Subject: [Dime] Protocol Action: 'Diameter Congestion and Filter Attributes' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dime-congestion-flow-attributes-02.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 08:13:39 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Diameter Congestion and Filter Attributes'
  (draft-ietf-dime-congestion-flow-attributes-02.txt) as Proposed
Standard

This document is the product of the Diameter Maintenance and Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise, Kathleen Moriarty and Joel
Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dime-congestion-flow-attributes/

Technical Summary

This document defines optional Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) 
and filter related attributes that can be used for improved traffic 
identification, support of ECN and minimized filter administration 
within Diameter.  

RFC 5777 (Traffic Classification and QoS Attributes for Diameter) 
defines a Filter-Rule AVP that accommodates extensions for 
classification, conditions and actions. 

In this draft, the Classifier Grouped AVP contained in the Filter-Rule 
AVP is extended with the new ECN-IP-Codepoint AVP which gives the 
Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) codepoint values (defined in 
RFC3168) to match in the IP header. Moreover, the Filter-Rule Grouped 
AVP itself is extended with a new Congestion-Treatment AVP that 
indicates how congested traffic should be treated.

The Flow-Count and Packet-Count AVPs are also defined in this document 
to be sent to report in application specific command information of the 
group of flows described by the Filter-Rule, IPFilterRule or other 
Diameter traffic filters. This information can be used by the 
application for improved decision making, Charging and rudimentary 
traffic profiling.

Working Group Summary

The working group has consensus supporting this draft.

Document Quality

No additional reviews are requested.

Personnel

The document shepherd is Lionel Morand.
The responsible Area Director is Kathleen Moriarty.

IANA Note

 This daft provides the specification required to add IANA allocated AVP
 codes in the IANA-controlled namespace registry specified in Section
 11.1.1 of [RFC6733] for the AVPs defined in this document.