of supported Quality of Service profile templates (and
   therefore the support of the respective parameter AVPs).

   The QoS-Capability AVP may be used for a simple announcement of the
   QoS capabilities and QoS profiles supported by a peer.  It may also
   be used to negotiate a mutually supported set of QoS capabilities and
   QoS profiles between two peers.

[Victor: Can we add a sentence: "In such a case, handling of failed negotiations is application and/or deployment specific."]

   QoS-Capability ::= < AVP Header: XXX >
                    * [ QoS-Profile-Template ]
                    * [ AVP ]

   The QoS-Profile-Template AVP is defined in Section 5.2.2.

7.  Examples

   This section shows a number of signaling flows where QoS negotiation

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 29]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

   and authorization is part of the conventional NASREQ, EAP or Credit
   Control applications message exchanges.  The signalling flows for the
   Diameter QoS Application are described in
   [I-D.ietf-dime-diameter-qos].

7.1.  Diameter EAP with QoS Information

   Figure 2 shows a simple signaling flow where a NAS (Diameter Client)
   announces its QoS awareness and capabilities included into the DER
   message and as part of the access authentication procedure.  Upon
   completion of the EAP exchange, the Diameter Server provides a pre-
   provisioned QoS profile with the QoS-Semantics in the Rule AVP set to
   "QoS-Authorized", to the NAS in the final DEA message.

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 30]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

    End                           Diameter                      Diameter
    Host                           Client                         Server
     |                               |                                |
     |        (initiate EAP)         |                                |
     |<----------------------------->|                                |
     |                               | Diameter-EAP-Request           |
     |                               | EAP-Payload(EAP Start)         |
     |                               | QoS-Capability                 |
     |                               |------------------------------->|
     |                               |                                |
     |                               |            Diameter-EAP-Answer |
     |                          Result-Code=DIAMETER_MULTI_ROUND_AUTH |
     |                               |    EAP-Payload(EAP Request #1) |
     |                               |<-------------------------------|
     |         EAP Request(Identity) |                                |
     |<------------------------------|                                |
     :                               :                                :
     :                     <<<more message exchanges>>>               :
     :                               :                                :
     |                               |                                |
     | EAP Response #N               |                                |
     |------------------------------>|                                |
     |                               | Diameter-EAP-Request           |
     |                               | EAP-Payload(EAP Response #N)   |
     |                               |------------------------------->|
     |                               |                                |
     |                               |            Diameter-EAP-Answer |
     |                               |   Result-Code=DIAMETER_SUCCESS |
     |                               |       EAP-Payload(EAP Success) |
     |                               |       [EAP-Master-Session-Key] |
     |                               |           (authorization AVPs) |
     |                               |       Rule-Set(QoS-Authorized) |
     |                               |<-------------------------------|
     |                               |                                |
     |                   EAP Success |                                |
     |<------------------------------|                                |
     |                               |                                |

     Figure 2: Example of a Diameter EAP enhanced with QoS Information

7.2.  Diameter NASREQ with QoS Information

   Figure 3 shows a similar pre-provisioned QoS signaling as in Figure 2
   but using the NASREQ application instead of EAP application.

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 31]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

      End                                             Diameter
      Host               NAS                            Server
       |                  |                              |
       |  Start Network   |                              |
       |  Attachment      |                              |
       |<---------------->|                              |
       |                  |                              |
       |                  |AA-Request                    |
       |                  |NASREQ-Payload                |
       |                  |QoS-Capability                |
       |                  +----------------------------->|
       |                  |                              |
       |                  |                     AA-Answer|
       |            Result-Code=DIAMETER_MULTI_ROUND_AUTH|
       |                NASREQ-Payload(NASREQ Request #1)|
       |                  |<-----------------------------+
       |                  |                              |
       | Request          |                              |
       |<-----------------+                              |
       |                  |                              |
       :                  :                              :
       :          <<<more message exchanges>>>           :
       :                  :                              :
       | Response #N      |                              |
       +----------------->|                              |
       |                  |                              |
       |                  |AA-Request                    |
       |                  |NASREQ-Payload ( Response #N )|
       |                  +----------------------------->|
       |                  |                              |
       |                  |                     AA-Answer|
       |                  |  Result-Code=DIAMETER_SUCCESS|
       |                  |          (authorization AVPs)|
       |                  |     Rule-Set(QoS-Authorized) |
       |                  |<-----------------------------+
       |                  |                              |
       | Success          |                              |
       |<-----------------+                              |
       |                  |                              |

