Subject: Re: [dispatch] JSON Canonicalization Scheme (JCS) Proposal

From: Samuel Erdtman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 13:01:28 +0200

I support this work I think the use cases that has been mentioned before
(documentation, logging, debug, embedding, countersigningetc.) are valuable
but would like to add another to the list.

My use case if about interaction with legacy systems. In a distributed
environment where systems can publish and subscribe to messages it is hard
or even impossible to do significant changes to the format (XML, JOSN,
base64url) of messages because it will break existing clients subscribing
to the messages. With the solution of cleartext JSON signing adding
end-to-end security by signing the JSON would be very non intrusive (adding
a new attribute) and existing clients could continue to read the JSON
values that they know of while new and updated clients can also verify the
signature of a message when needed.

You could partly solve this with a translation layer but it would be
hard/impossible to get ensure end-to-end security of messages.

I hope this adds to the support of this work

Best regards
//Samuel