Subject: [dispatch] Possible bar bof on a global videoconferencing / telepresence directory ?

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:12:21 -0400

Something that I have been giving a lot of thought to recently is how  
to establish a global directory for videoconferencing and  
telepresence, and whether this should be based on / derived from ENUM.

So, I am wondering if

- there are others here interested in this same topic and
- whether or not we should get together briefly for a "bar bof" or an  
even more informal meeting in Maastricht.

So, if this subject interests you, please respond to this email. If  
there is interest, I will set up a quick doodle.

Regards
Marshall

---

From: Peter Musgrave <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:32:24 -0400

I'm interested.

Peter Musgrave

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Something that I have been giving a lot of thought to recently is how to
> establish a global directory for videoconferencing and telepresence, and
> whether this should be based on / derived from ENUM.
>
> So, I am wondering if
>
> - whether or not we should get together briefly for a "bar bof" or an even
> more informal meeting in Maastricht.
>
> So, if this subject interests you, please respond to this email. If there is
> interest, I will set up a quick doodle.
>
> Regards
> Marshall
>
> _______________________________________________
> dispatch mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dispatch
>

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:04:03 -0400

Well, we got a little interest, so I set up a Doodle poll :

http://www.doodle.com/424zcx6iqicfy8nz

If you are interested, please select one or more times. As before, use  
green for prefer, yellow for OK, red for can't make it.

Regards

Marshall

On Jul 22, 2010, at 11:12 AM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> Something that I have been giving a lot of thought to recently is  
> how to establish a global directory for videoconferencing and  
> - whether or not we should get together briefly for a "bar bof" or  
> an even more informal meeting in Maastricht.
>

---

From: "Slava Borilin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 20:32:48 +0400

Marshall,

If you setup directory @ENUM, what about IP-based VCS?
I believe the % of such VCS's will be higher every day.
Moreover, most VCS networks are "closed enterprise networks" so far and
won't participate in any directories/

Why don't we just keep SIP as basic identification for VCS?
Or I am missing something?

Regards,
Slava Borilin

PS: sorry won't be @IETF this time in person

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 23:56:44 -0400

> I believe the % of such VCS's will be higher every day.

True, but I predict that there will be E.164 numbered units for the  
rest of our lives.

> won't participate in any directories/

Partially true. Many of these closed enterprise networks come to  
service providers like Iformata to
connect to other enterprises. They also typically have rooms that they  
would like to expose to the outside (for job or press interviews, say).

I think any directory scheme should be hierarchical in trust and  
disclosure, so you could have internal and external directories.

> Or I am missing something?

How will we identify (say) VCS behind NATs ? What about ones that  
require a gatekeeper ? What about going from H.323 <-> SIP rooms  
through a MCU ?

This is not trivial, which I brought the subject up, and why it would  
benefit from many eyes.

Regards
Marshall

---

From: Venkatesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 12:56:50 -0700

Marshall:

I am not sure I understand the problem this proposal is trying to solve. A
"directory" in my opinion is a repository of data that provides various
kinds of contact information of a person/organization. In this sense, it can
provide things like name, street addresses, phone numbers, fax, email, Web
URL and such. It can potentially be searched (or "looked up") to find
specific person/organization whose name you know. I suspect this is NOT what
you are calling as "directory". I suspect your notion of a directory is how
do I "route" a request to the party who is being "addressed" in the request.
This is akin to email (postal/telephone) infrastructure making a
determination as to how to deliver the request received for the recipient.
Assuming it is the latter you are talking about, there are a variety of
techniques in place that potentially can provide satisfactory solutions to
this problem depending upon how the recipient is identified.  Typical
solutions could be:

1. DNS SRV records if the identity of the recipient is a URL.
2. E.NUM (Public, Infrastructure, Private, or providers like Nuestar..) if
the identity is expressed using the traditional E.164 address.
3. Potentially use ViPR like solutions that are being talked about in the
dispatch mailing list.

Would none of the above address your requirements?

Venkatesh

So, I am wondering if

Regards
Marshall

------ End of Forwarded Message

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 22:25:59 -0400

Based on the doodle, I think that this should be Thursday at lunch and  
(although I would love to hear any other suggestions) we probably  
should just get a lunch at the MECC.

I have invited Bernie Hoeneisen, the ENUM chair.

Regards
Marshall

On Jul 23, 2010, at 12:04 PM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> If you are interested, please select one or more times. As before,  
> use green for prefer, yellow for OK, red for can't make it.
>
> Regards
>
> Marshall
>

---

From: Bernie Hoeneisen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 11:13:36 +0200 (CEST)

While still working with Switch, the Swiss National Research and Education 
Network (NREN), I was actively involved in solving this problem for the 
NREN community. I proposed and implemented a system based on ENUM 
technology. As public user ENUM (e164.arpa) was not available in every 
country, we implemented a transitional solution using a privately 
maintained apex, i.e. nrenum.net.

   http://www.nrenum.net/

Lateron, the nrenum.net activity was shifted to Terena, as almost every 
European NRENs is a member of Terena.

At that time most of the NRENs were using GDS (Global Dialing Scheme) to 
interconnect their Videoconferencing systems. As GDS did only support 
H.323 and was no longer maintained, ENUM was the natural solution to the 
problem.

I'll try to attend the Bar-BoF, so we can talk more about this.

cheers,
  Bernie

--

http://ucom.ch/
Tech Consulting for Internet Standardization

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 05:28:23 -0400

On Jul 26, 2010, at 5:13 AM, Bernie Hoeneisen wrote:

> While still working with Switch, the Swiss National Research and  
> Education Network (NREN), I was actively involved in solving this  
> problem for the NREN community. I proposed and implemented a system  
> based on ENUM technology. As public user ENUM (e164.arpa) was not  
> available in every country, we implemented a transitional solution  
> using a privately maintained apex, i.e. nrenum.net.
>
>  http://www.nrenum.net/
>
> Lateron, the nrenum.net activity was shifted to Terena, as almost  
> every European NRENs is a member of Terena.
>
> At that time most of the NRENs were using GDS (Global Dialing  
> Scheme) to interconnect their Videoconferencing systems. As GDS did  
> only support H.323 and was no longer maintained, ENUM was the  
> natural solution to the problem.
>

Of course, any permanent solution  has to accommodate commercial  
requirements, but this sounds promising.

Marshall

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 06:07:46 -0400

Hello;

I am sorry, but the wiki is incorrect.

This Bar Bof is STILL for tomorrow.

Regards
Marshall

On Jul 25, 2010, at 10:25 PM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> Based on the doodle, I think that this should be Thursday at lunch  
> and (although I would love to hear any other suggestions) we  
> probably should just get a lunch at the MECC.
>
>>> So, if this subject interests you, please respond to this email.  
>>> If there is interest, I will set up a quick doodle.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Marshall
>>>