   Figure 3: Example of a Diameter NASREQ enhanced with QoS Information

7.3.  QoS Authorization

   Figure 4 shows an example of authorization only QoS signaling as part
   of the NASREQ message exchange.  The NAS provides the Diameter server
   with the "QoS-Desired" QoS-Semantics AVP included in the Rule-Set
   AVP.  The Diameter server then either authorizes the indicated QoS or

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 32]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

   rejects the request and informs the NAS about the result.  In this
   scenario the NAS does not need to include the QoS-Capability AVP in
   the AAR message as the Rule-Set AVP implicitly does the same and also
   the NAS is authorizing a specific QoS profile, not a pre-provisioned
   one.

       End                                            Diameter
       Host               NAS                          Server
        |                  |                              |
        |                  |                              |
        |  QoS Request     |                              |
        +----------------->|                              |
        |                  |                              |
        |                  |AA-Request                    |
        |                  |Auth-Request-Type=AUTHORIZE_ONLY
        |                  |NASREQ-Payload                |
        |                  |Rule-Set(QoS-Desired)         |
        |                  +----------------------------->|
        |                  |                              |
        |                  |                     AA-Answer|
        |                  |       NASREQ-Payload(Success)|
        |                  |      Rule-Set(QoS-Authorized)|
        |                  |<-----------------------------+
        |  Accept          |                              |
        |<-----------------+                              |
        |                  |                              |
        |                  |                              |
        |                  |                              |

          Figure 4: Example of an Authorization-Only Message Flow

7.4.  Diameter Server Initiated Re-authorization of QoS

   Figure 5 shows a message exchange for a Diameter server initiated QoS
   re-authorization procedure.  The Diameter server sends the NAS a RAR
   message requesting re-authorization for an existing session and the
   NAS acknowledges it with a RAA message.  The NAS is aware of its
   existing QoS profile and information for the ongoing session that the
   Diameter server requested for re-authorization.  Thus, the NAS must
   initiate re-authorization of the existing QoS profile.  The re-
   authorization procedure is the same as in Figure 4.

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 33]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

      End                                             Diameter
      Host               NAS                            Server
       |                  |                              |
       |                  |                              |
       :                  :                              :
       :          <<<Initial Message Exchanges>>>         :
       :                  :                              :
       |                  |                              |
       |                  |                   RA-Request |
       |                  |<-----------------------------+
       |                  |                              |
       |                  |RA-Answer                     |
       |                  |Result-Code=DIAMETER_SUCCESS  |
       |                  +----------------------------->|
       |                  |                              |
       |                  |                              |
       |                  |AA-Request                    |
       |                  |NASREQ-Payload                |
       |                  |Auth-Request-Type=AUTHORIZE_ONLY
       |                  |Rule-Set(QoS-Desired)         |
       |                  +----------------------------->|
       |                  |                              |
       |                  |                     AA-Answer|
       |                  |  Result-Code=DIAMETER_SUCCESS|
       |                  |          (authorization AVPs)|
       |                  | Rule-Set(QoS-Authorized)     |
       |                  |<-----------------------------+
       |                  |                              |

    Figure 5: Example of a Server-initiated Re-Authorization Procedure

7.5.  Diameter Credit Control with QoS Information

   In this case the User is charged as soon as the Service Element (CC
   client) receives the service request.  In this case the client uses
   the "QoS-Desired" QoS-Semantics parameter in the Rule-Set AVP that it
   sends to the Accounitng server.  The server responds with a "QoS-
   Available" QoS-Semantics parameter in the Rule-Set AVP

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 34]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

                        Service Element
     End User            (CC Client)           B           CC Server
        |                     |                |                |
        |(1) Service Request  |                |                |
        |-------------------->|                |                |
        |                     |(2)  CCR (event, DIRECT_DEBITING,|
        |                     |     Rule-Set[QoS-desired])      |
        |                     |-------------------------------->|
        |                     |(3)  CCA (Granted-Units, QoS-    |
        |                     |     Resources[QoS-Authorized])  |
        |                     |<--------------------------------|
        |(4) Service Delivery |                |                |
        |<--------------------|                |                |
        |(5) Begin service    |                |                |
        |<------------------------------------>|                |
        |                     |                |                |
        .                     .                .                .
        .                     .                .                .

