Subject: [Dime] Bulk Session Signaling in Diameter

From: Mark Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 14:29:21 -0400

In the last few IETF meetings, we've discussed ways of expressing groups of
sessions and reviewed how some SDOs, e.g. TISPAN, have already tackled this.
Marco Liebsch presented a good summary of this problem and current solutions
in Quebec.

I would like to submit an I-D that specifies a solution for this problem. I
circulated an abstract (offline) and here is the resulting version:

"In large network deployments, a single Diameter peer can support over a
million concurrent Diameter sessions. Recent use cases have revealed the
need for Diameter peers to apply the same operation to a large group of
Diameter sessions concurrently. The Diameter base protocol commands operate
on a single session so these use cases could result in many thousands of
command exchanges in order to enforce the same operation on each session in
the group. In order to reduce signaling, it would be desirable to
enable bulk operations on all (or part of) the sessions managed by a
Diameter peer using a single or a few command exchanges. This document
specifies the Diameter protocol extensions to achieve this signaling
optimization."

I understand that this work is not within the scope of the current DIME
charter and so propose the charter be amended to include the following
clause:

" - Protocol extensions to optimize signaling when a Diameter peer needs
to apply the same operation to large groups of sessions."

Does the WG think this is a useful work item? Are there objections to
amending the charter to include it?

Thanks
Mark