Subject: [Dime] draft-ietf-dime-diameter-api in AD-Follow-Up

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 18:27:26 +0200

The IESG did not approve in the telechat today
draft-ietf-dime-diameter-api. 

There are several DISCUSSes on this I-D, but the most fundamental
question was asked by Pasi Eronen. Pasi questions whether the
publication of this document is useful at all, and suggests publication
as Historic or no publication as possible options. 

Pasi writes: 

> The writeup mentions there being two implementations, but apparently
both of them are prototype code from around 2001 that have been
abandoned >5 years ago. OpenDiameter (an open source Diameter
implementation by the main author of this draft) does not use this API,
and to me it looks very unlikely that anyone would ever implement this
(and it's questionable whether anyone should even attempt).

I would like to get feedback from the authors and the WG. Is the
document useful? If yes, for what? Who will use it? Do today's
implementations and deployments follow the API that this document
describes?

Dan

---

From: Sebastien Decugis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:33:57 +0900

Hello,

> implementations and deployments follow the API that this document
As far as I am concerned, I don't follow this API in my implementation.
I studied the API when I started this work and came to the conclusion
that it is not appropriate for general-purpose implementations (not easy
to implement agents functions for example). Anyway, people with
different requirements might find it useful for other situations. I
personally believe that this API can only be used for "simple"
client-sides of applications, but I may be mistaken.

Best regards,
Sebastien.

-- 
Sebastien Decugis
Research fellow
Network Architecture Group
NICT (nict.go.jp)

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 11:17:50 +0200

Thank you, Sebastien. 

Other opinions? 

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sebastien Decugis [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:34 AM
> To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Dime] draft-ietf-dime-diameter-api in AD-Follow-Up
> 
> Hello,
> 
> I studied the API when I started this work and came to the 
> conclusion that it is not appropriate for general-purpose 
> implementations (not easy to implement agents functions for 
> example). Anyway, people with different requirements might 
> find it useful for other situations. I personally believe 
> that this API can only be used for "simple"

---

From: David Frascone <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 08:23:55 -0400

The API was derived from the Sun implementation of a diameter stack.
They had released the stack for applications developers to write
applications, using the API.  So, while there may be compilation
errors in the draft -- the API does (or did) exist, and was
functional.  However, I do not think the Sun implementation has been
kept up to date.  I can not find it, even on their research site.

So, as a biased author :) , I do still think there is some benefit in
the API.  I think it is an example of how a diameter application can
be implemented, even with a closed-source stack.  Since it is C, it is
lightweight, and could probably be used on embedded devices.

But, since it seems that the only working implementation is no longer
available, I would certainly understand it if the WG decides not to
pursue the API further.

Just my $.02 worth,

-Dave

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 5:17 AM, Romascanu, Dan (Dan)<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> DiME mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime
>