Subject: [Dime] Proposed resolution to issue 75 (terminology)

From: Steve Donovan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:33:52 +0200

I have updated the document with the proposals made in issue 75.  I also 
added definitions for host-routed and realm-routed requests.

The updated text is below.

I will wait to close the issue until tomorrow to give time for comments.

I have attached the diff file.

Regards,

Steve

----

    Abatement

       Reaction to receipt of an overload report resulting in a reduction
       in traffic sent to the reporting node.  Abatement actions include
       diversion and throttling.

    Abatement Algorithm

       An algorithm requested by reporting nodes and used by reacting
       nodes to reduce the amount of traffic sent during an occurrence of
       overload control.

    Diversion

       Abatement of traffic sent to a reporting node by a reacting node
       in response to receipt of an overload report.  The abatement is
       achieved by diverting traffic from the reporting node to another
       Diameter node that is able to process the request.

    Host-Routed Request

       The set of requests that a reacting node knows will be served by a
       particular host, either due to the presence of a Destination-Host
       AVP, or by some other local knowledge on the part of the reacting
       node.

    Overload Control State (OCS)

       State describing an occurrence of overload control maintained by
       reporting and reacting nodes.

    Overload Report (OLR)

       A set of AVPs sent by a reporting node indicating the start or
       continuation of an occurrence of overload control.

    Reacting Node

       A Diameter node that consumes and acts upon a report.

    Realm-Routed Request

       The set of requests that a reacting node does not know the host
       that will service the request.

    Reporting Node

       A Diameter node that generates an overload report.  (This may or
       may not be the overloaded node.)

    Throttling

       Throttling is the reduction of the number of requests sent to an
       entity.  Throttling can include a client dropping requests, or an
       agent rejecting requests with appropriate error responses.  In
       extreme cases servers can also throttle requests when requested
       reductions in traffic does not sufficiently address the overload
       scenario.