Subject: Re: [dispatch] Review of draft-ivov-xmpp-cusax-02

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 21:22:38 -0600

On 1/27/13 2:15 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I did a review of draft-ivov-xmpp-cusax-02.

Markus, thanks for the review. Emil, Enrico and I have incorporated
almost all of your feedback into the document and expect to submit
version -04 soon. I have one comment below...

> -- Client bootstrap
> 
> The draft says: "While it should be possible for CUSAX users to 
> manually configure their separate SIP and XMPP accounts,
> dual-stack SIP/XMPP clients ought to provide means of online
> provisioning. While the specifics of such mechanisms are outside
> the scope of this specification, they should make it possible for a
> service provider to remotely configure the clients based on minimal
> user input (e.g., only a user ID and password)."
> 
> It is clearly said the mechanisms are out of scope. But in terms
> of interoperability and deployment scenarios this is an important 
> question. Naturally any proprietary mechanisms can be used, but
> that limits the deployment to cases where there is some kind of
> special relationship between the SIP + XMPP client and at least
> some part of the server infra. For independent clients, it would be
> useful to at least point out and probably recommend some
> mechanisms. In SIP there is the relatively recent UA configuration
> work, and I believe XMPP has something directly targeted for
> account/client provisioning. Those should be brought up.

As far as I know, those efforts might be too immature to reference
here. One example is the aggsrv BoF held at IETF 86 -- it might result
in usable technologies, but much work will be required to produce that
outcome. Perhaps the SIP UA configuration work is farther along, but
we have nothing like that for XMPP.

Peter

- -- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/