Subject: Re: [Dime] diameter overload control requirements review

From: Eric McMurry <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 15:43:58 -0500

Based on discussion in the dime meeting today, I think I understand the disconnect now.  Here's another stab at clear language for this  (I'll get there eventually :-)

	the network operators may not
         want the interconnect network to use overload or loading information.
         They may only want the information to pass through the interconnect
         network without further processing or action by the interconnect
         network even if the elements in the interconnect network do support
         diameter overload control.

How does that work?

Thanks,

Eric

On Oct 30, 2012, at 19:19 , Eric McMurry <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Thanks Janet.  comments inline.
> 
> On Oct 30, 2012, at 16:31 , Janet P Gunn <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> My further comments in line 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> In 
>> “…the network operators may not want the 
>>   interconnect to use overload or loading information intended to pass 
>>   through the interconnect even if the elements in the interconnect 
>>   network do support diameter overload control.” 
>> Should that be “not intended to pass”? 
>> 
>> how about: 
>> 
>> the network operators may not 
>>          want the interconnect to use overload or loading information intended 
>>          to to be conveyed to elements outside of the interconnect network, 
>>          even if the elements in the interconnect network do support diameter 
>>          overload control 
>> 
>> is that more clear? 
>> 
>> <JPG>  I don't think that helps  It still seems contradictory -  "may not want ... to use ...information  intended to be conveyed to elements outside..." 
>> It seems that "information  intended to be conveyed to elements outside ..." is EXACTLY  (and only) what you DO  WANT the interconnect to use. 
> 
> <em> well, information, and overload or loading information are not the same thing.  Taking the qualifiers off changes the meaning.  Even so, the text is apparently still not working.  How about:
> 
> 
> the network operators may not 
>          want the interconnect to use or act on overload or loading information intended 
>          for consumption by elements outside of the interconnect network, 
>          even if the elements in the interconnect network do support diameter 
>          overload control 

...

---

From: Janet P Gunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 08:57:16 -0500

Yes.  Now I understand it.

Thanks

Janet

This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please 
delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in 
delivery. NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to 
bind CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit 
written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of 
e-mail for such purpose.

From:   Eric McMurry <[email-masked]>
To:     Janet P Gunn/USA/CSC@CSC
Cc:     [email-masked], Ben Allen Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date:   11/05/2012 03:44 PM
Subject:        Re: [Dime] diameter overload control requirements review

Based on discussion in the dime meeting today, I think I understand the 
disconnect now.  Here's another stab at clear language for this  (I'll get 
there eventually :-)

the network operators may not
         want the interconnect network to use overload or loading 
information.
         They may only want the information to pass through the 
interconnect
         network without further processing or action by the interconnect
         network even if the elements in the interconnect network do 
support
         diameter overload control.

How does that work?

Thanks,

Eric

In 

how about: 

the network operators may not 
         want the interconnect to use overload or loading information 
intended 
         to to be conveyed to elements outside of the interconnect 
network, 
         even if the elements in the interconnect network do support 
diameter 
         overload control 

is that more clear? 

<JPG>  I don't think that helps  It still seems contradictory -  "may not 
want ... to use ...information  intended to be conveyed to elements 
outside..." 
It seems that "information  intended to be conveyed to elements outside 
..." is EXACTLY  (and only) what you DO  WANT the interconnect to use. 

<em> well, information, and overload or loading information are not the 
same thing.  Taking the qualifiers off changes the meaning.  Even so, the 
text is apparently still not working.  How about:

the network operators may not 
         want the interconnect to use or act on overload or loading 
information intended 
         for consumption by elements outside of the interconnect network, 
         even if the elements in the interconnect network do support 
diameter 
         overload control 

...