     Figure 6: Example for a One-Time Diameter Credit Control Charging
                                   Event

7.6.  Classifier Examples

   Example: Classify all packets from hosts on subnet 12.34.56.00/24 to
   ports 80, 8090 or 443 on web servers 23.45.67.123, 23.45.68.124,
   23.45.69.125.

   Classifier = {
       Classifier-Id = "web_svr_example";
       Protocol = TCP;
       Direction = OUT;
       From-Spec = {
           IP-Address-Mask = {
               IP-Address = 12.34.56.00;
               IP-Bit-Mask-Width = 24;
           }
       }
       To-Spec = {
           IP-Address = 23.45.67.123;
           IP-Address = 23.45.68.124;
           IP-Address = 23.45.69.125;
           Port = 80;
           Port = 8080;
           Port = 443;
       }
   }

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 35]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

   Example: Any SIP signalling traffic from a device with a MAC address
   of 01:23:45:67:89:ab to servers with IP addresses in the range
   34.56.78.90 to 34.56.78.190.

   Classifier = {
       Classifier-Id = "web_svr_example";
       Protocol = UDP;
       Direction = OUT;
       From-Spec = {
           MAC-Address = 01:23:45:67:89:ab;
       }
       To-Spec = {
           IP-Address-Range = {
               IP-Address-Start = 34.56.78.90;
               IP-Address-End = 34.56.78.190;
           }
           Port = 5060;
           Port = 3478;
           Port-Range = {
               Port-Start = 16348;
               Port-End = 32768;
           }
       }
   }

8.  Acknowledgments

   We would like to thank Victor Fajardo, Tseno Tsenov, Robert Hancock,
   Jukka Manner, Cornelia Kappler, Xiaoming Fu, Frank Alfano, Tolga
   Asveren, Mike Montemurro, Glen Zorn, Avri Doria, Dong Sun, Tina Tsou,
   Pete McCann, Georgios Karagiannis, Elwyn Davies, Max Riegel and Yong
   Li for their comments.

9.  Contributors

   Max Riegel contributed the VLAN sections.

10.  IANA Considerations

10.1.  AVP Codes

   IANA is requested to allocate AVP codes for the following AVPs that
   are defined in this document.

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 36]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

