Subject: [Dime] endpoint determination

From: "Wiehe, Ulrich (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 12:21:49 +0000

Hi,

draft-ietf-dime-ovli-00 in Clause 5.1 says:

How the endpoints are determined is specific to a deployment, a Diameter node role in that deployment and local configuration.

In order to better address REQ  6 of RFC 7068 I would like to propose some principles that should be taken into account:

1. A client that supports the Diameter Overload Control Mechanism must (offer to) take the role of a reacting endpoint and hence includes the OC-Feature-Vector AVP when sending requests.
2. An Agent that - based on local configuration - takes the role of a reporting endpoint (towards the downstream reacting endpoint) must also (offer to) take the role of a reacting endpoint towards the server and hence replace the received OC-Feature-Vector AVP with its own OC-Featur-Vector AVP.
3. An agent that supports the Diameter Overload Control Mechanism and that - based on absence of local configuration - does not take the role of a reporting endpoint must be able to detect whether a downstream agent or client  already takes the role of the reacting endpoint (e.g. by checking the presence of an OC-Feature-Vector AVP in the received request). If it detects that no downstream node took the role of the reacting  endpoint, the agent must take the role of the reacting endpoint and hence insert an OC-Feature AVP to the request. I.e. determination of the reporting endpoint is done dynamically and does not rely on local configuration.

Comments are welcome.

Ulrich

---

From: Jouni Korhonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 14:24:16 +0200

Just a generic note.. If and when you do more detailed reading, please use to latest online working copy:
https://github.com/jounikor/draft-docdt-dime-ovli/blob/master/draft-ietf-dime-ovli-01.txt

- Jouni

On Nov 28, 2013, at 2:21 PM, "Wiehe, Ulrich (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> DiME mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime