Subject: Re: [Dime] [dime] #43 (draft-ietf-dime-ovli): Overstated guidance on session-ending requests.

From: "dime issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 07:42:16 -0000

#43: Overstated guidance on session-ending requests.

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 Changes as suggested by Ben:

 Independent Request Section:

 Old:

     Independent requests can be given equal treatment when making
 throttling decisions.

 New:

     Independent requests can generally be given equal treatment when
 making throttling decisions, unless otherwise indicated by application
 requirements or local policy.

 Session-Initiating Requests:

 Old:

     Session-initiating requests represent more work than independent or
 intra-session requests.  Moreover, session-initiating requests are
 typically followed by other session-related requests.  As such, as the
 main objective of the overload control is to reduce the total number of
 requests sent to the overloaded entity, throttling decisions might favor
 allowing intra-session requests over session-initiating requests.
 Individual session-initiating requests can be given equal treatment when
 making throttling decisions.

 New:

     Session-initiating requests often represent more work than independent
 or intra-session requests.  Moreover, session-initiating requests are
 typically followed by other session-related requests.  Since the main
 objective of the overload control is to reduce the total number of
 requests sent to the overloaded entity, throttling decisions might favor
 allowing intra-session requests over session-initiating requests.  In the
 absence of local policies or application specific requirements to the
 contrary, Individual session-initiating requests can be given equal
 treatment when making throttling decisions.

 Correlated Session-Initiationg Requests and Pseudo-session requests
 sections:

     [Existing text is fine as is]

 Intra-Session Requests:

 Old:

     There are two classes of intra-sessions requests.  The first class
 consists of requests that terminate a session.  The second one contains
 the set of requests that are used by the Diameter client and server to
 maintain the ongoing session state.  Session terminating requests should
 be throttled less aggressively in order to gracefully terminate sessions,
 allow clean-up of the related resources (e.g. session state) and get rid
 of the need for other intra-session requests, reducing the session
 management impact on the overloaded entity.  The default handling of other
 intra-session requests might be to treat them equally when making
 throttling decisions.  There might also be application level
 considerations whether some request types are favored over others.

 New:

     There are two classes of intra-sessions requests.  The first class
 consists of requests that terminate a session.  The second class comprises
 requests that are used by the Diameter client and server to maintain the
 ongoing session state.  Implementors and operators may choose to throttle
 session-terminating requests less aggressively in order to gracefully
 terminate sessions, allow clean-up of the related resources (e.g. session
 state) and avoid the need for additional intra-session requests. Favoring
 session-termination requests may reduce the session management impact on
 the overloaded entity.  The default handling of other intra-session
 requests might be to treat them equally when making throttling decisions.
 There might also be application level considerations whether some request
 types are favored over others.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |       Owner:  draft-ietf-dime-
  [email-masked]        |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect       |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  minor        |   Milestone:
Component:  draft-ietf-  |     Version:  1.0
  dime-ovli              |  Resolution:  fixed
 Severity:  Active WG    |
  Document               |
 Keywords:               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/dime/trac/ticket/43#comment:2>
dime <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/dime/>