  +--------------------------------------------------------------------+
  |                                       AVP  Section                 |
  | Attribute Name                        Code Defined     Data Type   |
  +--------------------------------------------------------------------+
  |Rule-Set                               TBD    3.1       Grouped     |
  |Rule                                   TBD    3.2       Grouped     |
  |Classifier                             TBD    4.1.1     Grouped     |
  |Classifier-ID                          TBD    4.1.2     OctetString |
  |Protocol                               TBD    4.1.3     Enumerated  |
  |Direction                              TBD    4.1.4     Enumerated  |
  |From-Spec                              TBD    4.1.5     Grouped     |
  |To-Spec                                TBD    4.1.6     Grouped     |
  |Negated                                TBD    4.1.7.1   Enumerated  |
  |IP-Address                             TBD    4.1.7.2   Address     |
  |IP-Address-Range                       TBD    4.1.7.3   Grouped     |
  |IP-Address-Start                       TBD    4.1.7.4   Address     |
  |IP-Address-End                         TBD    4.1.7.5   Address     |
  |IP-Address-Mask                        TBD    4.1.7.6   Grouped     |
  |IP-Mask-Bit-Mask-Width                 TBD    4.1.7.7   OctetString |
  |MAC-Address                            TBD    4.1.7.8   OctetString |
  |MAC-Address-Mask                       TBD    4.1.7.9   Grouped     |
  |MAC-Address-Mask-Pattern               TBD    4.1.7.10  OctetString |
  |EUI64-Address                          TBD    4.1.7.11  OctetString |
  |EUI64-Address-Mask                     TBD    4.1.7.12  Grouped     |
  |EUI64-Address-Mask-Pattern             TBD    4.1.7.13  OctetString |
  |Port                                   TBD    4.1.7.14  Integer32   |
  |Port-Range                             TBD    4.1.7.15  Grouped     |
  |Port-Start                             TBD    4.1.7.16  Integer32   |
  |Port-End                               TBD    4.1.7.17  Integer32   |
  |Use-Assigned-Address                   TBD    4.1.7.18  Enumerated  |
  |Diffserv-Code-Point                    TBD    4.1.8.1   Enumerated  |
  |Fragmentation-Flag                     TBD    4.1.8.2   Enumerated  |
  |IP-Option                              TBD    4.1.8.3   Grouped     |
  |IP-Option-Type                         TBD    4.1.8.4   Enumerated  |
  |IP-Option-Value                        TBD    4.1.8.5   OctetString |
  |TCP-Option                             TBD    4.1.8.6   Grouped     |
  |TCP-Option-Type                        TBD    4.1.8.7   Enumerated  |
  |TCP-Option-Value                       TBD    4.1.8.8   OctetString |
  |TCP-Flags                              TBD    4.1.8.9   Grouped     |
  |TCP-Flag-Type                          TBD    4.1.8.10  Enumerated  |
  |ICMP-Type                              TBD    4.1.8.11  Grouped     |
  |ICMP-Type-Number                       TBD    4.1.8.12  Enumerated  |
  |ICMP-Code                              TBD    4.1.8.13  Enumerated  |
  |ETH-Option                             TBD    4.1.8.14  Grouped     |
  |ETH-Proto-Type                         TBD    4.1.8.15  Grouped     |
  |ETH-Ether-Type                         TBD    4.1.8.16  OctetString |
  |ETH-SAP                                TBD    4.1.8.17  OctetString |
  |VLAN-ID-Range                          TBD    4.1.8.18  Grouped     |

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 37]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

  |S-VID-Start                            TBD    4.1.8.19  Unsigned32  |
  |S-VID-End                              TBD    4.1.8.20  Unsigned32  |
  |C-VID-Start                            TBD    4.1.8.21  Unsigned32  |
  |C-VID-End                              TBD    4.1.8.22  Unsigned32  |
  |ETH-Priority-Range                     TBD    4.1.8.23  Grouped     |
  |ETH-Low-Priority                       TBD    4.1.8.24  Unsigned32  |
  |ETH-High-Priority                      TBD    4.1.8.25  Unsigned32  |
  |Time-Of-Day-Condition                  TBD    4.2.1     Grouped     |
  |Time-Of-Day-Start                      TBD    4.2.2     Grouped     |
  |Time-Of-Day-End                        TBD    4.2.3     Unsigned32  |
  |Day-Of-Week-Mask                       TBD    4.2.4     Unsigned32  |
  |Day-Of-Month-Mask                      TBD    4.2.5     Unsigned32  |
  |Month-Of-Year-Mask                     TBD    4.2.6     Unsigned32  |
  |Absolute-Start-Time                    TBD    4.2.7     Time        |
  |Absolute-End-Time                      TBD    4.2.8     Time        |
  |Timezone-Flag                          TBD    4.2.9     Enumerated  |
  |Timezone-Offset                        TBD    4.2.10    Integer32   |
  |Action                                 TBD    5.1       Grouped     |
  |QoS-Profile-Id                         TBD    5.2.1     Unsigned32  |
  |QoS-Profile-Template                   TBD    5.2.2     Grouped     |
  |QoS-Semantics                          TBD    5.2.3     Enumerated  |
  |QoS-Parameters                         TBD    5.2.4     OctetString |
  |Rule-Precedence                        TBD    5.2.5     Unsigned32  |
  |Excess-Treatment                       TBD    5.2.6     Grouped     |
  |Excess-Treatment-Action                TBD    5.2.7     Unsigned32  |
  |QoS-Capability                         TBD    6         Grouped     |
  +--------------------------------------------------------------------+

10.2.  QoS-Semantics IANA Registry

   IANA is also requested to allocate a registry for the QoS-Semantics
   AVP.  The following values are allocated by this specification.

               (0): QoS-Desired
               (1): QoS-Available
               (2): QoS-Reserved
               (3): Minimum-QoS
               (4): QoS-Authorized

   A specification is required to add a new value to the registry.

