Subject: [dispatch] The US Federal Communications Commission just sent the RAI/SIP community an early Christmas present...

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 19:01:06 -0400

Folks it was suggested that I resend this message from the RAI list to the
Full Dispatch list.  What you see here is a very significant policy
direction from the US Federal Communications Commission to the SIP
community.

Mandatory IP interconnection between carriers for E.164 named Voice. In
addition there are clauses that mandate non modification of the calling
parties E.164 number in the headers. 

This should come as no surprise to anyone.  Our international carrier
partners at  i3Forum.org have been preaching this for some time. 

>From the FCC executive summary of the Report and Order.   

26. IP-to-IP Interconnection. We recognize the importance of interconnection
to

competition and the associated consumer benefits. We anticipate that the
reforms we adopt will

further promote the deployment and use of IP networks, and seek comment in
the accompanying

FNPRM regarding the policy framework for IP-to-IP interconnection. We also
make clear that

even while our FNPRM is pending, we expect all carriers to negotiate in good
faith in response to

requests for IP-to-IP interconnection for the exchange of voice traffic.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2011/db1027/DOC-3106
92A1.pdf

http://www.snrdenton.com/news__insights/alerts/2011-10-28_overhaul.aspx

http://www.dwt.com/LearningCenter/Advisories?find=441777

I wish to make it clear that I'm personally willing to privately discuss
with the technical community how we can transition our industry to the all
SIP network. 

If you want to speculate on how you translate a E.164 number to a point of
interconnection ..you can,  but RFC 6116 is not a bad starting point though
Global SPID identifiers would work.  ( I gladly gave up my blue dot
recently) 

We won! 

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting
Chairman of the Board of Directors SIP Forum
PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us>
skype-linkedin-facebook: rshockey101
http//www.sipforum.org