Subject: [dispatch] "profile datasets" and the SIP UA configuration system

From: "Dale Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 18:02:51 -0400

I'm restarting work on the SIP UA configuration system, also known as
"profile datasets".  I'd like to get feedback:

- Is DISPATCH the correct mailing list for this discussion?  (I assume
so, since the work used to be on SIPPING.)

- The I-Ds that I know of that define profile datasets (or the overall
profile dataset meta-schema) are:

 draft-ietf-sipping-profile-datasets
 draft-ietf-sipping-media-policy-dataset
 draft-ietf-sipping-session-indep-policy

Are there any others?

Dale

---

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 19:16:16 -0500

Hi Dale,

DISPATCH is the right working group for this discussion. There is
already a tentative charter item for figuring out what to do with this
work: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/dispatch-charter.html

I also think that draft-ietf-sipping-policy-package might fit into the
more general topic - it depends upon the media-policy-dataset.  

Also, the draft-ietf-sipping-media-policy-dataset replaced the last
document on your list (-session-indep-policy) and the media-policy doc
also covers session specific policies.

There have been several other individual documents in this area in the
past as well - I'll let those folks speak up if they still have an
interest in this work.

Regards,
Mary. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Worley, Dale (BL60:9D30)
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 5:03 PM
To: DISPATCH
Subject: [dispatch] "profile datasets" and the SIP UA configuration
system

Are there any others?

Dale

_______________________________________________
dispatch mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dispatch

---

From: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 12:24:21 +0200

Isn't there a dividing line someone in here between things that are processed through a WG and those that use other processes, e.g. AD sponsored. It exists for event packages and I thought is was going to occur with these as well.

I just don't know where the dividing line is.

regards

Keith 

> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mary Barnes
> Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:16 AM
> To: Dale Worley; DISPATCH
> Subject: Re: [dispatch] "profile datasets" and the SIP UA 
> configuration system
> 
> Hi Dale,
> 
> DISPATCH is the right working group for this discussion. 
> There is already a tentative charter item for figuring out 
> what to do with this
> I also think that draft-ietf-sipping-policy-package might fit 
> into the more general topic - it depends upon the 
> media-policy-dataset.  
> 
> Also, the draft-ietf-sipping-media-policy-dataset replaced 
> the last document on your list (-session-indep-policy) and 
> the media-policy doc also covers session specific policies.
> 
> There have been several other individual documents in this 
> area in the past as well - I'll let those folks speak up if 
> they still have an interest in this work.
> 
> Regards,
> Mary. 
> 
> 
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Worley, Dale 
> (BL60:9D30)
> Subject: [dispatch] "profile datasets" and the SIP UA 
> configuration system
> 
> I'm restarting work on the SIP UA configuration system, also 
> known as "profile datasets".  I'd like to get feedback:
> 
> - Is DISPATCH the correct mailing list for this discussion?  
> (I assume so, since the work used to be on SIPPING.)
> 
> - The I-Ds that I know of that define profile datasets (or 
> the overall profile dataset meta-schema) are:
>

---

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 08:23:05 -0500

As I understand it, there is supposed to be some flexibility in the
model. However, my understanding was that most things need to at least
first get discussed in DISPATCH so that folks are aware. It's always
possible that someone's event package or new header that they think it
needed for their particular SDO might apply to other SDO's with a modest
tweak, etc. And, of course, other WGs can develop (and charter) event
packages.

My understanding was that this (posting and having some discussion on
DISPATCH mailing list) is the model for event packages per 3427bis -
section 4.1 (second paragraph). There is room in there for AD sponsored,
but my understanding was that initial discussion of the draft in
DISPATCH was still required. Then, it could become AD sponsored and just
require an expert review. 

Regards,
Mary. 

-----Original Message-----
From: DRAGE, Keith (Keith) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 5:24 AM
To: Barnes, Mary (RICH2:AR00); Worley, Dale (BL60:9D30); DISPATCH
Subject: RE: [dispatch] "profile datasets" and the SIP UA
configurationsystem

Isn't there a dividing line someone in here between things that are
processed through a WG and those that use other processes, e.g. AD
sponsored. It exists for event packages and I thought is was going to
occur with these as well.

regards

Keith 

> There is already a tentative charter item for figuring out what to do 
> with this

---

From: "Dale Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 17:44:29 -0400

> more general topic - it depends upon the media-policy-dataset.  

Currently, I don't classify draft-ietf-sipping-policy-package as being
involved in this discussion because it does not depend on the config
schema, it only specifies that the event package carry such XML
documents.  Of course, that distinction breaks down because
policy-package users are interested that the schema carry the
information that they need, but that's more of a semantic
interest/constraint than a syntactic one.

> past as well - I'll let those folks speak up if they still have an

Given the ambiguities involved, it looks like Dispatch is a good place
to get the discussion started.

Dale

---

From: "Elwell, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 10:06:35 +0100

A couple of these drafts are being considered in the context of the SIP
Forum UA config work, so I would welcome trying to get this work moving
again through discussions in DISPATCH at IETF75.

John

> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Dale Worley
> Sent: 13 May 2009 22:44
> To: Mary Barnes
> Cc: DISPATCH
> Subject: Re: [dispatch] "profile datasets" and the SIP 
> UAconfiguration system
> 
> area in the

---

From: "Dale Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 17:17:35 -0400

On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 10:06 +0100, Elwell, John wrote:
> Forum UA config work, [...]

Are there any other "profile datasets" that people are now constructing?
It always helps, when defining an abstract schema, to have two or three
concrete uses to hand.

Dale