10.3.  Excess Treatment Action

   IANA is also requested to allocate a registry for the Excess-
   Treatment-Action AVP.  The following values are allocated by this
   specification:

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 38]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

                  (0): drop
                  (1): shape
                  (2): remark
                  (3): no metering or policing is permitted

   A specification is required to add a new value to the registry.

10.4.  Action

   IANA is also requested to allocate a registry for the Action AVP.
   The following values are allocated by this specification:

                  (0): drop
                  (1): shape
                  (2): mark

   A specification is required to add a new value to the registry.

11.  Security Considerations

   This document describes the extension of Diameter for conveying
   Quality of Service information.  The security considerations of the
   Diameter protocol itself have been discussed in RFC 3588 [RFC3588].
   Use of the AVPs defined in this document MUST take into consideration
   the security issues and requirements of the Diameter Base protocol.

12.  References

12.1.  Normative References

   [DSCP]     IANA, "Differentiated Services Field Codepoints",
               http://www.iana.org/assignments/dscp-registry.

   [ICMPTYPE]
              IANA, "ICMP Type Numbers",
               http://www.iana.org/assignments/icmp-parameters.

   [IEEE802.1D]
              IEEE, "IEEE Standard for Local and metropolitan area
              networks, Media Access Control (MAC) Bridges", 2004.

   [IEEE802.1Q]
              IEEE, "IEEE Standard for Local and metropolitan area
              networks, Virtual Bridged Local Area Networks", 2005.

   [IEEE802.1ad]

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 39]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

              IEEE, "IEEE Standard for Local and metropolitan area
              networks, Virtual Bridged Local Area Networks, Amendment
              4: Provider Bridges", 2005.

   [IEEE802.2]
              IEEE, "IEEE Standard for Information technology,
              Telecommunications and information exchange between
              systems, Local and metropolitan area networks, Specific
              requirements, Part 2: Logical Link Control", 1998.

   [IPOPTIONS]
              IANA, "IP Option Numbers",
               http://www.iana.org/assignments/ip-parameters.

   [PROTOCOL]
              IANA, "Protocol Types",
               http://www.iana.org/assignments/protocol-numbers.

   [RFC2119]  Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
              Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997.

   [TCPOPTIONS]
              IANA, "TCP Option Numbers",
               http://www.iana.org/assignments/tcp-parameters.

12.2.  Informative References

   [I-D.ietf-dime-diameter-qos]
              Sun, D., McCann, P., Tschofenig, H., Tsou, T., Doria, A.,
              and G. Zorn, "Diameter Quality of Service Application",
              draft-ietf-dime-diameter-qos-06 (work in progress),
              July 2008.

   [I-D.ietf-dime-qos-parameters]
              Korhonen, J. and H. Tschofenig, "Quality of Service
              Parameters for Usage with the AAA Framework",
              draft-ietf-dime-qos-parameters-07 (work in progress),
              November 2008.

   [RFC3290]  Bernet, Y., Blake, S., Grossman, D., and A. Smith, "An
              Informal Management Model for Diffserv Routers", RFC 3290,
              May 2002.

   [RFC3588]  Calhoun, P., Loughney, J., Guttman, E., Zorn, G., and J.
              Arkko, "Diameter Base Protocol", RFC 3588, September 2003.

   [RFC4005]  Calhoun, P., Zorn, G., Spence, D., and D. Mitton,
              "Diameter Network Access Server Application", RFC 4005,

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 40]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

              August 2005.

Authors' Addresses

   Jouni Korhonen
   Nokia Siemens Networks
   Linnoitustie 6
   Espoo  02600
   Finland

   Email: [email-masked]

   Hannes Tschofenig
   Nokia Siemens Networks
   Linnoitustie 6
   Espoo  02600
   Finland

   Phone: +358 (50) 4871445
   Email: [email-masked]
   URI:   http://www.tschofenig.priv.at

   Mayutan Arumaithurai
   University of Goettingen

   Email: [email-masked]

   Mark Jones (editor)
   Bridgewater Systems
   303 Terry Fox Drive, Suite 500
   Ottawa, Ontario  K2K 3J1
   Canada

   Phone: +1 613-591-6655
   Email: [email-masked]

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 41]

