Subject: [Dime] [dime] #75 (draft-ietf-dime-ovli): Proposed changes to Terminology section

From: "dime issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 20:46:25 -0000

#75: Proposed changes to Terminology section

 Propose to add a few and change a few definitions in the terminology
 section.

 Proposed text (current text follows):

    Abatement

       Reaction to receipt of an overload report resulting in a reduction
       in traffic sent to the reporting node.  Abatement actions include
       diversion and throttling.

    Abatement Algorithm

       An algorithm requested by reporting nodes and used by reacting
       nodes to reduce the amount of traffic sent during an occurrence of
       overload control.

    Diversion

       Abatement of traffic sent to a reporting node by a reacting node in
 response to receipt of an overload report.  The abatement is achieved by
 diverting traffic from the reporting node to another Diameter node that is
 able to process the request.

    Throttling

       Throttling is the reduction of the number of requests sent to an
       entity.  Throttling can include a client dropping requests, or an
       agent rejecting requests with appropriate error responses.  In
 extreme cases servers can also throttle requests when requested reductions
 in traffic does not sufficiently address the overload scenario.

    Reporting Node

       A Diameter node that generates an overload report.  (This may or
       may not be the overloaded node.)

    Reacting Node

       A Diameter node that acts upon an overload report.

    Overload Control State (OCS)

       State describing an occurrence of overload control maintained by
       reporting and reacting nodes.

    Overload Report (OLR)

       A set of AVPs sent by a reporting node indicating the start or
       continuation of an occurrence of overload control.

 Current text:

    Abatement Algorithm

       An algorithm requested by reporting nodes and used by reacting
       nodes to reduce the amount of traffic sent during an occurrence of
       overload control.

    Throttling

       Throttling is the reduction of the number of requests sent to an
       entity.  Throttling can include a client dropping requests, or an
       agent rejecting requests with appropriate error responses.
       Clients and agents can also choose to redirect throttled requests
       to some other entity or entities capable of handling them.

       Editor's note: Propose to add a definition of Abatement to include
       both throttling and diversion (redirecting of messages) actions.
       Then to modify this definition to include just the rejecting of
       requests and adding a definition of diversion.

    Reporting Node

       A Diameter node that generates an overload report.  (This may or
       may not be the overloaded node.)

    Reacting Node

       A Diameter node that consumes and acts upon a report.  Note that
       "act upon" does not necessarily mean the reacting node applies an
       abatement algorithm; it might decide to delegate that downstream,
       in which case it also becomes a "reporting node".

    Overload Control State (OCS)

       State describing an occurrence of overload control maintained by
       reporting and reacting nodes.

    Overload Report (OLR)

       A set of AVPs sent by a reporting node indicating the start or
       continuation of an occurrence of overload control.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-dime-
  [email-masked]           |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major                    |  Milestone:
Component:  draft-ietf-dime-ovli     |    Version:
 Severity:  Active WG Document       |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://tools.ietf.org/wg/dime/trac/ticket/75>
dime <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/dime/>

---

From: "dime issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 09:04:49 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Updated document with the following:

    Abatement

    Abatement Algorithm

    Diversion

       Abatement of traffic sent to a reporting node by a reacting node
       in response to receipt of an overload report.  The abatement is
       achieved by diverting traffic from the reporting node to another
       Diameter node that is able to process the request.

    Host-Routed Request

       The set of requests that a reacting node knows will be served by a
       particular host, either due to the presence of a Destination-Host
       AVP, or by some other local knowledge on the part of the reacting
       node.

    Overload Report (OLR)

    Reacting Node

       A Diameter node that consumes and acts upon a report.

    Realm-Routed Request

       The set of requests that a reacting node does not know the host
       that will service the request.

    Reporting Node

    Throttling

       Throttling is the reduction of the number of requests sent to an
       entity.  Throttling can include a client dropping requests, or an
       agent rejecting requests with appropriate error responses.  In
       extreme cases servers can also throttle requests when requested
       reductions in traffic does not sufficiently address the overload
       scenario.

 Severity:  Active WG Document       |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                           |

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/dime/trac/ticket/75#comment:1>
dime <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/dime/>

---

From: "dime issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 04:52:31 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |       Owner:  draft-ietf-dime-
  [email-masked]           |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  major                    |   Milestone:
Component:  draft-ietf-dime-ovli     |     Version:
 Severity:  Active WG Document       |  Resolution:  fixed
 Keywords:                           |
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/dime/trac/ticket/75#comment:2>
dime <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/dime/>