Subject: [dispatch] FYI ... if you might be in the DC area in late March...

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 18:10:42 -0500

DA 14-290

Released: February 28, 2014

FCC CHIEF TECHNOLOGIST TO HOST

NUMBERING TESTBED WORKSHOP

WC Docket No. 13-97

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014, the Commission's Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
will host an

all-day workshop to facilitate the design and development of a Numbering
Testbed. As announced in the

Technology Transitions Order, the goal of the Numbering Testbed is to
convene a community and

provide common resources to enable research into numbering in an all-IP
network, unencumbered by the

constraints of the legacy network and technologies and ensuring that there
is no disruption to them.1 The

Numbering Testbed will operate under the auspices of the North American
Numbering Council (NANC),

which will provide a report to the Commission describing the testbed
activities and making

recommendations.2

The workshop will be an engineering working session, modeled after Internet
Engineering Task

Force (IETF) "birds-of-feather" sessions and "hackathons" in which groups of
technical experts

collaborate intensively to work through technical challenges and create
prototype systems. The workshop

will focus on the basic design and launch of the Testbed as a
non-production, prototype system for

managing numbering resources and obtaining information about these resources
in a post-transitions

world. This workshop has three objectives: (1) to identify gaps in the
existing number assignment and

management systems that may arise during or after transition to an all-IP
environment and opportunities

for simplification; (2) to discuss proposals for a general architecture for
the Testbed and the numbering related

issues it should address; and (3) to facilitate administration and
organization (mailing list,

conference calls) for those individuals who are interested in doing the
prototyping and participating

further in the Testbed process.3

Subsequent engineering workshops may be convened, as needed, to assist
participants in refining

the Testbed and in further exploring the many technical questions raised by
an all-IP, post transitions

numbering management system.

1 See Technology Transitions et al., GN Docket No. 13-5 et al., Order,
Report and Order and Further Notice of

Proposed Rulemaking, Report and Order, Order and Further Notice of Proposed
Rulemaking, Proposal for Ongoing

Data Initiative, FCC 14-5, para. 152 (rel. Jan. 31, 2014) (Technology
Transitions Order) (delegating authority to

"facilitate the development of a telephony numbering testbed for
collaborative, multi-stakeholder research and

exploration of technical options and opportunities for telephone numbering
in an all-IP network"). Developing ideas

in a testbed avoids disrupting current systems and allows interested parties
to work through technical feasibility

constraints to allow for the broadest range of policy options and outcomes.
Id.

2 See id. at para. 168 (encouraging the CTO to collaborate with experts
within the Commission, the NANC and other

Commission advisory committees, industry standards organizations, academic
institutions, and others with

numbering management expertise).

3 See id. at para. 167.

2

Participation is open to any and all technical experts. We particularly
welcome software and

network engineers with experience implementing telephony-related systems and
contributing to

numbering or naming-related standards. Additional details concerning the
workshop agenda will be

forthcoming.

Attendance. The workshop is open to the public, and will be held at FCC
Headquarters, located

at 445 12th Street, SW, Washington, DC 20554. All attendees are advised to
arrive approximately 30

minutes prior to the start of the workshop to allow time to go through our
security process. Attendees are

encouraged to pre-register by submitting their name and affiliation via
email to Robert Cannon

([email-masked]) in order to expedite the check-in process the day of
the event. Please use

"Numbering Testbed Workshop" as the subject line in your email.

Ex Parte Rules. This proceeding has been designated as a
"permit-but-disclose" proceeding in

accordance with the Commission's ex parte rules.

The meeting site is fully accessible to people using wheelchairs or other
mobility

aids. Reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities are available
upon request. Include a

description of the accommodation you will need and tell us how to contact
you if we need more

information. Make your request as early as possible. Last minute requests
will be accepted, but may be

impossible to fill. Send an email to: [email-masked] or call the Consumer &
Governmental Affairs

Bureau at 202-418-0530 (voice), 202-418-0432 (tty).

Contact: Robert Cannon, Office of Strategic Planning and Policy Analysis,

[email-masked], (202) 418-2421.

-FCC

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC 

http://www.shockey.us
Chairman of the Board of Directors SIP Forum
PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683
< <mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> mailto:richard(at)shockey.us>
skype-linkedin-facebook: rshockey101
http://www.sipforum.org

"Money is the answer, what is the question?" tm