Internet-Draft         QoS Attributes for Diameter         December 2008

   Avi Lior
   Bridgewater Systems
   303 Terry Fox Drive, Suite 500
   Ottawa, Ontario  K2K 3J1
   Canada

   Phone: +1 613-591-6655
   Email: [email-masked]

Korhonen, et al.          Expires June 21, 2009                [Page 42]


_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: "Hannes Tschofenig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 10:16:33 +0200

Hi Victor, 

Thanks for the detailed review. 
A few comments inline 

4.1.2.  Classifier-ID AVP

[Victor: What does 'globally unique' mean ? Does it mean globally unique
within the context of the application ? If so, would it be better to say:
unique within app AND terminal, app AND admin domain, ...]

[hannes] This is a very good question. I have to figure out what type of
uniqueness we demand here.

[Victor: It seems everything is optional ... what happens if this is empty ?
same for To-Spec]

[hannes] If the From-Spec is empty then this is equivalent to the From-Spec
AVP not being there at all. 

[Victor: what AVPs ?]

[Victor: I must admit, I cannot understand what this section is implying :).
Is it attempting to say that a match must be From-Spec AND To-Spec if both
are present ? or some other combination ?]

[hannes] I pushed this ball to Mark to respond. 

4.1.7.14.  Port AVP

[Victor: This is the first time TCP and UDP is mentioned, all of the above
text implies a sort of protocol generality. Should it be the same here ?
i.e. I can have SCTP ports also]

[hannes] generalized it. 



     Value | Name
     ------+--------
       0   | False
       1   | True

[Victor: Are we talking the classifying entity dynamically adding the
managed terminals IP into this classifier entry ?, i.e. everytime a new
terminal sends packets then a new entry is added with a new From-Spec ? If
so, would'nt this be equivalent to a missing From-Spec for IN in the
Classifier ?]

[hannes] This is just a way to consider the case where the AAA sends some
filters but the IP address of the terminal is not yet assigned to it. 
Hence, you have to put a placeholder there. 

[Victor: Is this new sematic necessary ? The other range features does not
have this semantic. They use only start and end. If an exact match is needed
then they use start == end]

[hannes] Mayutan is going to look at this section to align the semantic with
the other classifiers

[Victor: We should mention that if most of the AVPs above are present, their
evaluation criteria or values are allowed to overlap]

[hannes] Not sure what you mean. If you specify, for example, Time-of-Day
and Month-of-Year then both need to match.
Nevertheless, Mark is going to review again the rule matching algorithm. 

[Victor: If run in parallel, what happens if both rules have successful
matches but different actions ?]

[hannes] Mark is going to look at this issue. This subject is about conflict
resolution. The precedence would ensure that this actually never happens.
Hence, you cannot give two rules the same precedence. Mark has to clarify
this issue. 

Ciao
Hannes

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
>Behalf Of Victor Fajardo
>Sent: 15 January, 2009 00:29
>To: [email-masked]; Mark Jones
>Cc: [email-masked]
>Subject: [Dime] Review of draft-ietf-dime-qos-attributes-09.txt
>
>Hi Hannes/Mark,
>
>Attached is my review of the qos-attribute draft. My comments 
>are inlined under "[Victor: ...".
>
>best regards,
>victor
>

---

From: Victor Fajardo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 21:35:11 -0500

Hi Hannes,

> and Month-of-Year then both need to match.

I see. I missed the part that where everything is a mask except for the 
X-Start-Time, X-End-Time and Timezone-Flag AVPs. Masking properties 
maybe the only thing we need to clarify.

regards,
victor

---

From: Mark Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 16:47:23 -0500

Thanks for the detailed review Victor. Comments inline...

> From: Hannes Tschofenig [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: January 17, 2009 03:17
> To: 'Victor Fajardo'; Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo); Mark Jones
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [Dime] Review of draft-ietf-dime-qos-attributes-09.txt
>
> Hi Victor,
>

[mj] We're just giving examples here but I agree that 'globally unique' is ambiguous. The application which uses the Classifier AVPs must specify the uniqueness scope. I suggest we change the examples to "unique per Managed Terminal or unique per Classifying Entity".

> AVP not being there at all.

[mj] Agreed.

>    can contain the following AVPs.

[mj] "..can contain the AVPs described in the following subsections."

