Subject: [dispatch] FYI FCC NAMES HENNING SCHULZRINNE CHIEF TECHNOLOGY OFFICER

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 12:45:17 -0500

FCC NAMES HENNING SCHULZRINNE CHIEF TECHNOLOGY OFFICER

(Washington, D.C.) - FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski announced today the
appointment of Henning

Schulzrinne as Chief Technology Officer.

FCC Chairman Genachowski said, "I'm delighted that Henning will be joining
us. The communications

technology revolution is key to our economy and broad opportunity. With the
appointment of Henning -

a world-class technologist - we extend our commitment to technology
excellence at the FCC and to

strong engagement with outside technology experts."

As Chief Technology Officer, Schulzrinne will guide the FCC's work on
technology and engineering

issues, together with the FCC's Office of Engineering and Technology. He
will advise on matters across

the agency to ensure that FCC policies are driving technological innovation,
including serving as a

resource to FCC Commissioners. He will also help the FCC engage with
technology experts outside the

agency and promote technical excellence among agency staff. He will be based
in the FCC's Office of

Strategic Planning and Policy Analysis.

Schulzrinne is Julian Clarence Levi Professor of Mathematical Methods and
Computer Science and

Professor of Engineering at The Fu Foundation School of Engineering at
Columbia University. He has

been an Engineering Fellow at the FCC since 2010. He has published more than
250 journal and

conference papers, and more than 70 Internet Requests for Comment (RFCs). He
is widely known for the

development of key protocols that enable voice-over-IP (VoIP) and other
multimedia applications that are

now Internet standards, including the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP). His
research interests include

Internet multimedia systems, applied network engineering, wireless networks,
security, quality of service,

and performance evaluation.

Schulzrinne received his undergraduate degree in economics and electrical
engineering from the

Darmstadt University of Technology, Germany, his MSEE degree as a Fulbright
scholar from the

University of Cincinnati, Ohio and his Ph.D. from the University of
Massachusetts in Amherst,

Massachusetts. He was a member of technical staff at AT&T Bell Laboratories,
Murray Hill and an

associate department head at GMD-Fokus (Berlin), before joining the Computer
Science and Electrical

Engineering departments at Columbia University, New York. He is an IEEE
Fellow and a former member

of the Internet Architecture Board (IAB).

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting
Chairman of the Board of Directors SIP Forum
PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us>
skype-linkedin-facebook: rshockey101
http//www.sipforum.org

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 13:52:36 -0500

On 12/19/11 12:45 PM, Richard Shockey wrote:
> *FCC NAMES HENNING SCHULZRINNE CHIEF TECHNOLOGY OFFICER*

!!!

May he wish for interesting times!

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a role for which success is impossible.

	Best Wishes,
	Paul

> (Washington, D.C.) – FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski announced today the
> appointment of Henning
>
> FCC Chairman Genachowski said, “I’m delighted that Henning will be
> joining us. The communications
>
> technology revolution is key to our economy and broad opportunity. With
> the appointment of Henning –
>
> a world-class technologist – we extend our commitment to technology
> strong engagement with outside technology experts.”
>
> As Chief Technology Officer, Schulzrinne will guide the FCC’s work on
> issues, together with the FCC’s Office of Engineering and Technology. He
> the agency to ensure that FCC policies are driving technological
> innovation, including serving as a
>
> agency and promote technical excellence among agency staff. He will be
> based in the FCC’s Office of
>
> Schulzrinne is Julian Clarence Levi Professor of Mathematical Methods
> and Computer Science and
>
> been an Engineering Fellow at the FCC since 2010. He has published more
> than 250 journal and
>
> conference papers, and more than 70 Internet Requests for Comment
> (RFCs). He is widely known for the
>
> now Internet standards, including the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP).
> His research interests include
>
> Internet multimedia systems, applied network engineering, wireless
> networks, security, quality of service,
>
> Schulzrinne received his undergraduate degree in economics and
> electrical engineering from the
>
> Darmstadt University of Technology, Germany, his MSEE degree as a
> Fulbright scholar from the
>
> Massachusetts. He was a member of technical staff at AT&T Bell
> Laboratories, Murray Hill and an
>
> associate department head at GMD-Fokus (Berlin), before joining the
> Computer Science and Electrical
>
> _______________________________________________
> dispatch mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dispatch

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 13:54:13 -0500

> May he wish for interesting times!

