Subject: [dispatch] Standardization of FFV1, Matroska

From: Tessa Fallon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 12:30:44 -0400

Greetings!

MediaConch: Media Conformance Checker (maintained by MediaArea and funded
by PREFORMA*) is looking to solicit feedback from the IETF for proposed
standardization of FFV1 and Matroska.

The current (and under development) specifications for FFV1 exist here:
https://mediaarea.net/ffv1.html <https://mediaarea.net/temp/ffv1.html>
and here for Matroska:
 http://matroska.org/technical/specs/index.html
<https://github.com/Matroska-Org/foundation-source/blob/master/spectool/specdata.xml>

The goal of the PREFORMA project is to address the challenge of
implementing good quality standardised file formats for preserving data
content in the long term. Our objective in regards to standardization FFV1
and Matroska is to improve the sustainability factors for both formats
including disclosure, credibility, and transparency while also creating a
mechanism to clarify, authoritatively, the intent of the specifications.
After careful research into past IETF work (in particular Daala and Opus),
we are planning to prepare FFV1 and Matroska for submission to the IETF.

Our preparations are not yet at the stage where we have created a formal
draft or submission for the IETF.  Before we proceed, we'd like to engage
the IETF community in discussion of the specifications and suitability for
IETF.

Briefly, FFV1 is a lossless video codec and Matroska is an extensible open
source media container.   Matroska is the base of WebM, and WebM is the
preferred container for VP9, which has a draft RFC:
 https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-grange-vp9-bitstream-00
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-grange-vp9-bitstream-00>

Work on FFV1 is coordinated through the GitHub and the ffmpeg-devel mailing
list (http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-devel). Work on Matroska is
coordinated through GitHub and the Matroska.org devel mailing list (
http://lists.matroska.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/matroska-devel).

GitHub repositories are here:
https://github.com/MediaArea/FFV1
https://github.com/Matroska-Org/ebml-specification

We look forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions.

Best wishes,

Tessa Fallon, on behalf of MediaArea

* PREFORMA is a project funded by the European Union as part of FP7. More
information about PREFORMA can be found here:
http://www.preforma-project.eu/

---

From: "Cullen Jennings (fluffy)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 19:30:06 +0000

As a user, I'd like to see well defined specifications for both of these. I think dispatch is a good place to discuss how we could move this work forward. 

Cullen

> On May 21, 2015, at 10:30 AM, Tessa Fallon <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Greetings!
> 
> MediaConch: Media Conformance Checker (maintained by MediaArea and funded by PREFORMA*) is looking to solicit feedback from the IETF for proposed standardization of FFV1 and Matroska.  
> 
> The current (and under development) specifications for FFV1 exist here: https://mediaarea.net/ffv1.html
> and here for Matroska:
> The goal of the PREFORMA project is to address the challenge of implementing good quality standardised file formats for preserving data content in the long term. Our objective in regards to standardization FFV1 and Matroska is to improve the sustainability factors for both formats including disclosure, credibility, and transparency while also creating a mechanism to clarify, authoritatively, the intent of the specifications. After careful research into past IETF work (in particular Daala and Opus), we are planning to prepare FFV1 and Matroska for submission to the IETF.
> 
> Our preparations are not yet at the stage where we have created a formal draft or submission for the IETF.  Before we proceed, we'd like to engage the IETF community in discussion of the specifications and suitability for IETF.
> 
> Briefly, FFV1 is a lossless video codec and Matroska is an extensible open source media container.   Matroska is the base of WebM, and WebM is the preferred container for VP9, which has a draft RFC: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-grange-vp9-bitstream-00
> 
> Work on FFV1 is coordinated through the GitHub and the ffmpeg-devel mailing list (http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-devel). Work on Matroska is coordinated through GitHub and the Matroska.org devel mailing list (http://lists.matroska.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/matroska-devel). 
> 
> * PREFORMA is a project funded by the European Union as part of FP7. More information about PREFORMA can be found here: http://www.preforma-project.eu/
> _______________________________________________
> dispatch mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dispatch

---

From: "Timothy B. Terriberry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 13:23:10 -0700

> As a user, I'd like to see well defined specifications for both of these. I think dispatch is a good place to discuss how we could move this work forward.

+1

---

From: "Ben Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 21:24:15 -0500

On 26 May 2015, at 15:23, Timothy B. Terriberry wrote:

>> As a user, I'd like to see well defined specifications for both of 
>> these. I think dispatch is a good place to discuss how we could move 
>> this work forward.
>
> +1
>

(no hats) Also +1.

---

From: "Peter B." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 22:33:42 +0200

>>> these. I think dispatch is a good place to discuss how we could move

As an early adopter and supporter of FFV1, and since we're using FFV1
for production/preservation at the Austrian Mediathek (national A/V
archive), we'd be more than interested in well defined reference
specifications, too!

So: +3
(=me, plus 2 of my colleagues from the video department)

Regards,
Peter B.