Subject: [Dime] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dime-overload-reqs-10.txt> (Diameter Overload Control Requirements) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 03:13:38 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Diameter Maintenance and
Extensions WG (dime) to consider the following document:
- 'Diameter Overload Control Requirements'
  <draft-ietf-dime-overload-reqs-10.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-08-16. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   When a Diameter server or agent becomes overloaded, it needs to be
   able to gracefully reduce its load, typically by informing clients to
   reduce sending traffic for some period of time.  Otherwise, it must
   continue to expend resources parsing and responding to Diameter
   messages, possibly resulting in congestion collapse.  The existing
   Diameter mechanisms, listed in Section 4 are not sufficient for this
   purpose.  This document describes the limitations of the existing
   mechanisms in Section 5.  Requirements for new overload management
   mechanisms are provided in Section 7.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dime-overload-reqs/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dime-overload-reqs/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.