Subject: [dispatch] FW: I-D Action:draft-roychowdhury-6lowappsip-00.txt

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:42:45 -0400

For your reading pleasure...

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2009 10:30 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action:draft-roychowdhury-6lowappsip-00.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title           : Motivation for SIP as an application protocol for
6lowpan devices
	Author(s)       : A. Roychowdhury, S. Gouran
	Filename        : draft-roychowdhury-6lowappsip-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2009-10-18

The Smart Grid [8] initiative is an effort in modernization of the
electricity grid using communication technology with the primary goals of
reducing energy consumption, reducing cost (utilities and consumers),
increasing reliability and the creation of new services for all participants
in the value chain. The core focus of this initiative is the specification
of a 'Communications Overlay' network which can help facilitate intelligent
communication (discovery, session establishment, routing, addressing to name
a few)  between various nodes of the heterogeneous Smart Grid network. 
 
  Motivation for SIP as an application protocol for 6lowpan devices

One of the 'network segments' of the Smart Grid network is the Home Area
Network (HAN) and how residential and/or commercial devices (such as TV,
washing machine, surveillance camera, etc.) interact with the smart
meter/energy management system and vice-versa. 
 
This draft is an initial input for consideration of SIP as an appropriate
application protocol for use inside devices that operate over low powered IP
networks.  
 
The authors do NOT propose the use of SIP for all HAN devices. 
Rather, the authors believe that SIP is an appropriate protocol for certain
categories of devices and therefore, the 6lowapp group should consider SIP
as an appropriate protocol for the same. The final protocol that is ideal
for a particular device communication will always be determined by the
use-case(s) that are envisioned for the same. 
 
This draft does NOT discuss the use of SIP inside the smart meter (while the
authors believe that the smart meter would also benefit from SIP, that is
the scope of another draft and does not apply to the 6lowapp work).
Therefore, in all diagrams and references, the authors have used the term
'Energy Management System (EMS)' to refer to the customer premise EMS that
may or may not be the smart meter itself. 

Conventions used in this document 
 
In examples, "C:" and "S:" indicate lines sent by the client and server
respectively. 
The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED",  "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
document are to be interpreted as described in RFC-2119 [1]. 
 
The term EMS refers to the customer premise Energy Management System which
may be the smart meter or an adjunct devices that communicates with the
utility core network for the purposes of energy management and billing.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-roychowdhury-6lowappsip-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.