I don't think he has to wish for them now...

Marshall

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 14:05:40 -0500

VoIP and related issues will play a major role in the FCC's work in the next year or two. For example, the FCC Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) will be looking at the "PSTN transition"; a video of a recent workshop can be found at

http://www.fcc.gov/events/public-switched-telephone-network-transition-0

The Commission needs input from technically-oriented folks. Thus, don't hesitate to contact me if you or your organization wants to stop by at the Commission, or you have information you want to share. (FCC staff meets with both individuals and groups regularly, both within the rule making process and outside. No campaign donation or JD degree required.)

For what it's worth, I've been tasked with outreach to standardization organizations as one of my responsibilities.

Henning

---

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 14:48:58 -0500

And yours truly was the opening act at the Workshop. 

Henning is absolutely right here. 

If there was ever a time for the RAI community to reach out the policy folks
its now. 

BTW if you really want to understand what is going on here you can add this
to your holiday reading list.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2011/db1122/FCC-11-1
61A1.pdf

War and Peace without the plot. If it seems overwhelming, it is but
regulators have to deal with the law as it is, not as they would prefer it
to be.

Though some of these issues are US specific I would suspect that other
national jurisdictions will start to take up these issues in the upcoming
months and years.

There are very relevant technical issues our community might have to deal
with or certainly clarify. The above order specifically calls out non
modification of the SIP headers by forwarding elements as it might relate to
billing data such as Calling Party Number or SS7 Charge number. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Henning Schulzrinne
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2011 2:06 PM
To: Paul Kyzivat
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [dispatch] FYI FCC NAMES HENNING SCHULZRINNE CHIEF TECHNOLOGY
OFFICER

VoIP and related issues will play a major role in the FCC's work in the next
year or two. For example, the FCC Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) will be
looking at the "PSTN transition"; a video of a recent workshop can be found
at

The Commission needs input from technically-oriented folks. Thus, don't
hesitate to contact me if you or your organization wants to stop by at the
Commission, or you have information you want to share. (FCC staff meets with
both individuals and groups regularly, both within the rule making process
and outside. No campaign donation or JD degree required.)

For what it's worth, I've been tasked with outreach to standardization
organizations as one of my responsibilities.

Henning

---

From: Dan York <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 19:34:16 -0500

Henning,

MANY congrats on your new appointment!  I wish you all the best in this new role ... and certainly may take you up on this invitation below.  I'm very glad with the FCC discussing the PSTN transition to have someone like you in this role. 

For those of you interested, the FCC has nicely made available the video recording for both of the workshops they held this month on the PSTN transition. The first workshop on December 6th covered primarily issues related to: 1) public safety; 2) access to networks for folks with disabilities; 3) challenges facing rural networks; and 4) issues with edge devices such as alarm systems, consumer devices, etc.  The workshop was about 4 hours in length and the video is available at:

http://www.fcc.gov/events/public-switched-telephone-network-transition

The second workshop on December 14th was about 6 or 7 hours long and covered a very wide range of topics. As Richard Shockey mentioned, he led off the day on behalf of the SIP Forum and was followed by many others.  A full list of panelists is at http://www.fcc.gov/document/panelists-slated-dec-14-telephone-network-transition-workshop (you have to click the "Expand" button in the lower right to see the full page).  As Henning mentions below, the video is at the URL:

Congrats again, Henning!

Dan

-- 
Dan York  [email-masked]
http://www.danyork.com/   skype:danyork
Phone: +1-802-735-1624
Twitter - http://twitter.com/danyork
--------------------------------------------------------
All comments and opinions are entirely my own and have no connection whatsoever to any employer, past or present. Indeed, by tomorrow even I might be disavowing these comments.
--------------------------------------------------------