Subject: [Dime] overload control requirement 7 on stability

From: Eric McMurry <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 13:38:34 -0600

Req 7 reads:  The overload control mechanism and any associated default
            algorithm(s) MUST ensure that the system remains stable.
            When the offered load drops from above the overall capacity
            of the network to below the overall capacity, the throughput
            MUST stabilize and become equal to the offered load.  Note
            that this also requires that the mechanism MUST allow nodes
            to shed load without introducing oscillations.

It has been pointed out that the latter part of this implies requirements directly on nodes implementing the mechanism, instead of on the mechanism itself.  How does this alternate sound:

   The overload control mechanism and any associated default
            algorithm(s) MUST ensure that the system remains stable.
            When the offered load drops from above the overall capacity
            of the network to below the overall capacity, the mechanism
            MUST enable throughput to stabilize and become
            equal to the offered load.  Note
            that this also requires that the mechanism MUST allow nodes
            to shed load without introducing oscillations.

Thanks,

Eric

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 13:43:49 -0600

>            to shed load without introducing oscillations.

WFM.

---

From: Andrew Booth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 14:52:05 -0500

Works for me.

Thanks,
Andrew

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Eric McMurry <[email-masked]> wrote:

> It has been pointed out that the latter part of this implies requirements
> directly on nodes implementing the mechanism, instead of on the mechanism
> itself.  How does this alternate sound:
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> DiME mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime
>

---

From: Eric McMurry <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 14:57:43 -0600

On Feb 20, 2013, at 13:52 , Andrew Booth <[email-masked]> wrote:
There has been some additional comment on this with concern that specifying offered load and overall capacity here may be to restricting on the mechanism design.

How does this wording work for everyone:

The overload control mechanism and any associated default
           algorithm(s) MUST ensure that the system remains stable.
           At some point after an overload condition has ended, the mechanism
           MUST enable capacity to stabilize and become
           equal to what it would be in the absence of an overload condition.  Note
           that this also requires that the mechanism MUST allow nodes
           to shed load without introducing oscillations during or after an overload condition.

thanks!

Eric

---

From: Jouni Korhonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 00:14:46 +0200

<as an individual>

I would still argue that "..the mechanism MUST enable throughput.."
could use some rewording. The load in the network might not be about
'throughput' as in bps but for example about transactions.

- Jouni