Subject: [Dime] draft-ietf-dime-rfc3588bis-26: circular definition?

From: "Igoe, Kevin M." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 09:22:58 -0400

In draft-ietf-dime-rfc3588bis-26 we find the following pair of

definitions:

   Diameter Peer

      If a Diameter Node shares a direct transport connection with

      another Diameter Node, it is a Diameter Peer to that Diameter

      Node.

  Transport Connection
 
      A transport connection is a TCP or SCTP connection existing
      directly between two Diameter peers, otherwise known as a Peer-to-
      Peer Connection.

This strikes me as being a wee bit circular. "Diameter Peer" is defined 

in terms of "transport connection" and "Transport Connection" is defined

in terms of Diameter peer. 

 

Kevin M. Igoe   |   "Everyone is entitled to their own
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>   |    opinions, but not to their
own facts."
                |       - Daniel Patrick Moynihan -

---

From: Glen Zorn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 09:03:04 +0700

On 5/27/2011 8:22 PM, Igoe, Kevin M. wrote:

> This strikes me as being a wee bit circular. “Diameter Peer” is defined
> 
> in terms of “transport connection” and “Transport Connection” is defined
> 

Could be better, I guess.  Any suggestions?

...