Subject: [Dime] Protocol Action: 'Realm-Based Redirection In Diameter' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dime-realm-based-redirect-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 14:19:08 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Realm-Based Redirection In Diameter'
  (draft-ietf-dime-realm-based-redirect-13.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Diameter Maintenance and Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dime-realm-based-redirect/

Technical Summary

  The Diameter protocol allows a Diameter redirect agent to return to
  the message sender one or more individual hosts as destinations of
  the redirected message.  However, in some circumstances an operator
  may wish to redirect messages to an alternate domain without
  specifying individual hosts.  This document specifies a mechanism by
  which this can be achieved.  New applications may incorporate this
  capability by reference to the present document.

  This memo updates Sections 6.13 and 6.14 of RFC6733 with respect to
  the usage of the Redirect-Host-Usage and Redirect-Max-Cache-Time
  AVPs.

Working Group Summary

  The working group reached a consensus on the document. There are existing
  Service requirements for such a mechanism and the document is the result
  of the discussion between Diameter experts. The document has been reviewed
  several times, with no major issues raised as soon as the document was
  stable.

Document Quality

  The proposed mechanism is a slight modification of the existing mechanism
  defined in the Diameter base protocol (RFC 6733). The technical content of
  this document relies then tightly to the existing standard specification.
  The problem statement has been discussed between experts inside a design
  team discussing Diameter enhancements and the resulting document is aligned
  with the output of this discussion. Several reviews of the document have
  been performed and the last version captures the technical agreement
  reached inside the Dime WG.

Personnel

   Lionel MORAND is the document shepherd.
   The responsible area director is Benoit Claise.
   The IANA Expert(s) for the registries in this document are Lionel Morand 
   (primary) and Jouni Korhonen (secondary).