Subject: [Dime] DIME Charter Update

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 13:02:33 +0300

Diameter Maintenance and Extensions (dime)

Description of Working Group:

The Diameter Maintenance and Extensions WG will focus on maintenance
and extensions to the Diameter protocol required to enable its use for 
authentication, authorization, accounting and provisioning in network
access as well as for other applications environments 
(e.g., IP telephony, mobility). 

The IETF has completed work on the Diameter Base protocol and is 
working on revising the base protocol specification. There is on-going 
work on defining RADIUS extensions and the DIME WG will ensure 
that work done in RADEXT is also available for Diameter.

The DIME working group plains to address the following items:

- Maintaining and/or progressing, along the standards track, the
Diameter Base protocol and Diameter Applications. This includes 
extensions to Diameter Base protocol that can be considered as enhanced 
features or bug fixes, such NAI routing or capability update extensions.

- Diameter application design guideline. This document will provide 
guidelines for design of Diameter extensions. It will detail when to 
consider reusing an existing application and when to develop a new 
application.

- Diameter QoS extensions. This work focuses on extensions to 
Diameter to support QoS information to be authorized and provisioned 
in AAA deployments.

- Protocol extensions for the management of Diameter entities. This work

focuses on the standardization of Management Information Bases (MIBs) 
to configure Diameter entities (such as the Diameter Base protocol or 
Diameter Credit Control nodes). The usage of other management protocols
for configuring Diameter entities may be future work within the group.

- Diameter extensions for mobility protocols, such as Mobile IPv6 and 
Proxy Mobile IPv6. Diameter extensions to support handover keying 
developed in the HOKEY WG are part of this effort. 

- New Diameter applications, such as the Diameter NAT control
application.
This group will also conduct work on new Diameter applications with 
a Diameter application for configuring NATs as the first item. 

Additionally, AAA systems require interoperability in order to work. 
The working group, along with the AD, will need to evaluate 
any potential extensions and require verification that the proposed 
extension is needed. Coordination with other IETF working groups 
and other SDOs will used to ensure this.

Goals and Milestones:

Done	  	Submit 'Diameter Mobile IPv6: Support for Home Agent to
Diameter Server Interaction' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed
Standard
Done		Submit 'Diameter Mobile IPv6: Support for Network Access
Server to Diameter Server Interaction' to the IESG for consideration as
a Proposed Standard
Done	  	Submit 'Diameter API' to the IESG for consideration as
an Informational RFC 
Done	  	Submit 'Quality of Service Parameters for Usage with
Diameter' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard. 
Nov 2009	  	Submit 'Revision of Diameter Base Protocol' to
the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard 
Done	  	Submit 'Diameter QoS Application' to the IESG for
consideration as a Proposed Standard 
Done	  	Submit 'Diameter Support for EAP Re-authentication
Protocol' as DIME working group item 
Done	  	Submit 'Diameter User-Name and Realm Based Request
Routing Clarifications' as DIME working group item 
Done	  	Submit 'Diameter Proxy Mobile IPv6' as DIME working
group item 
Done	  	Submit 'Quality of Service Attributes for Diameter' to
the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard 
Aug 2009	  	Submit 'Diameter Application Design Guidelines'
to the IESG for consideration as a BCP document 
Done	  	Submit 'Diameter Proxy Mobile IPv6' to the IESG for
consideration as a Proposed Standard 
Done	  	Submit 'Diameter User-Name and Realm Based Request
Routing Clarifications' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed
Standard 
Jan 2010	  	Submit 'Diameter Support for EAP
Re-authentication Protocol' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed
Standard 
Jun 2009		Submit new DIME charter to the IESG
Jun 2009		Submit 'Updated IANA Considerations for Diameter
Command Code Allocations' as DIME working group item
Jul 2009		Submit 'Updated IANA Considerations for Diameter
Command Code Allocations' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed
Standard
Jul 2009		Submit 'Diameter NAT Control Application' as
DIME working group item
Jul 2009		Submit 'Diameter Capabilities Update' as DIME
working group item
Nov 2009		Submit ' Diameter Credit Control Application
MIB' to the IESG for consideration as an Informational RFC
Nov 2009		Submit 'Diameter Base Protocol MIB' to the IESG
for consideration as an Informational RFC
Nov 2009		Submit 'Diameter Capabilities Update' to the
IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard
Jan 2010		Submit 'Diameter NAT Control Application' to the
IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard

---

From: jouni korhonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 10:00:34 +0300

Hi,

Some comments/questions on the proposed charter.

> (e.g., IP telephony, mobility).

What does the provisioning here involve? We had a short discussion in  
SFO about the "desire" of using Diameter for other purposes than just  
auth, authz and acct, mainly because Diameter would make another nice  
general purpose transport protocol for a lot of things. I was  
wondering whether we want to be more strict about the scope of  
extension where diameter is to be used?

> that work done in RADEXT is also available for Diameter.

[snip]

> and other SDOs will used to ensure this.

Regarding the additional work, should we explicitly mention that we  
could take in new work based on the deployment experiences and needs  
that we hear from the field? We cannot obviously envision all possible  
needs in the current charter items so this kind of limited wildcard  
could be useful.. or can this kind of new work be easily added to the  
charter without full rechartering process?

> Goals and Milestones:

[snip]

Should we add draft-korhonen-dime-mip6-feature-bits-00.txt to charter  
(that contains the extracted parts from mip6-split I-D due identified  
IPRs). Even if this draft is trivial and will be informational, having  
it as a WG item would be nice.. or?

Cheers,
	JOuni

>
>
> _______________________________________________
> DiME mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 14:09:27 +0700

jouni korhonen [mailto://[email-masked]] writes:

...

> > that work done in RADEXT is also available for Diameter.

The mandating of forward as well as backward compatibility with RADIUS is an
_extremely_ bad idea, IMHO.  It may be harmless currently, since the
probability of useful extensions to RADIUS being produced by the RADIUS
Extensions WG appears to be close to zero, but it sets a bad precedent.

...

> it as a WG item would be nice.. or?

Given the history of the IETF, it would be nice only if you really want to
slow the progress of the draft; otherwise, if it really is both trivial &
informational, why not submit it directly to the RFC Editor & be done w/it?

...

---

From: jouni korhonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 12:21:46 +0300

> Extensions WG appears to be close to zero, but it sets a bad  

Seems that I forgot to add my comments after quoting text in my  
reply ;) Anyway, Glen put my thoughts nicely here. I more or less  
share the same concern Glen has.

Cheers,
	Jouni