Subject: [Dime] Protocol Action: 'Diameter S-NAPTR Usage' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dime-extended-naptr-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 14:20:02 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Diameter S-NAPTR Usage'
  (draft-ietf-dime-extended-naptr-09.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Diameter Maintenance and Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and Ron Bonica.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dime-extended-naptr/

Technical Summary

   The Diameter base protocol specifies mechanisms whereby a given realm
   may advertise Diameter nodes and the supported transport protocol.
   However, these mechanisms do not reveal the Diameter applications
   that each node supports.  A peer outside the realm would have to
   perform a Diameter capability exchange with every node until it
   discovers one that supports the required application.  This document
   updates [RFC3588] and describes an improvement using an extended
   format for the Straightforward-NAPTR (S-NAPTR) Application Service
   Tag that allows for discovery of the supported applications without
   doing Diameter capability exchange beforehand.

Working Group Summary

   Since the WG consists of a few individuals, it is difficult to assess how
   solid is the WG consensus. However, the document was taken as WG item 
   with a strong consensus on its usefulness, and received good contributions 
   afterwards.

Document Quality

   There is currently no publicly announced implementations of this 
   mechanism, but there is known on-going implementation effort.
   S-NAPTR and Diameter are implemented protocols. 

Personnel

   Sebastien Decugis is the Document Shepherd for this document. Dan
   Romascanu is the Responsible Area Director.'