Subject: [dispatch] Introducing ViPR: a new federation technology

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 02:43:33 -0500

Folks,

As you are all well aware, SIP has been very successful in the 
marketplace as a tool for voice and video within a single domain. Its 
success for inter-domain federation has been more limited, and it has 
seen almost no deployment over the public Internet for any-to-any 
federation, even though this was the model originally envisaged for SIP, 
and a model I still believe in.

This is something that needed to be fixed, and I have fixed it.

Today, Cullen and I submitted documents describing a new technology 
called ViPR. ViPR is a new federation technique which will finally 
enable the any-to-any SIP federation that we have always wanted for SIP. 
It solves several hard problems that have prevented widespread 
federation. In particular, it solves the phone number routing problem, 
providing a non-centralized technique that securely maps phone numbers 
to domains. It also provides a built-in solution for the VoIP anti-spam 
problem - a new one that is specific to VoIP. As such, it enables 
worldwide, scalable, any-to-any federation over the public Internet, 
securely, for phone numbers, and in a way that supports incremental 
deployability.

This technology is not just documents - it is working code, and was 
announced by Cisco today as part of their products shipping early next year.

I'm extremely excited about ViPR, and I think others will be too.

The documents are:

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-rosenberg-dispatch-vipr-overview-01.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-dispatch-vipr-vap-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-dispatch-vipr-pvp-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-dispatch-vipr-sip-antispam-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-dispatch-vipr-reload-usage-00.txt 

Thanks,
Jonathan Rosenberg
[email-masked]

---

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 12:05:55 -0500

OK Asterisk DUNDi on steroids. 

Useful for enterprise to enterprise supply chain federations, since TRIP was
never going to work there, but to a SIP service provider it provides no real
value.

Did I miss something?

>  -----Original Message-----
>  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
>  Behalf Of Jonathan Rosenberg
>  Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 2:44 AM
>  To: [email-masked]
>  Subject: [dispatch] Introducing ViPR: a new federation technology
>  
>  Folks,
>  
>  _______________________________________________
>  dispatch mailing list
>  [email-masked]
>  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dispatch

---

From: "Kevin P. Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 07:05:13 +0900

> OK Asterisk DUNDi on steroids. 

Sort of, yeah :-)

> never going to work there, but to a SIP service provider it provides no real

I came away with the same conclusion you did; it's really only
applicable to closely-aligned parties that want to federate, not for any
 providers that may provide SIP connectivity in between the parties that
want to federate. This would make it somewhat complex to deploy in a
hosted PBX scenario, unless the ViPR server was also virtualized to
provide a separate set of data for each hosted PBX that chose to use ViPR.

-- 
Kevin P. Fleming
Digium, Inc. | Director of Software Technologies
445 Jan Davis Drive NW - Huntsville, AL 35806 - USA
skype: kpfleming | jabber: [email-masked]
Check us out at www.digium.com & www.asterisk.org

---

From: Klaus Darilion <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:51:35 +0100

> never going to work there, but to a SIP service provider it provides no real

I guess it depends on the provider's business model. If the provider 
wants to receive termination fees for incoming calls, then he wont use 
ViPR. If the provider does not care about termination fees, then he can 
allow incoming calls with ViPR, e.g. to save gateway resource.

Anyway, it can use ViPR on outgoing calls to avoid transit costs.

regards
Klaus