Subject: [Dime] DA overload comment on 3.2 Diameter end-point use cases

From: "TROTTIN, JEAN-JACQUES (JEAN-JACQUES)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 12:46:13 +0000

Hi

About DA overload (draft-ietf-dime-agent-overload), I have a comment about section 3.2 (Diameter Endpoint Use Cases) / 3.2.1. I do not well see the reasons  why a server would send "peer overload" reports in addition to the ovli OLRs specified in draft-ietf-dime-ovli , as it creates overlap. The DA is aware that it is a peer of the server; so the DA can handle the received ovli OLRs from the server as peer OLRs if it wants. So I would limit the draft-ietf-dime-agent-overload only to DA overload  and the associated peer overload report to be generated by DA only .

Best regards

JJacques

---

From: Steve Donovan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 17:08:02 +0200

JJacques,

Thanks for the comment.

I would assume that the Diameter endpoint (server for this discussion) 
would send either a peer report or a host report.  There would be no 
reason for the server to send both.

A host report is processed and passed on by agents.

A peer report is consumed by agents and, most likely, a new peer report 
is generated by the agent.

The peer report is envisioned to be used for multiple reasons.  The 
first is defined in the agent overload draft to allow agents to 
communicate overload state.  The second is for overload abatement 
algorithms that require peer-to-peer semantics.  The first case of this 
second usage is the rate overload abatement algorithm.

Regards,

Steve

On 7/20/15 2:46 PM, TROTTIN, JEAN-JACQUES (JEAN-JACQUES) wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> About DA overload (draft-ietf-dime-agent-overload), I have a comment 
> about section 3.2 (Diameter Endpoint Use Cases) / 3.2.1. I do not well 
> see the reasons  why a server would send “peer overload” reports in 
> addition to the ovli OLRs specified in draft-ietf-dime-ovli , as it 
> creates overlap. The DA is aware that it is a peer of the server; so 
> the DA can handle the received ovli OLRs from the server as peer OLRs 
> if it wants. So I would limit the draft-ietf-dime-agent-overload only 
> to DA overload  and the associated peer overload report to be 
> generated by DA only .
>
> Best regards
>
> JJacques
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> DiME mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime