Subject: Re: [Dime] [dime] #45 (draft-docdt-dime-ovli): Why is a validity duration of 0 disallowed?

From: "dime issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 12:58:44 -0000

#45: Why is a validity duration of 0 disallowed?

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 Section 4.5, Paragraph 1:

 First sentence - change "since" to "after". (Editorial change)

 Change:

 Validity duration values 0
    (i.e., 0 seconds) and above 86400 (i.e., 24 hours) MUST NOT be used.
    Invalid validity duration values are treated as if the OC-Validity-
    Duration AVP were not present.

 To:

 Validity duration with values above 86400 (i.e.; 24 hours) MUST NOT be
 used.  Invalid duration values are treated as if the OC-Validity-Duration
 AVP were not present and result in the default value being used.

 Paragraph 3:

 Replace:

 This leaves no need for the
    reacting node to reason or guess the overload condition of the
    reporting node.

 With:

 This is achieved by sending an updated overload report (meaning it must
 contain a new sequence number) with the OC-Validity-Duration AVP value set
 to zero ("0").

 Section 5.5.2, Paragraph 7

 Change:

    value == 0
       Indicates explicitly the end of overload condition and the
       reacting node SHOULD NOT apply the traffic abatement algorithm
       procedures anymore for the given reporting node (or realm).

 To:
     value == 0

           Indicates that no traffic reduction has been requested.   As a
 result the overload state, including the sequence number, MUST NOT be
 removed and future overload reports of the same type from the same
 reporting node must follow the rules for new sequence numbers.

 New paragraphs at end of the section:

 A value of zero ("0") received in the OC-Validity-Duration in an updated
 overload report indicates that the overload condition has ended and that
 the overload state is no longer valid.

 In the case that the validity duration expires or is explicitly signaled
 as being no longer valid the state associated with the overload report
 MUST be removed and any abatement associated with the overload report MUST
 be ended.  After removing the overload state the sequence number MUST NOT
 be used for future comparisons of sequence numbers.

 Section 5.5.3, New paragraph at the end:

 The reporting node SHOULD indicate the end of an overload occurrence by
 sending a new OLR with OC-Validity-Duration set to a value of zero ("0").
 The reporting node SHOULD insure that all reacting nodes receive the
 updated overload report.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |       Owner:  draft-docdt-dime-
  [email-masked]        |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect       |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  minor        |   Milestone:
Component:  draft-       |     Version:  1.0
  docdt-dime-ovli        |  Resolution:  fixed
 Severity:  Active WG    |
  Document               |
 Keywords:               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/dime/trac/ticket/45#comment:1>
dime <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/dime/>