Subject: Re: [dispatch] [cnit] [stir] Application servers - Re: Call Center Implications

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 08:29:24 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Dan
York
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:24 PM
To: Richard Shockey
Cc: [email-masked]; DISPATCH; Brian Rosen
Subject: Re: [cnit] [stir] Application servers - Re: Call Center
Implications

Richard,

> On Oct 31, 2013, at 5:34 PM, "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I am very interested in working on improving caller name.
> 
> [RS> ]  So I'm not completely insane?  :-)  

Welllllll... we can debate that! ;-) But... If you are insane then a number
of us are because I, too, am interested in working on this.

> Ok then it seams the
> conversation is worth having and there is productive work here ..

I will admit that when we started working on STIR, I had it in my head that
when we talking about "secure origin identification" we were talking about
BOTH the phone number and the displayed caller name. I don't think securing
ONLY the phone number fully helps regular users, because the regular person
out there usually looks at (and trusts!) the displayed "Caller ID". 

If we secure the phone number but not the display name, attackers/spammers
are simply going to figure out ways to send a valid phone number but a
confusing display name. Sure, the secured phone number may help track the
attacker down, but in the meantime victims have been fooled into giving up
information. 

[RS> ]  I agree.  We will have to do both eventually.  

So I think we have to look at how we secure both.

> See you in
> London.  

Why London? Are you not in Vancouver? Or were you just saying this is
post-Vancouver work?

[RS> ]  Obviously not enough time to organize a Goals and Requirements or a
draft charter etc.  I'm not in Vancouver. Its something to properly organize
and present in London. 

Dan
_______________________________________________
cnit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cnit