Subject: [Dime] Changes to section 4.1.3 Agent Behavior subsection of Capability Announcement

From: Steve Donovan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 10:43:15 -0600

All,

I've made some substantial changes to section 4.1.3.  This was based on 
discussions in Honolulu pointing out that clarifications were needed.

Here's the now section.

Regards,

Steve

-----

4.1.3.  Agent Behavior

    Editor's Note: Need to verify changes in this section.

    Diameter Agents that support DOIC SHOULD ensure that all messages
    relayed by the agent contain the OC-Supported-Features AVP.

    A Diameter Agent SHOULD take on reacting node behavior for Diameter
    endpoints that do not support the DOIC solution.  A Diameter Agent
    detects that a Diameter endpoint does not support DOIC reacting node
    behavior when there is no OC-Supported-Features AVP in a request
    message.

    For a Diameter Agent to be a reacting node for a non supporting
    Diameter endpoint, the Diameter Agent MUST include the OC-Supported-
    Features vector in request messages it receives that do not contain
    the OC-Supported-Features AVP.

    A Diameter Agent SHOULD take on reporting node behavior for Diameter
    endpoints that do not support the DOIC solution.  A Diameter Agent
    detects that a Diameter endpoint does not support DOIC reporting node
    behavior when there is no OC-Supported-Features AVP in an answer
    message for a transaction that contained the OC-Supported-Features
    AVP in the request message.

    For a Diameter Agent to take on reporting node behavior for a non
    supporting Diameter endpoint the Diameter Agent MUST include the OC-
    Supported-Features vector in answer messages it receives that do not
    contain the OC-Supported-Features AVP.

    As with a Diameter endpoint taking on reporting node behavior, a
    Diameter Agent MUST only include the OC-Supported-Features AVP in
    answer messages for transactions where the request message received
    by the Diameter Agent had an OC-Supported-Features AVP.

    If a request message already has the OC-Supported-Features AVP then a
    Diameter Agent MAY leave it unchanged in the relayed message or MAY
    modify it to reflect the features appropriate for the transaction.

       For instance, if the agent supports a superset of the features
       reported by the reacting node then the agent might choose, based
       on local policy, to advertise that superset of features to the
       reporting node.

    If the Diameter Agent changes the OC-Supported-Features AVP in a
    request message then it is likely it will also need to modify the OC-
    Supported-Features AVP in the answer message for the transaction.  As
    such, a Diameter Agent MAY modify the OC-Supported-Features AVP
    carried in answer messages.

    When making changes to the OC-Supported-Features AVP the Diameter
    Agent needs to ensure that there is no ambiguity in DOIC behavior for
    both upstream and downstream DOIC nodes.