Subject: [dispatch] Session-Id: Problem 2: What is a "session"?

From: "Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 13:26:08 -0500

Paul notes:

> From: Paul E. Jones [[email-masked]]
> 
> What I would expect is that we [identify] the session end-to-end from
> one endpoint to another endpoint.
>  
> We need to get that wording right, but I assume there agreement on
> identifying the communication session end-to-end across zero or more
> B2BUAs. Do folks agree?

The bizarre fact is that Paul's description both is completely
accurate and evades the core problem.

Everyone agrees that a "[big ;-)] session" is the communication
between one "endpoint" and another "endpoint".  The meanings of
"session" and "endpoint" are tightly linked by this fact.

The problem is that we do not have a common understanding of what
constitutes a session, or equivalently, which particular device
functionalities count as "endpoint" as opposed to "B2BUA".

Dale