Subject: [dispatch] GeoJSON question

From: James Winterbottom <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 18:09:45 +1000

It feels like the question is the target of the location ever going to be conveyed with the location information?

---

From: Sean Gillies <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 10:12:59 +0200

> conveyed with the location information?

Are you asking if it's possible to convey, say, phone numbers and locations
of the the phones and the semantics needed to track the devices and their
users together in GeoJSON? This would require a protocol or framework
external to the GeoJSON format. GeoJSON specifies that Features should have
an "id" property and that it should uniquely identify the feature within
its collection. There's no requirement or implication that the id
identifies the thing described by the Feature. GeoJSON's "id" is no more
than Atom's Entry "id" (RFC 4287 has had a major influence on GeoJSON).
Semantics such as what it would mean to use, eg, "tel:867-5309" as a
feature id are not defined by GeoJSON.

-- 
Sean Gillies

---

From: James Winterbottom <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 07:47:52 +1000

Thanks Sean. That clarifies my question.

> On 24 Jul 2015, at 6:12 pm, Sean Gillies <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 10:09 AM, James Winterbottom <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> Are you asking if it's possible to convey, say, phone numbers and locations of the the phones and the semantics needed to track the devices and their users together in GeoJSON? This would require a protocol or framework external to the GeoJSON format. GeoJSON specifies that Features should have an "id" property and that it should uniquely identify the feature within its collection. There's no requirement or implication that the id identifies the thing described by the Feature. GeoJSON's "id" is no more than Atom's Entry "id" (RFC 4287 has had a major influence on GeoJSON). Semantics such as what it would mean to use, eg, "tel:867-5309" as a feature id are not defined by GeoJSON.
> 
> -- 
> Sean Gillies
> _______________________________________________
> dispatch mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dispatch