Subject: [Dime] About rechartering

From: jouni korhonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 02:00:18 +0200

Folks,

In last IETF we had discussion about adding new work to our charter and widening the scope a bit. One particular item was the bulk/group signaling. We are going to have a discussion in this specific topic and rechartering during the Dime WG meeting next week. For a basis for the discussion I have included a new charter proposal *draft*. Feel free to comment it (and we will anyway continue in Taipei the discussion.) There is no milestones included yet.. as we better first discuss the charter content and the newly added proposal for work. While we are doing tweaks to the charter it is a good place to do some cleanup as well.

Any comments on the first stab for the new charter? Note that all milestone are still missing as they will come once other stuff has been discussed. However, I currently think (a subject to change) one or max two documents are needed to fulfill the bulk/group handling of sessions. 

- Jouni & Lionel

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description of Working Group:

 The Diameter Maintenance and Extensions WG will focus on maintenance
 and extensions to the Diameter protocol required to enable its use for
 authentication, authorization, accounting and provisioning in network
 access as well as for other applications environments
 (e.g., IP telephony, mobility).

 The DIME working group plains to address the following items:

 - Maintaining and/or progressing, along the standards track, the
 Diameter Base protocol and Diameter Applications. This includes
 extensions to Diameter Base protocol that can be considered as enhanced
 features or bug fixes.

 - Diameter application design guideline. This document will provide
 guidelines for design of Diameter extensions. It will detail when to
 consider reusing an existing application and when to develop a new
 application.

 - Protocol extensions for the management of Diameter entities. This work
 focuses on the standardization of Management Information Bases (MIBs)
 to configure Diameter entities (such as the Diameter Base protocol or
 Diameter Credit Control nodes). The usage of other management protocols
 for configuring Diameter entities may be future work within the group.

 - Protocol extension for a bulk and group signaling. The aim of this
 works is to study and standardize a solution for handling a group of
 sessions within the Diameter base protocol context. The solution would
 define how to identify and handle grouped sessions as a one combined
 entity for commands and operations.

 Additionally, AAA systems require interoperability in order to work.
 The working group, along with the AD, will need to evaluate
 any potential extensions and require verification that the proposed
 extension is needed. Coordination with other IETF working groups
 and other SDOs will used to ensure this.