Subject: [Dime] Protocol Action: 'Diameter Network Access Server Application' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dime-rfc4005bis-14.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 09:28:10 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Diameter Network Access Server Application'
  (draft-ietf-dime-rfc4005bis-14.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Diameter Maintenance and Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dime-rfc4005bis/

Technical Summary

    This document obsoletes RFC 4005 and is not backward compatible with
    that document. The main change compared to the RFC 4005 is the removal
    of all of the material related to RADIUS/Diameter protocol interactions,
    which was underspecified and misleading. Moreover, the Command Code Format
    (CCF) for the Accounting-Request and Accounting-Answer messages has been
    changed to explicitly require the inclusion of the Acct-Application-Id AVP and
    exclude the Vendor-Specific-Application-Id AVP. The accounting model to be
    used with this application is also specified.

Working Group Summary

   The document spent almost two years as WG document and the
   proposed changes from RFC 4005 were straightforward and roughly
   endorsed by the Working Group. There was no controversy on its
   final content.

Document Quality

   A number of vendors have indicated interest on implementing
  the specification due it correcting several known flaws.
  There has been no MIB Doctor or Media Type reviews as those
  were not seen relevant for the bis version of the specification.
  There has not been explicitly requested expert reviews outside
  the WG as we believe most if not all important technical experts
  are already represented in the WG and its mailing list. The
  document has received multiple reviews while in WGLC.

Personnel

 Lionel Morand ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd, as Dime WG co-chair. 
 Benoit Claise ([email-masked]) is the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

  Please add RFC 4005 as an informative reference