Subject: [dispatch] Proposed new DISPATCH WG charter

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 17:03:45 -0500

Hi all,

Below please find a proposed new/updated charter for the DISPATCH WG. This
charter reflects the merging of the APP and RAI areas.  We will set aside
some time during the DISPATCH WG session in Yokohama to discuss, but please
do provide any comments on the mailing list prior to that.

Regards,
Mary
on behalf of DISPATCH WG chairs, APPSAWG chairs and ART ADs

———————————————————————————————————————
# Draft Charter for Dispatch Working Group

The Dispatch working group is chartered to consider proposals for new
work in the ART area and identify, or help create, an appropriate venue
for the work.

Guiding principles for the proposed new work include:

1. Providing a clear problem statement, motivation and deliverables for
   the proposed new work.

2. Ensuring there has been adequate mailing list discussion reflecting
   sufficient interest, individuals have expressed a willingness to
   contribute and there is WG consensus before new work is dispatched.

3. Looking for and identifying commonalities and overlap amongst
   published or ongoing protocol work. Such commonalities may indicate
   the possibility of reusing existing protocols or elements thereof
   published by other WGs, or expanding and/or refactoring the scope of
   deliverables in an active WG.

4. Protecting the architectural integrity of IETF protocols and ensuring
   that new work has general applicability.

5. Ensuring the new work considers the impact on security and privacy of
   both the network and the user.

Options for handling new work include:

- Directing the work to an existing WG.
- Developing a proposal for a BOF.
- Developing a charter for a new WG.
- Making recommendations that documents be AD-sponsored
  (which ADs may or may not choose to follow).
- By agreement with ART ADs, processing simple documents.
- Deferring the decision for the new work.
- Rejecting the new work.

If the group decides that a particular topic needs to be addressed by a
new WG, the normal IETF chartering process will be followed, including,
for instance, IETF-wide review of the proposed charter. Proposals for
large work efforts SHOULD lead to a BOF where the topic can be discussed
in front of the entire IETF community. The DISPATCH WG will not do any
protocol work. Specifically, DISPATCH will always opt to find a location
for technical work; the only work that DISPATCH is not required to
delegate (or defer, or reject) is administrative work such as IANA
actions. Documents progressed as AD-sponsored would typically include
those that do not have general applicability to IETF protocols, but
rather are only applicable to specific use cases and network
deployments, for which the scope must be clearly specified.

Proposed new work may be deferred in cases where the WG does not have
enough information for the chairs to determine consensus. New work may
be rejected in cases where there is not sufficient WG interest or the
proposal has been considered and rejected in the past, unless a
substantially revised proposal is put forth, including compelling new
reasons for accepting the work.

A major objective of the DISPATCH WG is to provide timely, clear
dispositions of new efforts. Thus, where there is consensus to take on
new work, the WG will strive to quickly find a home for it.