Subject: [dispatch] Renaming a WG: LSD -> SPLICES

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 18:24:32 +0300

Folks,

I used to think that naming a WG was a fairly trivial task... now I know
better :o)

to be clear, we are talking about the WG that will work on disaggregated
media in SIP. Originally, the acronym proposed for the WG was DISMANTLE.
However, it was pointed out that DISMANTLE is longer than 8 characters.
Even though there are WGs with acronyms that are longer than 8
characters, such acronyms cause database-related problems. So, we were
asked to change it. The second acronym that was proposed was LSD.
However, it seems there already was a WG called exactly like that, which
concluded a few years ago. Reusing the acronym of an old WG caused some
database problems as well. So, we were asked to change it again. The
third alternative was LSDTRIP. However, at that point, an IESG member
stated that he did not really like drug-related acronyms. So, we were
asked to change it once more.

As the fourth alternative we thought of ELUSIVE (loosELy-coUpled SIp
deVicEs), which is defined as "hard to identify" in the dictionary. This
WG has indeed been hard to identify so far. However, we finally decided
to call it as follows:

  splices   looSely-couPLed sIp deviCES

To splice is defined as:

1 a : to unite (as two ropes) by interweaving the strands b :  to unite
(as lengths of magnetic tape) by overlapping and securing together two ends
2 : to unite, link, or insert as if by splicing
3 : to combine or insert (as genes) by genetic engineering <spliced a
human gene for insulin into a bacterium>

This is actually what the WG will work on. They will take different
media streams and combine them into a session. So, the acronym is very
appropriate.

>From now on, I hope DISPATCH not only produces acceptable charters, but
also acceptable acronyms the first time around ;o)

Cheers,

Gonzalo