Subject: [Dime] DOIC #49

From: Steve Donovan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 12:08:21 +0200

I propose that we can close issue #49 based on existing text.

Here's the wording from issue #49:

----

The capabilities announcement mechanism needs serious rethought. 
Specifically, the lifetime of the state associated with a capabilities 
announcement is unclear. It does not make sense to tie that lifetime to 
Diameter session lifetimes, unless we expect to have different 
capability sets for different sessions. (and it doesn't help at all for 
non-session applications or pseudo-sessions.)

I think we either need to mandate that the capabilities are stateless, 
that is, must be included in every request, and any OLR in a response 
must match the OC-Supported-Features from the corresponding request. 
Otherwise, we need a way to activate and deactivate the set associated 
with a capabilities set.

(This is a side effect of allowing DOIC to cross non-supporting agents. 
If we didn't allow that, we could make DOIC support and capabilites 
negotiation happen as part of the CAR exchange. )

----

I believe the existing text is pretty clear now (and was in -02) that 
the lifetime of the capability announcement is a single transaction.

Does anyone object to closing this issue?

Steve

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 09:23:30 -0500

I agree we should close it. 

On Jul 18, 2014, at 5:08 AM, Steve Donovan <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The capabilities announcement mechanism needs serious rethought. Specifically, the lifetime of the state associated with a capabilities announcement is unclear. It does not make sense to tie that lifetime to Diameter session lifetimes, unless we expect to have different capability sets for different sessions. (and it doesn't help at all for non-session applications or pseudo-sessions.)
> 
> I think we either need to mandate that the capabilities are stateless, that is, must be included in every request, and any OLR in a response must match the OC-Supported-Features from the corresponding request. Otherwise, we need a way to activate and deactivate the set associated with a capabilities set.
> 
> (This is a side effect of allowing DOIC to cross non-supporting agents. If we didn't allow that, we could make DOIC support and capabilites negotiation happen as part of the CAR exchange. )
> 
> ----
> 
> I believe the existing text is pretty clear now (and was in -02) that the lifetime of the capability announcement is a single transaction.  
> 
> _______________________________________________
> DiME mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: Jouni Korhonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 18:11:36 +0300

We should close this as fixed.

- Jouni