> [hannes] I pushed this ball to Mark to respond.

[mj] This was a motherhood statement from the original classifier draft and I think it can be removed now. I've since (hopefully) explained the interaction of multiple From-Spec/To-Spec AVPs in sections 4.1.5 and 4.1.6.

> i.e. I can have SCTP ports also]

[mj] Good point Victor. Thanks Hannes.

>    present and set to True, it represents the IP address

[mj] Agreed. This is a very useful where address allocation happens after policy delivery.

> Hence, you cannot give two rules the same precedence. Mark

[mj] Good question. I'd assumed that the Conditions would be mutually exclusive for Rules with equal precedence so the Actions would be operating on different packets. I can state this assumption here or we can forbid rules with equal precedence. Any preferences?

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:53:58 +0100

version be ready for IESG review? 

Also pay attention to the versions number. You are discussing about
draft-09 in this thread, but the latest issued version in the repository
is 08. 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

> Behalf Of Mark Jones
> Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 11:47 PM
> To: Hannes Tschofenig; 'Victor Fajardo'; Tschofenig, Hannes 
> (NSN - FI/Espoo)
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Dime] Review of draft-ietf-dime-qos-attributes-09.txt
> 
> >    uniquely identifies the classifier.  Each application 
> will define 
> > the
> > [Victor: What does 'globally unique' mean ? Does it mean globally 
> > unique within the context of the application ? If so, would it be 
> > better to say:
> > [hannes] This is a very good question. I have to figure out 
> what type 
> > of uniqueness we demand here.
> >
> 
> [mj] We're just giving examples here but I agree that 
> 'globally unique' is ambiguous. The application which uses 
> the Classifier AVPs must specify the uniqueness scope. I 
> suggest we change the examples to "unique per Managed 
> Terminal or unique per Classifying Entity".
> 
> >
> [mj] This was a motherhood statement from the original 
> classifier draft and I think it can be removed now. I've 
> since (hopefully) explained the interaction of multiple 
> From-Spec/To-Spec AVPs in sections 4.1.5 and 4.1.6.
> 
> >
> > 4.1.7.14.  Port AVP
> >
> [mj] Good question. I'd assumed that the Conditions would be 
> mutually exclusive for Rules with equal precedence so the 
> Actions would be operating on different packets. I can state 
> this assumption here or we can forbid rules with equal 
> precedence. Any preferences?
> 
> > Ciao
> > Hannes
> >

---

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 18:10:14 +0200

>Any projection about when a new version will be available? 
>Will this version be ready for IESG review? 

We have a version ready for submission and we are going through a couple
of final reviews. The idea was that it would then be ready for IESG
review. 

>draft-09 in this thread, but the latest issued version in the 
>repository is 08. 

Hmm. I thought we submitted the -09 version. 

Ciao
Hannes

>> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf 
>> Of Mark Jones
>> To: Hannes Tschofenig; 'Victor Fajardo'; Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - 
>> FI/Espoo)
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> [mj] We're just giving examples here but I agree that 'globally 
>> unique' is ambiguous. The application which uses the Classifier AVPs 
>> must specify the uniqueness scope. I suggest we change the 
>examples to 
>> "unique per Managed Terminal or unique per Classifying Entity".
>> 
>> >
>> > [Victor: It seems everything is optional ... what happens 
>if this is 
>> > empty ?
>> > same for To-Spec]
>> >
>> > [hannes] If the From-Spec is empty then this is equivalent to the 
>> > From-Spec AVP not being there at all.
>> >
>> 
>> [mj] Agreed.
>> 
>> >

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:20:07 +0100

> From: Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo) 

> Hmm. I thought we submitted the -09 version. 

The current version in the repository is
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dime-qos-parameters-08.tx
t

Dan

---

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 13:41:46 +0200

When I tried to submit version -09 the tool told me that it expects -10.

Hence, for some reason the previously submitted -09 version did not
appear on the page even though it was announced on the list, see 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dime/current/msg03141.html

Anyway, we now have -10 online and I can see it on the webpage. 

Ciao
Hannes

>From: ext Romascanu, Dan (Dan) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>Sent: 22 January, 2009 18:20
>To: Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo); Mark Jones; Hannes 
>Tschofenig; Victor Fajardo
>Cc: [email-masked]