Subject: Re: [dispatch] Revisionofdraft-allen-dispatch-imei-urn-as-instanceid

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 11:26:46 -0600

Hi Andrew, Christer,

> My understanding also is that IETF nearly a decade ago agreed to
> cooperate with 3GPP (and other standards bodies) in developing and
> enhancing internet protocols

3GPP etc. documents are best served by having them online, up-to-date, on
their respective web sites, where they can be easily searched and studied.
Using IETF RFCs for this seem rather odd, and certainly less effective.

>some people in IETF suddently thinks there are more "fun and sexy" stuff to
>work on than SIP...

As mentioned, after 100's of SIP RFCs and I-Ds over 12+ years, almost all
SIP apps are telephony features, while 100,000s of apps are all using HTML,
some of them to communicate in new ways - quite different from the SIP
telephone call signaling models. RTC-Web may or may not be based on SIP
signaling _alone_ , if at all. Communication models and user habits have
changed very much (and are still changing) since SIP has been defined.

Don't you think we have a problem here?
If yes, wouldn't listening to the IETF technical plenary presentation on the
future of applications be a good start to address the challenge for SIP
applications?

What do you think?

Henry

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 13:28:47 -0500

Henry,

The following is from fdraft-allen-dispatch-imei-urn-as-instanceid:

    RFC 5626 [1] defines that a UA SHOULD create a Universally Unique
    Identifier (UUID) URN as defined in RFC 4122 [6] as its instance-id
    but allows for the possibility of other URN schemes to be used.  If a
    URN scheme other than UUID is used, the UA MUST only use URNs for
    which an RFC (from the IETF stream) defines how the specific URN
    needs to be constructed and used in the "+sip.instance" Contact
    header field parameter for outbound behavior.  This specification
    meets this requirement by specifying how the GSMA IEMEI URN is used
    in the "+sip.instance" Contact header field parameter for outbound
    behavior and draft-montemurro-gsma-imei-urn-06 [3] defines how the
    GSMA IMEI URN is constructed

They are doing what we required them to do. If we had not required an 
RFC then they wouldn't be here with this draft. How can we fault them 
for following the rules?

	Thanks,
	Paul

On 3/11/2011 12:26 PM, Henry Sinnreich wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> dispatch mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dispatch
>