Subject: [Dime] CER from already connected peer

From: Ivan Skytte Jørgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 09:49:47 +0100

If a peer receives a CER with an Origin-Host for which the peer already 
have a transport connection what should happen?

I initially thought that the election process should take place but then I 
realised that if it is due to a misconfiguration and it is actually two 
different peers that has errournously been configured with the same Host-
Identity then doing an election would cause the first transport connection 
to be closed,  and cause a flip-flp effect:

Peer A connects, transport connection 1 is established.
Peer B connections, presents the same Origin-Host in CER, causes transport 
connection 1 to be closed. Transport connection 2 established.
Peer A connections, presents the same Origin-Host in CER, causes transport 
connection 2 to be closed. Transport connection 3 established.
Peer B connections, presents the same Origin-Host in CER, causes transport 
connection 3 to be closed. Transport connection 4 established.
...
ad nauseam

Neither RFC3588 nor RFC6733 is clear about this error configuration; they 
are most concerned when two peers simultaneously connect to eachother.

Currently I keep the existing transport connection. If it is in fact the 
same peer and not two misconfigured peers then the old transport connection 
will presumably be closed eventually due to DW failures, and a new 
transport connection will be accepted. Does anyone see a flow in this?

Regards,
  Ivan