Subject: [dispatch] Disaggregate Media: updated charter proposal

From: "Salvatore Loreto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:59:04 +0200

Hi there,

Here a new/updated version of the charter proposal for Disaggregated
Media.
This version includes all the suggestions and comments received in the
list discussion.

Best regards
Salvatore Loreto

Disaggregated Media WG Charter
------------------------------
Disaggregated media refers to the ability for a user to create a 
multimedia session combining different media streams coming from 
different devices under his or her control so that they are treated 
by the far end of the session as a single media session.

Generally, a given participant uses a single device to establish (or 
participate in) a given multimedia session.  Consequently, the SIP 
signaling to manage the multimedia session and the actual media 
streams are typically co-located in the same device.  In scenarios 
involving disaggregated media, a user wants to establish a single 
multimedia session combining different media streams coming from 
different devices under his or her control.  This creates a need to 
coordinate the exchange of the those media streams within the multimedia

session.

There are a number of existing mechanisms that can be used to 
coordinate different devices under user's control and to involve them 
in the call (e.g. Message Bus (Mbus) [RFC3259], Megaco [ITU-T H.248.1]
and SIP 3pcc [RFC3725]). However the use of all those mechanisms
requires the presence of a "master" device. That is, at least one among 
the different devices under the control of the same user must support
this
mechanism and be able to become a controller for the other in the call. 
Moreover, the "master" device is supposed to remain involved in the
user's 
session for its entire duration given that performing a handover of the
master role is typically cumbersome and sometime impossible.

The objective of this working group is to develop a framework for 
Disaggregated Media in "loosely-coupled" scenarios, where no single 
device needs to remain in the session for its entire duration and
no single device needs to act as a master.

The framework may describe the use of existing mechanisms (e.g., 3pcc), 
extensions to them, and new mechanisms.

Specifically, the proposed working group will develop the following
deliverables:

1. A framework document describing key design considerations for
   disaggregated media mechanism(s). The document will include use
   cases and functional requirements for the mechanism(s).

2. Specifications of new mechanisms or extensions to existing
    mechanisms if the need is identified in the framework.

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:50:07 -0400

> This version includes all the suggestions and comments received in the

This sounds good to me. One part (highlighted inline below) is a little 
perjorative, but I can live with it.

	Thanks,
	Paul

> Disaggregated Media WG Charter

Its this last sentence that I find perjorative.
How hard something is is debatable, and needs to be considered in light 
of the alternatives. That hasn't been done yet.

But this is a nit, since AFAICT it won't have any effect on the work of 
the group.

> _______________________________________________
> dispatch mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dispatch
>