Subject: [dispatch] [Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-johansson-dane-sip-00.txt]

From: "Olle E. Johansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 20:20:38 +0200

Hi!
I've submitted a first version of the draft describing a possible way to
use DANE in SIP. I don't really know which working group - dispatch or
DANE - that will handle this, so I cross-post at this time to get as much
feedback as possible.

I will add more examples, but wanted to get the first draft of the draft
out now.

Greetings from a sunny Malaga in Spain!

/Olle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new version of I-D, draft-johansson-dane-sip-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Olle E. Johansson and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-johansson-dane-sip
Revision:	 00
Title:		 TLS sessions in SIP using DNS-based Authentication of Named
Entities (DANE) TLSA records
Creation date:	 2013-07-10
Group:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 9
URL:            
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-johansson-dane-sip-00.txt
Status:          http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-johansson-dane-sip
Htmlized:        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-johansson-dane-sip-00

Abstract:
   Use of TLS in the SIP protocol is defined in multiple documents,
   starting with RFC 3261.  The actual verification that happens when
   setting up a SIP TLS connection to a SIP server based on a SIP URI is
   described in detail in RFC 5922 - SIP Domain Certificates.

   In this document, an alternative method is defined, using DNS-Based
   Authentication of Named Entities (DANE).  By looking up TLSA DNS
   records and using DNSsec protection of the required queries,
   including lookups for NAPTR and SRV records, a SIP Client can verify
   the identity of the TLS SIP server in a different way, matching on
   the SRV host name in the X.509 PKIX certificate instead of the SIP
   domain.  This provides more scalability in hosting solutions and make
   it easier to use standard CA certificates (if needed at all).

   This document updates RFC 5922.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: John Riordan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 12:10:49 -0400

Hi,

I support the progress of draft-worley-service-example. We've been using this approach in production for well over a year and know others have incorporated it as well.

Cheers,

John Riordan
CTO - OnSIP

(ps: sorry if I mixed email threads on this)

On Jul 8, 2013, at 2:38 PM, Dale R. Worley wrote:

>> From: John Riordan <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> Good to hear. And I would be happy to be used as a reference.
>> 
>> John
> 
> (Sorry about getting this to you late.)
> 
> You can help push draft-worley-service-example along by giving a
> positive response to the DISPATCH working group last call:
> 
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dispatch/current/msg04953.html
> 
>   From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
>   To: DISPATCH <[email-masked]>
>   Cc: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>, Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
>   Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 13:50:04 -0500
> 
>   Hi all,
> 
>   This document got orphaned when the BLISS WG closed and discussions in
>   the past with ADs indicated that it could be AD sponsored.  We would
>   like to request folks to review this document and provide any comments
>   and raise any concerns about it being progressed as AD sponsored no
>   later than July 10th, 2013 (2 weeks time).
>   http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-worley-service-example/
> 
>   Thanks,
>   Mary.