Subject: [Dime] Document Action: 'Diameter Overload Control Requirements' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-dime-overload-reqs-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 06:27:53 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Diameter Overload Control Requirements'
  (draft-ietf-dime-overload-reqs-13.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Diameter Maintenance and Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dime-overload-reqs/

Technical Summary

   The document sets normative requirements for Diameter overload control
   solutions. The existing Diameter mechanisms for an overload control are
   not sufficient for a practical solution. The document also goes into
   lengths explaining why Diameter overload control functionality is needed
   and describes the limitations of the existing mechanisms in the Diameter
   Base Protocol.

Working Group Summary

   The working group reached a consensus on the document. The discussion
   was extensive. Since this document is a requirements document, possible
   technical solution space issues are left for future documents and
   discussions.

   There is an obvious decision point ahead that got quite a bit of attention,
   which relates to the dissemination of the overload control information:
   whether an explicit overload application is needed for proper end-to-end
   signaling semantics or whether everything is piggybacked on top of existing
   signaling between adjacent peers in hop-by-hop fashion. However, this is
   for the solution space and the requirements document currently allows both
   approaches.

Document Quality

   The document has greater industry interest behind, specifically from the
   cellular industry. Since the document is a requirement document there are
   no standardised solutions available yet due to the absence of the protocol
   specification. There is definitive interest from both operators and vendors
   to have a standard solution for Diameter overload control.

   The requirements document has been extensively reviewed by the 3GPP CT4
   working group, which is the main AAA protocol group in 3GPP.

Personnel

   Jouni Korhonen is the document shepherd. 
   The responsible area director is Benoit Claise.
   No IANA experts required.