Subject: [dispatch] Charter proposal: Session Recording Protocol

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 08:33:40 -0500

Hi: The following charter proposal is a continuation of the
work presented on the same topic (SIP Session Recording)
at the Stockholm IETF.

Regards,

The Session Recording Protocol (SRP) working group is chartered to 
define a SIP-based protocol for controlling a session (media) recorder.

Session recording is a critical requirement in many business 
communications environments such as call centers and financial trading 
floors.  In some of these environments, all calls must be recorded for 
regulatory and compliance reasons.  In others, calls may be recorded for 
quality control, business analytics, or consumer protection.  Recording 
is typically done by sending a copy of the media to the recording 
devices.  The working group will produce a specification for a protocol 
that will manage delivery of media from an end-point that originates 
media or that has access to it to a recording device. PBX and recording 
vendors today implement proprietary, incompatible mechanisms to 
facilitate recording. A standard protocol will reduce the complexity and 
cost of providing such recording services.

The Session Recording problem presents certain unique requirements that 
are not addressed in the current SIP protocol specification. These 
include requirements such as the need for a distinction between the 
session that is being recorded versus the session that has been 
established for recording.

The SRP Working Group will thoroughly identify use cases, provide 
example system architectures and deployment scenarios, and define 
requirements.

The scope of the activity includes:

  * Recorder Control
  * Session metadata content and format
  * Security mechanisms, including transport and media encryption
  * Negotiation of recording media streams

Privacy and security of conversations are significant concerns. The 
group will define these issues and rationalize with IETF standards and 
practices. This includes privacy concerns (including RAVEN), encryption, 
NAT traversal, SIP-enabled firewalls, authorization, and security.

The group will produce:

  * Updated Requirements, Use Cases, Architecture draft
  * Specification for Session Recording Protocol

Timeline:

   Apr 2010   Requirements, Use Cases, Architecture to IESG as 
Informational Draft

   Nov 2010   Submit protocol draft to IESG as standards track

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60566 (USA)
Email: vkg@{alcatel-lucent.com,bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Web:   http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/vkg/

---

From: Lorenzo Miniero <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:11:23 +0200

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 08:33:40 -0500
"Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> dispatch mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dispatch
> 

Hi Vijay,

as a group we find this subject very interesting, and so we definitely
support the charter proposal. We have a related draft on session
recording (even though it's quite focused on conferencing at the
moment)

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-romano-dcon-recording-00

so we'd be glad to contribute to the work to be done in here.

Lorenzo

-- 
Lorenzo Miniero <[email-masked]>

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 08:52:21 -0500

> so we'd be glad to contribute to the work to be done in here.

Lorenzo: Thank you for your note of support.

I, as well as others on the SRP author list, did indeed look at
your draft over the summer; IIRC, a good part of it is
synchronizing other multimedia objects to the recorded source
as well.

We will be releasing an update to the requirements draft shortly,
and it would be great to have you contribute to the discussion
therein.

Once again, thanks.

- vijay